Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1020403)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark Taylor Gone ......

The news released today by Panther Racing is that the team and Mark Taylor have decided to go their separate ways effective now...

They have not named a driver for this weekend's race at Kansas...

I don't think this news is a surprise to any of us...

He had his moments, and has been fairly quick in qualifying in some races (just look at last weekend), but he hit a lot of walls this year....

Now I have to go over and "Change" my "Pick 'ems" for this weekend...

Unless everyone will just concede those 2 points to me....since he will be the "First Out of the Race"

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1020431)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark would probably be best coming home and trying for a GP2 drive next year.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1020442)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thats a shame. He did indeed have his moments, but it's clear that the IndyCar Series was a bit too much.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1020451)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The question now is... who will land that seat at Panther?

In the right hands it should be a competitive effort (one that, to be frank, keeps it off the walls and off other cars), so I reckon quite a few people will be interested in it...

Ah, it's like Silly Season never ended

Last edited by rustyfan; 29 Jun 2004 at 18:39.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1020462)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, no surprise there. He needed a good, clean race at Richmond, and he didn't deliver it. It seemed like a mutual decision, so I think Mark knew the gig was up.

I'm hoping for Jeff Simmons to get the ride. What are the chances?

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1020473)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thats a good call, GP. I hope Simmons gets the ride
Old 29 Jun 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1020557)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jeff Simmons would be ideal, he's showed that he has the pace and drove a steady 500. Menard might be reggretting loaning Meira out?

So far none of you have considered the other posisbility - what if there will be no #2 car for the balance of the season? Maybe they've ran out of money for it, or the partnership between Menard and Barnes has fallen apart?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1020634)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
That may very well be the case, but by the looks of it it was a driver/team split up and considering Mark's performance that would seem to be the case.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1020683)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Jeff Simmons would be ideal, he's showed that he has the pace and drove a steady 500. Menard might be reggretting loaning Meira out?

So far none of you have considered the other posisbility - what if there will be no #2 car for the balance of the season? Maybe they've ran out of money for it, or the partnership between Menard and Barnes has fallen apart?

The headline on the IRL site said "Panther to Replace Mark Taylor"...

The actual copy within the story didn't say that....it said they have not named a driver for this weekend...

Menard has the money and a full-season sponsor deal for his end of that partnership....

I see them naming another driver....and there are plenty out there....

The guy I'd like to see get a seat is Richie hearn, but he is running his own Star Mazda team (and he's not driving them...young hot shots are) and will be with them at Lime Rock this weekend....

Menard nad barnes have both been good at picking up excellent young talent....

Simmons would be a very good choice....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1020740)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
And of course, John Menard has a bit of a reputation with drivers...
Old 29 Jun 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1020807)   #11
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, really?
This may surprise some people (GPRacer, I hope you're sitting down)...but I think Branes might be smart to hire an American driver. It would be a good "PR/Diplomatic" move, IMO.
It's a shame Taylor didn't work out. I'm kinda partial to Brits and he seemed like a nice guy...but nice ain't gonna cut it in racin

GP, I sent you a PM....just to say "hi", etc...
Old 30 Jun 2004, 00:41 (Ref:1020866)   #12
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i heard Taylors replacement for Kansas at least will be Townsend Bell, and Simmons will be taking over for Little Al.. (all unofficial hearsay off course!)
Old 30 Jun 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1020872)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jenna
i heard Taylors replacement for Kansas at least will be Townsend Bell, and Simmons will be taking over for Little Al.. (all unofficial hearsay off course!)
Wow, where did you hear that one?
Old 30 Jun 2004, 01:22 (Ref:1020877)   #14
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
panther website
Old 30 Jun 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1020885)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Your right jenna, Speed is reporting that Bell is in for Kansas, although the team hasn't confirmed that.

And Al Jr. will be announcing his retirement Wedensday, but there is no mention of Simmons. I think its a good thing for Al. He's just not competitive anymore, and its time to move on. I wish him luck!

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jun 2004, 01:37 (Ref:1020889)   #16
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
well i hope Simmons gets his ride, i like him, he did well at the 500..
Old 30 Jun 2004, 05:03 (Ref:1020966)   #17
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bell? Didn't he crash a lot too ? I remember that John Menard was high on Bell for a while but he crashed testing a Cart car the day before he was to get a seat fitted to replace Jaques Lazier in 2002. Pretty nasty crash IIRC. Nothings ever calm when John Menards around.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:58 (Ref:1021018)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
A shame for Mark Taylor , he just needed alot more seat time and to start finishing races.

I hope he can find something to race as I think he has potential.

anyway good luck to him whatever he does.

I read too that Townsend bell may take the ride , Im gonna reserve my judgement on him as I think this could turn out to be a worse move for Panther.

No idea about the Patrick ride as of yet (that I know of) but there are sure alot of guys around who could pedal the thing hard.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 07:05 (Ref:1021025)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wonder why firing replacing him a few days before a race: the newbie, whoever heis, will not have much time to get used with the car, thus he'll hardly perform better.

About possible names, a personal hypothesis: Kenny Brack?

Why not? After all at Rahal the current drivers are doing very fine, and there's no reason to out one of them aside.
And, we know, expanding the lineup to 3 drivers means a lot of complex and costly operations on staff and organisation.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1021041)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess one question this raises, is how good is the IPS? Taylor did well there, but flopped in the big league.

Townsend has a reputation for explosive accidents, so it will be interesting to see if he can keep it in one piece.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 07:56 (Ref:1021063)   #21
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
looks like panther will be providing all of the entertainment ie crashes this season!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:03 (Ref:1021071)   #22
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
Taylor did well there, but flopped in the big league.
Taylor beat Simmons all ends up in the IPS. So I don't see why Jeff deserves a ride but Mark does not. Mark has been unlucky, look at Indy where he was taken out when having a good run in a ****box.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:18 (Ref:1021088)   #23
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
good point Ensign , but just on jeff's Indy performance I think he deserves at least another race or 2.

I personally think Taylor should have stayed till the end of the year at least , he's talented but just needs more experience , he cant get that now on the sidelines can he
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:35 (Ref:1021102)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it possible that he simply exhausted his budget, with all those crashes?
It would be a matter of money rather than of results...
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1021111)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Townsend Bell does get the ride, I hope he has matured a bit as a driver - remember that the reason he was thrown out from Champ Car in the first place was that he had a knack of sending himself, and his fellow drivers, into the wall (IIRC).

Hopefully his stint in Formula 3000 has done some good though.