Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Jun 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1942367)   #1
MonkeyDeath
Rookie

England
Southampton, hampshire
MonkeyDeath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going the the Italian GP

i cant beleive it, i've got my tickets in my hands for the Italian GP, i couldnt decide where ot sit, and i still cant, i got Alta Prima Velocita 6C, it was there or the second chicaine. but i chose there. ive seen where the grand stand is compared to the track and it seems good. there is a big screen opposite as well.

ive never been to a F1 race before, i refuse to pay for such an over priced ticket IMO when i can go to a WTCC, BTCC etc race for a fraction of the cost and get pit entry as well on race day (ok its the area behind the pits but thats good enough for me).

we are spending (me and my G/F) 12 days in italy in total, flying in on the 3rd september to Milan and staying in Milan for 4 days, then moving to Lesmo for 3 days for the race, we have 3 day passes so i will be at the track all the time i can get, watching all the racing practice etc i can see. it says that i can get pit entry on the Friday as i have grandstand tickets, but we will see. and finishing off in Venice for another 4 days

any advice from people that have been to Monza before, or even Italy as i have never been to either. one thnig i have ot rememberto pack is ear plugs

im soo excited
Old 20 Jun 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1942406)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
italy - learn some basic italian. not all italians speak english, and as with anywhere in europe if you learn some of the language and at least try and make an effort you will receive a far better reception than just saying "do you speak english?".

monza - research car parks. if you haven't already been allocated a car park (not entirely sure how it works over there any more), see how much information you can find out about as many car parks as possible. don't go ape if someone's sat in your seat on the quieter days. take a camera, but don't just focus on the circuit activity. potter around the circuit as much as possible, especially on friday. in fact, don't bother going to your seat until qualifying. it's a really great place. (and make sure the missus packs some comfortable walking shoes )

venice is lovely, but it's a bit of a japanese tourist trap. use the boat busses, they're very reasonably priced and really good for getting around. you'll never look at a bus stop and a bus the same again once you've been to venice and they've roped the bus to the bus stop so you can get on

milan is ok, but if you haven't already got a car, try and get one to go to the lakes especially, and up into the alps too. it's a lovely area. the coast around genova, which is about 90 mins (ish) south is really stunning too.

err sorry, i rambled a bit there. great choice for your first f1 race, enjoy it
Old 20 Jun 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1942421)   #3
MonkeyDeath
Rookie

England
Southampton, hampshire
Cheers Bella, you have just Echoed whati have bee nsaying since i booked in January

i have been learning italin since then as well, plus a collegue of mine is italian so that has been a help.

i am not hiring a car for the race, the place we are staying in Lesmo is about 15-25 mins walk away from the Lesmo entrance to the track so wont need a car for that.

i have been saying the my missus about getting some walking shoes as the friday is the "exploration" day, we will be walking round the whole track, something i have done at every race track ive been to for the first time. that will be probalby the only day we will venture far from our seats, also cheking out where all the facilities are. qualliy and race day will be at our seats and near to them as i dont want ot miss any track action from those days.

take a camera sorry, my main hobby (after motor Racing) is photography so i will be taking a camera, hopefully im allowed ot buy a new one and some lens's for this holiday.

Venice - Im looking forward to this and will be taking in as much as possible i can pack in to the 4 days we are there.

millan - we have not booked a car at all, i was hoping not to as a brake from driving (i do alot normally) as ive heard the public trasnport is amazing in Italy compared ot the UK. but i have been thinking of getting a car and driving round the Alps for a day but that will be a last minute thing, milan is really for the missus as a comprimise from spending 3 days at monza so those 4 dyas will be what she wants ot do, mainly shopping knowing her.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 15:51 (Ref:1942623)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
apologies for teaching granny to suck eggs about the photographs lots of people just focus on pratting about with a p&s trying to take pictures of f1 cars on track... the surroundings are just fabulous, and the spectators are nearly all photo-worthy themselves (er, from a ferrari tifosi point of view - i'm informed the ladies are lovely too).

regarding circuit facilities, from memory the bogs are rubbish if you're a lady, so be prepared for some grade a whining from that point of view. it makes croft look well-catered for

woman time now, i've shopped in both milan and venice and to be honest i preferred venice the lakes are really really something else, if she likes stuff like that it's worth suggesting it to her, but i hear what you're saying about not wanting to drive much while you're out there.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1942731)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
See if you can get a look at the old banking. I'm not sure if you can still get access to it, but it's an amazing thing to see and most of it looks as if it's still there. I climbed it once - How did they drive that?

