I like it even better clockwise.

bio
Old 2 Sep 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3298115)   #302
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surprisingly enough I like it better clockwise as well.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3298225)   #303
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Surprisingly enough I like it better clockwise as well.
Ha, I beat you at last :P

bio
Old 3 Sep 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3298344)   #304
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised by both of your comments. I can see your point it would make a good clockwise track but only if it was flat. The added elevation makes me think some of the corners wouldn't work as well as they would anti-clockwise. T1-2 downhill chicane would be awkward if clockwise due to the slight curve at the exit of T2 negating any chance of an overtake. The downhill esses T7,8,9 and the quad-apex T10 would be interesting reversed but I don't think we would see many chances of overtaking at T6 as the run up to the corner is shorter. T12 would be dodgy on the opening lap as there is only one line through there. I do think that the track with a few modifications to T11 and 12 would work well clockwise if the elevation was also 'reversed'. (what's downhill is now uphill etc.)
Old 5 Sep 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3299638)   #305
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having this circuit run in clockwise would also cause a runoff problem at the final chicane because if somebody got into trouble at the kink before the chicane and spun off, the vehicle would most likely hit other participants ahead, going at a slow pace through the perpendicular portion of the chicane. That would be really dangerous. So for it to work in clockwise, that kink would have to be changed.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3300116)   #306
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Having this circuit run in clockwise would also cause a runoff problem at the final chicane because if somebody got into trouble at the kink before the chicane and spun off, the vehicle would most likely hit other participants ahead, going at a slow pace through the perpendicular portion of the chicane. That would be really dangerous. So for it to work in clockwise, that kink would have to be changed.
I don't see how that couldn't be arranged for. It's not like the whole thing can't be touched, is it?

bio
Old 7 Nov 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3328555)   #307
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Lake Jarun Street Circuit, Zagreb, Croatia

A 3.15mi semi-permanent circuit based between Lake Jarun and the River Sava in Zagreb, Croatia. It mostly uses public roads that have been widened to 13m and features a pit straight that is 1.27mi (2055m) long. It is clockwise with no elevation.
Attached Thumbnails
Zagreb.jpg  
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:21 (Ref:3329511)   #308
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW what an organic track!!! Love it!
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3330058)   #309
bio
Veteran

Hungary
The right half of the "upper" section seems especially enjoyable here.

bio
Old 12 Nov 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3330562)   #310
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
superb
Old 16 Nov 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3332215)   #311
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Trinidad Motorsports Park

Trinidad Motorsports Park is a Grade 1T circuit based near Port Of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago. It is designed with a number of different layout featuring a 3.34mi Grand Prix layout, a 2.47mi International circuit (taking the 2nd shortcut), a 2.25mi National circuit (taking the 1st shortcut) and a 1.34mi Club circuit (taking both shortcuts) with all layouts anti-clockwise. It also features a 402m drag strip.
Attached Thumbnails
trinidad1.jpg   trinidad2.jpg  
Old 16 Nov 2013, 19:55 (Ref:3332266)   #312
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your drag strip looks short. Usually a 1/4 mile or 400m strip has about 700m or 800m of run out after the timing line. Yours would appear to have about 600m before your gravel trap... I've been called on this before when including a Drag strip.

Moving the Start to the left with the timing line just before the final corner would work, and in terms of the design it wouldn't look that out of place by putting the drag pits to the North filling some of the space up to the to the big left hander.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 23:16 (Ref:3332349)   #313
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Amazing!! OF all places, Port of Spain in TT!!!

Have traveled there 7 times in the last 3 months!!
Old 3 Dec 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3339857)   #314
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Charlotte Motorsports Park

A Grade 1 circuit built within walking distance of Charlotte Motor Speedway in North Carolina, USA. It has a 3.24mi Grand Prix circuit with a 2.23mi Short circuit. Both layouts are anti-clockwise. This addition allows Charlotte Motorsports Park and Charlotte Motor Speedway to host any racing category in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
charlotte nc1.jpg   charlotte nc2.jpg  
Old 4 Dec 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3339967)   #315
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Awesome man! Nice combination of curves there, very flowing, for some reason it looks very american to me, you have used the shape of the site to your absolute advantage, I love it!
Old 5 Dec 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3340437)   #316
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I stand by this statement - Your tracks are the best!

