Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Mar 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3036012)   #276
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
(and as usual, the facebook status update is full of numpties whining and moaning about being denied their free day out)
These "numpties" actually have a valid point. For a lot of people the Renault World Series is the only time they get to experience high powered single seaters and to see a real F1 car.

RWS provided a rare thing, a cheap family day out and a good way to experience racing for the first time.

No wonder motorsport events are poorly attended when the cogniscenti are aloof.

Sorry, Bella, but it is a real bugbear of mine. Spectators get a raw deal anyway and the casual spectator gets even worse.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3036033)   #277
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm sorry but i have to disagree with you.

why is it renault's obligation to provide people with free motorsport every year? we're fortunate in the uk that they've stuck with us for so long, despite the unruly spectators (who admittedly, often don't know any better and aren't looked after appropriately by the circuit), the high expense of holding an event here and the huge new markets elsewhere.

funnily enough the manufacturers aren't full of cash, or willing management wanting to back motorsport. renault are the only ones out there truly supporting the sport at the moment on a long term basis.

it's only in the uk where we have this entitlement culture. i don't have a problem with the fact they're losing a family day out that many couldn't afford otherwise, i understand that completely. but i DO have a problem with the way people are expressing it. it's not a right, or a public service. it's a corporate event.

i'm sorry but if you saw it from the organisers perspective you'd see negative behaviours and feedback that says that people simply aren't interacting with the event on the level they need to sustain the wsr in the uk. again, it's a marketing strategy and motorsport business, not a public service.

your point reflects the lack of *other* motorsport events priced competitively and afforable for families and spectators. if people had a choice they'd vote with their feet. they don't have that choice. so why and how is that renault's problem and how and why is shouting at them going to help them want to bring *their* event back to the uk for 2013?

surely somebody needs to point out that the wsr event not happening this year highlights the lack of engagement with potential spectators and customers?

Last edited by bella; 6 Mar 2012 at 15:36.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3036042)   #278
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of going of topic: I agree that there is no reason why Renault should stage this event. However they have done so for a number of years.

A lot of people greatly looked forward to this event, much as 6 hours of Silverstone is a highlight of mine.

Accordingly many are disappointed when something they have got used to is taken away from them.

I agree that many of the opinions expressed on the facebook page are obnoxious, bordering on the downright rude.

I applaud Renault for staging a corporate event that provides great entertainment for a family at no charge.

Motorsport in general could learn that Good Product + Good Advertising - discounted prices = more bums on seats.

Our sport is insular and self serving. This, more than environmental concerns, will be the death of it.

RWS bucked the trend and will be missed.

I think Silverstone served the series and the public well. No where else could ever stage an event of such magnitude. I suspect no other RWS venue acheived the numbers of the British round.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3036055)   #279
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ahhh, thank you for not taking that rant the wrong way, it wasn't directed at you specifically

fwiw, the hungarian round is as well attended as the uk round (though not in 2011, it was cold and horrible even for us travelling brits), there's no entitlement culture despite the fact the people are having a much harder time than we are at the moment, and the locals are an absolute joy. they're well-behaved, enthusiastic, and not at all... well, they're thankful. for everything. for the event, for the interest in their country, the lot. i think it's in that context i find the "we want our free stuff, why won't you give it to us" attitude jarring and unpleasant.

the fact that people complain in the manner they do, using the words they do and with the attitude they do suggests they're not interested in seeing motorsport.

but for everyone who is, i totally agree with you. it's a pity cause it's a great event, a great day out and a great way to get the kids hooked on cars.

it's really the ideal time for someone to cobble together a business plan and stage a replacement event isn't it? but who could do that - have the time, money and resources to make it work? i think the sad answer is "nobody".
Old 6 Mar 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3036147)   #280
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
Nice to end on a mutual agreement! Many thanks
Old 9 Mar 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3037508)   #281
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
another feather in the hat of fr3.5 - rossi confirmed as caterham test driver (and finally, properly, at caterham/arden). how many f1 test drivers are we up to now?

http://tentenths.com/news/showentry.php?e=2845
Old 9 Mar 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3037546)   #282
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
another feather in the hat of fr3.5 - rossi confirmed as caterham test driver (and finally, properly, at caterham/arden). how many f1 test drivers are we up to now?

http://tentenths.com/news/showentry.php?e=2845
Wasn't this announced last month, or am I imagining it?
Old 9 Mar 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3037581)   #283
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
it was accidentally revealed on the caterham f1 website, so close enough. a definite contender for the worst kept secret of the year
Old 10 Mar 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3037893)   #284
remdev
Rookie

France
FRANCE
remdev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giovanni Venturini with BVM Target.

