Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 2 Feb 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1831920)   #1
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
$104.00 for a Sunday pass for A1GP at the Creek

I can not believe it... I can not believe that they expect the punters who want to go watch one A1GP sprint race in the morning and main race in the afternoon and watch a whole heap of CRAP in between, pay $104.00, they have to be smoking drugs! And, that doesnt include a grandstand ticket.. thats just to park your arse on the grass for god-sake

To the people pushing the buttons behind the scenes at A1GP, give yourselves a massive uppercut you fools! I along with half a dozen others who planned on going out there with our young blokes out there on Sunday have just decided to have a BBQ at home and not bother even watching it if it was on tv.

A1GP = Another motorsport class with a short life-span

Go the Datto!!!
Old 2 Feb 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1831934)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well Peddler, whilst I can accept that $104 sounds rather steep, one has to question both your tone of this post, and also who you are directing this at.
Unless I'm very much mistaken, it's not A1GP who set the ticket prices. It'll be the circuit, so criticising A1GP as having a "short life-span" is not productive.

In addition, it's only your opinion that the support races for this weekend are "crap". You believe that you wouldn't enjoy the races, and have therefore made the decision to stay at home. That is your prerogative.
There's probably a decent number of people who think they will enjoy the support races, combined with the atmosphere of being at the circuit (I'm sure no one can debate the point that there is that something 'extra' being trackside).
As I'm sure you're aware, economics is all about supply and demand. Eastern Creek obviously think that there is enough demand for people to pay that amount without affected the crowd size. Factually, it's only about £5 more expensive that on-the-gate prices at Brands Hatch (£35), and I think everyone expecting that to generate a very healthy crowd size. If Eastern Creek have thought this out wrong and it is too much, we will see on the day!
Old 2 Feb 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1831943)   #3
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Asp my friend, it sounds like you haven’t watched a race at the creek before. It has to be one of the worst tracks in the country to watch racing from. Also... looking at the support classes, I am not alone in my opinion of the level of entertainment that will be on offer.

I must say I was really looking forward to going out and having a look at these cars in action but thinking about the value for money aspect and then what we will infact be able to see (which is limited) I am afraid I stand by my thoughts.

In speaking to the ARDC office (Australian Racing Drivers Club, who own and run Eastern Creek Raceway) today... I was advised that the actual admission fee was stipulated by the A1GP governing body and nothing to do with them. Now with this understanding, I do believe that A1GP will have a short life in its current form.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 2 Feb 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1832120)   #4
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A1GP = Another motorsport class with a short life-span
Peddler , yes a very silly move by A1GP to charge those sort of prices for a track that does not have a very good reputation. EC usually charges in the $30-40 range. I guess they are trying to recoup some of the considerable costs of running there.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 23:32 (Ref:1832255)   #5
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Well i am afraid it isn't going to help to much if they have the same very poor turn out of spectators as they did last year. It really is absolutley stupid if they think poeple are going to pay that much.

I just got fo the phone to someone who is at the track as i am writing this and and his words "other than the teams themselves and the teams corporate patrons, there is stuff all poeple here"

I must say i am not suprised at all...

Go the Datto!!!
Old 2 Feb 2007, 23:47 (Ref:1832266)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Australian F1 GP sunday pass is $99

I know which one i would pick.

I wouldnt pay more then $40 to go and see it.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 01:48 (Ref:1832309)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
is that $104 per person ???

If so that is just crazy for general admission and they will not and never will pull any kind of crowd at those prices.

very sad to see really
Old 3 Feb 2007, 02:03 (Ref:1832319)   #8
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Yes, thats $104 per person... absolutley crazy

Go the Datto!!!
Old 3 Feb 2007, 02:07 (Ref:1832322)   #9
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
its not A1 that set the prices its the local track. If you don't want to pay that much then don't - you have a couple of other options

1 - wait till sunday and get free tickets when they hand out the spares like they seem to have done at every race except Holland and GB.

2 - come over to silverstone and think yourselfs lucky that you dont pay £100 + and see 1 to 2 hundred yards if your lucky for F1

Well done to Palmer for hosting the A1 race at Brands - its like playing scalextric's

its really bad for A1 setting the prices so high and they should really step in so they save face but im sure they would if they could
Old 3 Feb 2007, 02:10 (Ref:1832323)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
OK so my next question is this.

where does that $104 go ?

is it simply the circuit promoters takings ?

does the A1 GP organizing committee get a cut.

Do the teams see any of these funds ?

does the cash go to Mal Loye's dental costs ?