Selby
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3391129)   #317
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Strathclyde International Circuit

A Grade 1 track built near Glasgow Airport in Renfrewshire, Scotland. It has a 4.00mi Grand Prix circuit with a optional 0.10mi chicane. It also has a 1.70mi Short circuit. The circuit surrounds part of the Black Cart Water and is built near Glasgow Airport so that it has excellent transport links, nearby hotels and (hopefully) avoids any noise disputes. The track also features unique architecture for the pit lane and main grandstand.
Attached Thumbnails
Strathclyde1.jpg   Strathclyde2.jpg   Strathclyde3.jpg  

Strathclyde4.jpg   Strathclyde5.jpg  
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:51 (Ref:3391310)   #318
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Great use of space, sadly it's possibly just too close to the airport to allow the all important helicopter camera to fly around the circuit.
I like that the GP loop extends across the river and back again, whilst the short circuit remains to the North.

What are the lengths of the two straights that make up your s/f?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3391476)   #319
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
You make a good point about TV helicopter but if there are any concerns the it could be replaced in places by those high moving cameras on wires that were used at the British Gp for the past few years. I think they were used through the Brooklands/Luffield section. It does raise the question if that a TV helicopter can't be used then could a medical helicopter be used at the track? The only track I can think of that we can compare to is Donington Park which is near East Midlands Airport but is at the end of the runway and is not as near, however I have not heard of any problems. But we can only compare so far and I don't know of any tracks that are parallel at a commercial airport.

The dimensions you asked for (and many more) are in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
strath sf.jpg  
Old 12 Apr 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3391534)   #320
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The medical helicopter is relatively easy to accommodate in that it requests a slot, ATC would the create that by not bringing an aircraft out of hold, or have an aircraft take a holding turn for aircraft that are already in the air. Combine that with slowing the ground movements or holding the aircraft at the end of the runway.

That type of things happens regularly at major airports.

It's having the TV chopper buzzing around controlled airspace, for 2 hours or more. It couldn't go near T1 orT2 as that is within 1/4 of a mile of the runway glide slope where the aircraft is likely to be at the same height as the TV chopper.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3397075)   #321
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Strathclyde track is pretty amazing, especially when it comes to the corner shapes. Those westbound Esses are brilliant, and the long final corner is, too.

However, I sense some runoff issues with the eastbound Esses (the way back): the location of the 2nd grandstand on the left seems way too close to the track if you don't use the chicane, and the kink in the main grandstand opposed to the pits is rather dangerous for spectators as well. Why not just push the 2nd grandstand on the left side back a bit and leave the main grandstand without a kink so there is runoff space to the kink on the front stretch?

I hope you like my suggestions.
Old 22 May 2014, 11:13 (Ref:3408954)   #322
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Thruxton upgrade

[Back story to this] After concerns about the safety and facilities at the track after the last BTCC meeting, the circuit owners decide to invest and overhaul the circuit to attract international racing and to provide national series with a track on par with Silverstone and Brands Hatch.

A new infield loop with pit lane has been added with the corners created in the style of the old circuit to keep the speed and character or the original circuit. The original track itself has not been altered however all run-offs have been modified in some way. The original pit lane has also been upgraded as well as the grandstands opposite. Spectator banks have been added around the majority of the track and on the infield between the new pit lane and Brooklands.

The track has 4 layout: The Full 3.60mi circuit, The original 2.35mi circuit, the new South 2.66mi circuit and the Mini 1.20mi circuit. All circuits clockwise except Mini layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Thruxton1.jpg   Thruxton2.jpg   Thruxton3.jpg  

Thruxton4.jpg   Thruxton5.jpg   Thruxton.jpg  

Old 22 May 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3409070)   #323
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I do like what you have done, but one of the tricks that Thruxton manages to pull off, is that it's still an active General Aviation airfield as well. It uses a section of runway and has a grass strip as well.

Your new infeld while being a nice addition to the racing element of Thruxton would sadly end it's flying days.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3416311)   #324
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would not be possible either due to noise complaints and the argument of who owns what to do with the circuit boundaries.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3435126)   #325
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Pyrenees International Circuit

A Grade 1 circuit to attract international racing back to Pau in France to replace the historic street circuit.
4.65mi (1st Chicane +0.03mi) (2nd Chicane +0.05mi) 35m Elevation Clockwise
Attached Thumbnails
Pau1.jpg   Pau2.jpg   Pau3.jpg  

Pau4.jpg