Twitter WSR : "Last announcement Giovanni Venturini will drive for BVM Target alongside N.Martsenko. Official and complete entry list on monday !"
Old 10 Mar 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3038041)   #285
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Venturini wasn't bad in Auto GP, but shame Zampieri is out.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3038391)   #286
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Zampieri a huge loss? He didn't fulfil his potential last year IMO. Venturini wasn't bad at all.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3038720)   #287
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Is Zampieri a huge loss? He didn't fulfil his potential last year IMO. Venturini wasn't bad at all.
He looked better in 2010, and wasn't bad in the early part of last season, after that not much to report was there?
Old 12 Mar 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3038735)   #288
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
he was fairly quick on his day, which iirc was once, at motorland, in 2010. seemed to be very stressed about driving most of the time, but that's just from body language.

venturini will certainly do no worse, and he did produce the goods when the opportunity was there in autogp. it's certainly not a wasted seat!
Old 12 Mar 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3038840)   #289
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
meanwhile, we have a full entry list from wsr:

N°Team (Home country)Drivers (Nation)Rookie
1CARLIN (GBR)Kevin MAGNUSSEN (DEN)R
2CARLIN (GBR)Will STEVENS (GBR)R
3FORTEC MOTORSPORTS (GBR)Carlos HUERTAS (COL)R
4FORTEC MOTORSPORTS (GBR)Robin FRIJNS (NED)R
5ISR (CZE)Sam BIRD (GBR) 
6ISR (CZE)Jake ROSENZWEIG (USA) 
7TECH 1 RACING (FRA)Kevin KORJUS (EST) 
8TECH 1 RACING (FRA)Jules BIANCHI (FRA) 
9P1 MOTORSPORT (GBR)Walter GRUBMULLER (AUT) 
10P1 MOTORSPORT (GBR)Daniil MOVE (RUS) 
11LOTUS (CZE)Richie STANAWAY (NZL)R
12LOTUS (CZE)Marco SORENSEN (DEN)R
15BVM TARGET (ITA)Giovanni VENTURINI (ITA)R
16BVM TARGET (ITA)Nicolay MARTSENKO (RUS)R
17TEAM RFR (RUS)Mikhail ALESHIN (RUS) 
18TEAM RFR (RUS)Anton NEBYLITSKIY (RUS) 
19PONS RACING (ESP)Zoel AMBERG (SUI)R
20PONS RACING (ESP)Yann CUNHA (BRA)R
21INTERNATIONAL DRACO RACING (ITA)Nico MULLER (SUI)R
22INTERNATIONAL DRACO RACING (ITA)Andrè NEGRAO (BRA) 
23COMTEC RACING (GBR)Vittorio GHIRELLI (ITA)R
24COMTEC RACING (GBR)Nick YELLOLY (GBR) 
25ARDEN CATERHAM (GBR)Alexander ROSSI (USA) 
26ARDEN CATERHAM (GBR)Lewis WILLIAMSON (GBR) 
27DAMS (FRA)Lucas FORESTI (BRA)R
28DAMS (FRA)Arthur PIC (FRA) 

i wonder if any teams who signed drivers early on at the end of last year are regretting their decision?
Old 13 Mar 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3040238)   #290
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes that maybe the case with one or two....

Carlin won't be one of them though I suspect.

Wow though we can close this thread soon and start up individual race weekend threads. Fab!!
Old 13 Mar 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3040250)   #291
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
two months to go yet, steady with the old trigger finger chunty!

completely incidental times from the first session this morning courtesy of dams racing below:

https://twitter.com/#!/damsracing/st...39175182307329
Old 13 Mar 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3040322)   #292
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who that guy is that rates "Danny" Move will be chuffed I suspect.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3040323)   #293
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Also interesting that Bird and Bianchi aren't getting rookie tags.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3040332)   #294
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bianchi's done a couple of fr3.5 rounds in the past but i'm not sure about bird? there's been drivers in the past with gp2 races but who have still been rookies so maybe they've changed how they decide it.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3040345)   #295
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Going over the list, it appears that Brendon Hartley is missing. Did he go to GP2 or is he without a ride?
Old 13 Mar 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3040350)   #296
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
haven't heard of him being confirmed anywhere, and he hasn't tested gp2 or gp3 this winter. sportscars maybe? wouldn't be the first we've lost from the 2011 field to the noisy stuff that takes a long time...
Old 13 Mar 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3040369)   #297
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst we're on the subject of the noisy stuff that takes a long time, Mikhail Aleshin is going to be doing a dual program in 2012, racing in the FIA GT1 World Championship alongside his FR3.5 campaign. After all his well documented budget problems, perhaps that's the way forward for him in the future?
Old 13 Mar 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3040393)   #298
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
is it just me who feels a little uncomfortable with someone pleading budget problems one year, then doing 2 series at the same time the following year? i know it's the fickle nature of motorsport sponsorship, and that the moscow circuit is being completed this year so it's a good year and all that but...

good luck to him, does that include the spa 24 hours?
Old 13 Mar 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3040428)   #299
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
haven't heard of him being confirmed anywhere, and he hasn't tested gp2 or gp3 this winter. sportscars maybe? wouldn't be the first we've lost from the 2011 field to the noisy stuff that takes a long time...
Actually he's been testing prototypes. Found that out literally minutes after my post. Patience is a virtue.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3040430)   #300
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
is it just me who feels a little uncomfortable with someone pleading budget problems one year, then doing 2 series at the same time the following year? i know it's the fickle nature of motorsport sponsorship, and that the moscow circuit is being completed this year so it's a good year and all that but...

good luck to him, does that include the spa 24 hours?
Well, to be fair his budget problems were in GP2, and a GP2 with new cars. Of course, FR 3.5 has that this year.