Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 8 May 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3071069)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Judd might consider continuing with another business model but I don't see any other manufacturer joining the fray in the near future.
Old 8 May 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3071125)   #27
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It appears as though Lotus is trying to back out of Danny Bahar's sending spree and sticker campagin as most of what Lotus were backing does not appear as if there is any money to back it up.
Old 14 May 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3074486)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dragon Racing are suing Lotus.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99457
Old 14 May 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3074586)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

"In addition, Dragon claims that Lotus failed to disclose that a corporate reorganisation was underway involving the takeover of its parent company during the winter, which prevented it from meeting the financial obligations of its contract, and accuses the company of "spreading known falsehoods in an attempt to cover for its own shortcomings."

Lotus is yet to make a public response to the lawsuit."

Clearly no one at Dragon did their homework, pathetic and inexcusable in my opinion. The Proton/Lotus issues were widely discussed in Malaysian business news media over the winter. If ordinary old me could find all that, they should have been able to themselves at Dragon. Not to mention everyone with any clue knew years ago this whole Lotus thing was a lot of shiny paint on a styrofoam car.

They can sue, but it's going to be like getting blood from a stone. Good luck.
Old 14 May 2012, 22:29 (Ref:3074612)   #30
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, at the time those deals where inked 'Lotus' was Proton, the Malaysian equivalent of Renault, the Malaysians being eager to raise the profile of that company so money was easy, Judd has been popping out little engines for a long time now, a gamble sure but the players didn't seem bad.

With me the alarm bells rang when I spotted the person of Danny Bahar and his destructive behaviour during the Group-Team Lotus fiasco. A state-appointee with a blank cheque on tax-payers money planning a global campaign which quickly turned into a stickering campaign and now has run out of money for even that. The man was a disaster and now that the Malaysians have bailed out, Lotus is flat on its face.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3083810)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another team for Lotus?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100069
Old 4 Jun 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3085037)   #32
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I do hope so. The Lotus IndyCar effort has looked pretty woeful so far. I really felt for Jean Alesi at Indy. I hope he comes back for another crack, with a better engine this time.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3085079)   #33
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
The company is in serious crisis, I don't see them surviving in Indycar to the end of the year and even if the company was satisfactorily rescued I don't see them being interested in Indycar. de Silvestro will have to hunt for another engine. On that subject, you'd probably have better luck hunting for a unicorn.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3085099)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It'll be interesting to see if another manufacturer will come along and fill the gap.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3085167)   #35
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if another manufacturer will come along and fill the gap.
Technically it is a Judd engine, so could be badged any way a company wanted.

You'd just have to ask why they would want to, especially after comedy like the Detroit race.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3085169)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Technically it is a Judd engine, so could be badged any way a company wanted.

You'd just have to ask why they would want to, especially after comedy like the Detroit race.
I know it's a Judd but Judd are going to have to a lot more work on that engine before anyone else is going to stick their badge on it, never mind the Detroit fiasco.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 14:44 (Ref:3085640)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
More bad news on the Lotus front:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100137
Old 5 Jun 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3085705)   #38
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
More bad news on the Lotus front:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100137
Unless they seriously step it up, they are just wasting their time.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3085738)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Unless they seriously step it up, they are just wasting their time.
I personally think they're on a hiding to nothing. Lotus/Judd came into the game late, without enough time to develop the engine properly and we are seeing the results. They'll be gone soon.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3086174)   #40
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole deal with Lotus is a cluster, to be certain.
When the ownership of Lotus changed hands, the money stopped flowing to Judd. Judd wasn't getting paid, so they quit developing & manufacturing the IndyCar motor. When Judd got paid, work resumed, but they were already WAAAY behind the curve.

It doesn't help when Lotus promised teams material goods like chassis and such as part of their lease contracts for the Lotus lumps. Dragon, specifically, was promised two chassis, which they received one from Lotus. That's why Dragon had only one car for testing at St.Pete.

When Lotus came out and said "everyone who paid for a motor got a motor", Jay Penske got riled up because he was promised a chassis as part of their contract and never received it.
Hence the $4.6M lawsuit.

Furthermore, Lotus admitted to teams that they had no plan for the mid-season engine refresh to improve performance. So they are last on the grid because the motor is garbage and they're doing nothing about it.
I suspect the reason boils down to money. Again, with Judd doing the development work, they would be the ones to squeeze more power out of the motor. Lotus has lost all but one team and ousted their CEO because of alleged embezzlement. I don't see Lotus having any money to pay for more development work.