Just curious but still outraged at the price
Old 3 Feb 2007, 02:27 (Ref:1832328)   #11
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
I phoned ARDC yesterday and i was told that the prices were set by A1GP organisers and not ARDC/Eastern Creek at all.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 3 Feb 2007, 02:53 (Ref:1832334)   #12
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
just got fo the phone to someone who is at the track as i am writing this and and his words "other than the teams themselves and the teams corporate patrons, there is stuff all poeple here"
Probably get more running at the EC Kart track.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1832387)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
where does that $104 go ?

is it simply the circuit promoters takings ?

does the A1 GP organizing committee get a cut.
General rule is that the circuit (/promoters) receive the takings, and they will have already paid A1GP the rights to hold the event.
After all, it is the circuit that have to pay many of the costs in hosting the event (including notably paying all the staff required at the event).
However, if it's A1GP that are setting the prices, then this suggests that perhaps they are taking (at least) a share of the ticket monies, otherwise what right do they have to do so?
Old 3 Feb 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1832408)   #14
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, if you are an NRMA member you can get a two for one deal by showing your membership card at the ticket office. I wouldn't be going either if I hadn't noticed this deal.
On the racing side the battle between the psuedo NZ and German cars should be worth the money alone. I watched last year's race from near turn two and wound up with about 7 cars parked by the fence right in front of me including the poor little jap guy who remodelled his car at high speed out of turn one.
Cheers
David
Old 3 Feb 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1832422)   #15
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
I didnt know that (CAMS) "Confederation of Australian Motorsport" approved officials got paid... hehehe. This is he magic thing about these styles of events is that the promotors are infact not doing a lot at all. Everything is outsourced and infact paid for by the teams and sponsors.

The actual level of staffing at the creek for operational purposes who are being actually paid could be counted on one hand. The rest are all there for the love of it.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 3 Feb 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1832462)   #16
BenM
Rookie

BenM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
Just want to know where you got $104 from? I saw prices on Ticketek last week, I dont remember the actual prices but they were much less than that. Fridays Daily Telegraph had the following adult prices.

General Admin-
Sat- $49
Sun- $69
Weekend- $79

Grandstand-
Sat- $74
Sun- $104
Weekend- $124

Trackside- (On the roof of the pit bilding with pit pass and a BBQ lunch)
Sat- $120
Sun- $180
Weekend- $250

These prices seem similar to those that I saw on Ticketek. I tried to find a link somewhere with the prices but no good.

I went today (it was great) and will be going tomorrow, but I was lucky enough to win free tickets from last weeks Sunday paper (I was going anyway) so I carn't confirm the price, but my feeling is that the prices above are correct. This means it will only be $69 to sit on the grass. Yes its more than the normal $30 but this is an international event which you don't get to see very often.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1832508)   #17
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
www.a1gp.com

check out the "tickets" section

Go the Datto!!!
Old 4 Feb 2007, 06:18 (Ref:1833001)   #18
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turned up on my bike with my 13 year old son on the back, got to the security guard in the gate queue and asked if there was any special parking places for motorbikes and was directed to make a U turn and park along the fence. The best part of this was I was unwittingly now inside the grounds for FREE....YEEEHAAA. Didn't matter though I spent it on merchandise anyway.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1833014)   #19
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looked like a bumper crowd at EC on the webcast.... !!

i think they get more then for the V8's
Old 4 Feb 2007, 07:36 (Ref:1833033)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crowd seemed better than some were expecting (going by some of the conversations i overheard in the pits)

They were handing out free weekend passes at the Martin Place A1 Team Australia exhibit a few weeks back, thats how i got mine. Still had to pay $20 for pit access though.

What about the pre-race show, or lack of it. You could almost hear a pin drop when Ricki-Lee came out to sing.......
Old 4 Feb 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1833144)   #21
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there were quite a lot of "boo"s when Iemma came on...
Old 4 Feb 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1833195)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler
www.a1gp.com

check out the "tickets" section
Peddler, you have been told a dud. Tickets were most definately not a $104 each for general admission. They have been advertised in many places for much less.

A good crowd aswell on the Sunday, very healthy. Not out of this world but considering how Team Aus is going the would be happy.

The racing was good aswell, that "crap" you mentioned was entertaining. Very sad that you missed a great day.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 02:10 (Ref:1833626)   #23
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
The racing was good aswell, that "crap" you mentioned was entertaining.
Agreed, the racing was top notch in all the supports as well as the A1 itself. Great dices in the GTs, heaps of action and passing in F3 (it looks a much stronger category this year!), and the Historics looked and sounded good as always. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it; $79 for Sat and Sun gets four thumbs up here!
Old 6 Feb 2007, 04:22 (Ref:1834434)   #24
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
well thats very different from what i have been told. On top of the creek being a poor location for spectators I have been told by a few that the racing was infact rather boring... I know that was the opinion of another though. I sorta wish i did head out just for a stickybeak but at $104 per person i wasnt going to even try

All prices that we were looking at all detailed $104 for general admission for the Sunday

Go the Datto!!!
Old 6 Feb 2007, 08:14 (Ref:1834509)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have been told by a few that the racing was infact rather boring...
Everyones entitled to an opinion but I find that rather a ludricous statement. Look at the discussion in the race thread. Also Dave Wall coming from last to 2nd in the GT race would hardly be called boring.

Quote:
but at $104 per person i wasnt going to even try

All prices that we were looking at all detailed $104 for general admission for the Sunday
Where were you looking at ? I have the official A1 brochure, ticketek and motorsport press advertising and it all does not have $104 for general admission.