Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3397291)   #1
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Largest 'recent' grids for historic saloons?

I was watching this video the other day from a recent meet in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwuUcSBOoY

That is 40 cars heading out for a qualifying session.

A different qualifying session has about 36 cars in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8C8bcN0jU

I can't recall seeing grids of this size recently for historic/classic saloons and was wondering if in the UK we field anything this size, and if so at what meetings?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:19 (Ref:3397355)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The U2TC grid at last year's Silverstone Classic has 51 cars.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3397361)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
First, each UK circuit will have a permit that states how many cars are allowed to start a race. As an example, Snetterton, from memory is allowed 32. So grid sizes will always be small at some circuits, regardless of how many cars want to be on the grid.

Silverstone GP has probably the biggest 'allowance', and as Kipper says the U2TC grid at Silverstone Classic was huge last year. Only 33 finishers however! The Masters Masters Touring car race was slightly smaller with 48 starters, but managed 38 finishers.

So Silverstone Classic is the place to go if big grids are your thing.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 23 Apr 2014 at 17:39. Reason: Typo
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3397376)   #4
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
First, each UK circuit will have a permit that states how many cars are allowed to start a race. As an example, Snetterton, from memory is allowed 32. So grid sizes will always be small at some circuits, regardless of how many cars want to be on the grid.

Mike, just to assist your memory.............

Snetterton 300 - Racing & Sports Cars over 2000cc is 33, Racing & Sports up to 2000cc is 38, All other classes 45

So Snetterton is also the place to go if big grids are your thing.....

Terry
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3397382)   #5
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other places where similar sized grids are allowed (based on the 'other' category from the Blue Book -which covers historic saloons):

Brands GP: 44
Castle Combe: 42 (which I find slightly surprising)

Depending on configuration, Silverstone can start up to 58 cars.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3397393)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTWire View Post
I was watching this video the other day from a recent meet in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwuUcSBOoY

That is 40 cars heading out for a qualifying session.

A different qualifying session has about 36 cars in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8C8bcN0jU

I can't recall seeing grids of this size recently for historic/classic saloons and was wondering if in the UK we field anything this size, and if so at what meetings?
Depends on your definition of "Historic" too.

CSCC Swinging Sixties got so popular that it now splits its grid in to two separate races and they are still both popular.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3397412)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Mike, just to assist your memory.............

Snetterton 300 - Racing & Sports Cars over 2000cc is 33, Racing & Sports up to 2000cc is 38, All other classes 45

So Snetterton is also the place to go if big grids are your thing.....

Terry
Thank you for the clarification, Terry!

Life can be so complicated......
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3397422)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Going back to the OP, they are not pure saloon grids in those vids, so not sure what to compare them with in UK.......
Old 23 Apr 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3397442)   #9
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quality, not quantity……

BvB
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3397479)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Not UK but Barry SS races at Spa are 70 plus !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Apr 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3397540)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I compete in the Heritage Touring Car series in Australia which caters for Group A Touring Cars. We had 42 entries at Phillip Island and last year we had 44 at Eastern Creek.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 04:07 (Ref:3397551)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And the Spa 6hrs has been known to start with 102!
Old 24 Apr 2014, 05:27 (Ref:3397563)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Agree with all that but the OP asked specifically about grids for 'Historic saloons', and in the UK,although the videos linked to had mixed sports, GTs and TCs.....

I think it has to be agreed that Silverstone Classic is the only event that meets the exact above criteria!

What was the reason for the question, HoTWire, I'm a bit lost here.....

Old 24 Apr 2014, 06:25 (Ref:3397575)   #14
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the excellent replies everyone.

Quote:
What was the reason for the question, HoTWire, I'm a bit lost here.....
I've not been able to get to as much racing as I'd like over the last few years, mainly smaller club meets at Brands Hatch, think I managed one day of the HSCC Superprix a couple of years back. I don't know what championships are the championships for saloons and/or GTs now days, some of the series I remembered seemed to have merged or disappeared :/ . When I saw the video I thought I'd like to see something with big varied grids again, and I figured you'd be the best people to ask, what with you actually forming those grids in the most part ...

Looks like the Silverstone Classic is on the cards, although I don't like the spectating at Silverstone so much. I've not been to Snetterton before so I'll have a looksee at that too. Or maybe a trip to Spa in the future.

Again thank you everyone for your replies. You are, as ever, pretty awesome.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3397671)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTWire View Post
Thanks for the excellent replies everyone.

I've not been able to get to as much racing as I'd like over the last few years, mainly smaller club meets at Brands Hatch, think I managed one day of the HSCC Superprix a couple of years back. I don't know what championships are the championships for saloons and/or GTs now days, some of the series I remembered seemed to have merged or disappeared :/ .

Again thank you everyone for your replies. You are, as ever, pretty awesome.
I don't recognise myself in either of those last two adjectives, can't speak for others.....

In UK you need to look at the big HSCC and Masters meetings at BH, both on GP layout. Other larger events at Silverstone include HSCC mid May and MG Live. Think most would agree about problems spectating at the circuit! The Donington Festival beginning of May is also growing in stature, although not sure yet of grid sizes this year.

Spa has at least 3 big historic meetings, Spa Classic mid May (same w/end as HSCC Silverstone) will have high quality grids (if not large) including GpC, then the Summer Classic will have lots of UK Club support. Later on, the 6 hr meeting in September will have have mostly huge and high quality grids. The 6hr race itself has 114 entries this year, including 14 GT40s........

Last year I went to the Nurburgring Oldtimer meeting in August for first time. Races on the Nordshleife and GP circuit, and spectacular displays of cars in the paddock. Worth considering, I will definitely be going back!
Old 24 Apr 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3397710)   #16
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Last year I went to the Nurburgring Oldtimer meeting in August for first time. Races on the Nordshleife and GP circuit, and spectacular displays of cars in the paddock. Worth considering, I will definitely be going back!
I competed in the Youngtimer 4hrs back in 1996, think there was something like 160 cars that crossed the start line in 3 waves.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3397793)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon, youngtimers is still as popular, and VERY affordable.Couple of weeks ago we had one at the Ring.One hour race, forty minute qualifying all for 150 euro! Nearly forgot the free lunch-drinks through the day.Anyways, back to the op.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3399665)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Simon, youngtimers is still as popular, and VERY affordable.Couple of weeks ago we had one at the Ring.One hour race, forty minute qualifying all for 150 euro! Nearly forgot the free lunch-drinks through the day.Anyways, back to the op.
Can you give us an overview of the Youngtimer regs please Terence, ie I think its for Pre 81 Saloons, Sports and GTs (but might be wrong !). What sort of mods are allowed etc.

Just to give those of us who don't know much about a flavour for historic racing in another country.

I have looked on line and I can find results but can't find regs or an overview of what its all about.

Cheers
Old 29 Apr 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3399788)   #19
spike66
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
spike66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only 33 at last years Donnington festival,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5aub3fTaA
Old 29 Apr 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3399791)   #20
spike66
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
spike66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
counted 47 at Silverstone classic but there may have been some in the garage already,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoKocewg9gQ

It has been said already , quality over quantity