My media source insists that Lotus plans to be around for the rest of the season, as well as next year. Their logic is that Lotus is pulling from F1, and a portion of the F1 money would go to improvement of the Lotus IndyCar motor.
Honestly, this has been such a craptastical PR nightmare for Lotus, I would think they'd be better off putting their tail between their legs and sneaking out the back door quietly.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3086181)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
The whole deal with Lotus is a cluster, to be certain.
When the ownership of Lotus changed hands, the money stopped flowing to Judd. Judd wasn't getting paid, so they quit developing & manufacturing the IndyCar motor. When Judd got paid, work resumed, but they were already WAAAY behind the curve.

It doesn't help when Lotus promised teams material goods like chassis and such as part of their lease contracts for the Lotus lumps. Dragon, specifically, was promised two chassis, which they received one from Lotus. That's why Dragon had only one car for testing at St.Pete.

When Lotus came out and said "everyone who paid for a motor got a motor", Jay Penske got riled up because he was promised a chassis as part of their contract and never received it.
Hence the $4.6M lawsuit.

Furthermore, Lotus admitted to teams that they had no plan for the mid-season engine refresh to improve performance. So they are last on the grid because the motor is garbage and they're doing nothing about it.
I suspect the reason boils down to money. Again, with Judd doing the development work, they would be the ones to squeeze more power out of the motor. Lotus has lost all but one team and ousted their CEO because of alleged embezzlement. I don't see Lotus having any money to pay for more development work.

My media source insists that Lotus plans to be around for the rest of the season, as well as next year. Their logic is that Lotus is pulling from F1, and a portion of the F1 money would go to improvement of the Lotus IndyCar motor.
Honestly, this has been such a craptastical PR nightmare for Lotus, I would think they'd be better off putting their tail between their legs and sneaking out the back door quietly.
Perhaps the Lotus IndyCar experience is emulating the road car version, very small, relatively underpowered engines in the cooking models, with a chassis trying to make up the deficit....

I somehow dont think DRB-Hicom will keep the dream alive for too much longer... indeed the De Silvestro camp might want to be sidling up to Honda or Chevrolet in the very near future
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Jun 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3086184)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Perhaps the Lotus IndyCar experience is emulating the road car version, very small, relatively underpowered engines in the cooking models, with a chassis trying to make up the deficit....

I somehow dont think DRB-Hicom will keep the dream alive for too much longer... indeed the De Silvestro camp might want to be sidling up to Honda or Chevrolet in the very near future
They ought to be sidling up now.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 14:10 (Ref:3086284)   #43
HaydenFan
Racer

HaydenFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They ought to be sidling up now.
I wonder is HVM is being co-funded though. Like the Dragon Racing team, did Lotus help buy the team cars and provide a good part of their funding for the year? Only reason I could see them now switching prior to Indy.

They can't switch now either. After the teams that left Lotus left, they changed the rules on the process of changing engine makers.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3086298)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenFan View Post
I wonder is HVM is being co-funded though. Like the Dragon Racing team, did Lotus help buy the team cars and provide a good part of their funding for the year? Only reason I could see them now switching prior to Indy.

They can't switch now either. After the teams that left Lotus left, they changed the rules on the process of changing engine makers.
I tried to go to their website to find out more but it doesn't exist.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3086309)   #45
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
I tried to go to their website to find out more but it doesn't exist.
HVM Racing's?

http://www.hvmracing.com/
Old 6 Jun 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3086313)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I tried that earlier and got a completely different page; cheers.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3086357)   #47
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
I tried that earlier and got a completely different page; cheers.
The site wikipedia lists for HVM Racing has an hyphen between "HVM" and "Racing".
Old 7 Jun 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3086633)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The site wikipedia lists for HVM Racing has an hyphen between "HVM" and "Racing".
I used the link from the IndyCar website, however I still couldn't find what I was after, regarding the Lotus connection.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 04:28 (Ref:3086656)   #49
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
I used the link from the IndyCar website, however I still couldn't find what I was after, regarding the Lotus connection.
The IndyCar site is about as useful as well, uh... insert IndyCar related joke here _________________.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3086798)   #50
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know how much Lotus has helped HVM financially or materially. I would expect that there is some involvement there.

Keith Wiggins has some very strong ties to Lotus. Because of those ties, it's unlikely to see HVM drop Lotus mid-season.