Just enjoy the atmosphere, the Italians and more importantly the FOOD!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1942789)   #6
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eugh yes, quite agree Bella. The toilet and in fact all facilities at Monza are shocking. Worst I've seen. I camped there, which made it wore I suppose but just be prepared.

The atmosphere is second to none though, especially for a Ferrari fan (as I am). You can get to the old banking and it's well worth the walk.

Did you say that you have grandstand seats? From what I remember (it was 2001) there is a free grandstand on the outside of the circuit, opposite the pit lane entrance. If you can bags a place in it (we slept in it overnight) and fight off the enthusiatic locals then you'll have a great spot from which to watch the race.

If you spend a lot of time in Milan make sure you take some industrial strength insect repellent. Honeslty, I went for a long weekend (not GP weekend) and was nearly eaten alive by mozzies and that was in the city centre (in the region of the Duomo and shopping areas). I've never seen that detailed in any guide books, but beware; it really ruined my weekend.

With regard to the rest of the area, you really must make time to see the Lakes. Como isn't far away and it's so beautiful.

Have a fab time.

Rosie
Old 20 Jun 2007, 19:34 (Ref:1942816)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah, i camped there too, but in a motorhome thing, so we did have a blue lagoon. marginally less gross than a portaloo, and considerably cleaner!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1942836)   #8
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snap, I'm off to the Italian Grand Prix...and it's my first GP too!

As for Venice, well it's a fantastic city. I lived there for a year while on at university
Venice, well yes it is touristy (but September is ALOT better than the summer months) and also it's very easy to get away from the touristy parts of the city to some really beautiful, quieter more authentic (if there is such a thing as an authentic place, but hey that's getting into the realms of my dissertation ).
Really good advice by Bella to use the vaporetto (water buses). They're really good value (you can buy 24hr, 48hr, 72hr tickets which are a) brilliant value and b) soooo convinient as you don't have to keep worrying about buying and validating a ticket). Using these buses you can get all across the lagoon and the city...there's nothing better than just riding on the vaporetti, particularly if you can get one of the much coveted outdoor seats at front or back (I used to just ride on them when bored, take a book and sit in the sun, or just enjoy the view and take pictures). Oh and take plenty of memory cards, Venice really is something else

If you've got any questions or want any advice about Venice, just ask
Old 20 Jun 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1942935)   #9
MonkeyDeath
Rookie

England
Southampton, hampshire
cheers for the advice,

i forgot about the old banking, deffo have a look if i can, and i do have grandstand tickets for the whole weekend, i was hoping the atmosphere was going to be good, ive read alot about the tifosi and seen what they are like, that is one of the reasons for going ot Monza and nowhere else.

i'll get some incet repellent as well then

groupofone where are you sitting in monza, you just going for the race or are you too going ot see some sights?

would be cool to meet up with some people
Old 21 Jun 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1943713)   #10
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well actually I don't think I'll be sitting anywhere as I'm going as part of a journalism competition to cover the GP2 races. As such I'm just going to be over for the race weekend, which is a shame as I love Italy and love spending time in all the fantastic towns and cities.

I do hope to get to see the old banking at some point though, so you never know I might bump into you!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 16:50 (Ref:1948265)   #11
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely make time to go to the old banking, it's fantastic.
Insect repellant is also a good idea - I was there last weekend and I got bitten millions of times - not pleasant!

Sounds like a great trip, I only saw Monza/hotel/pizza/beer this weekend, I'd like to see more of Milan, and also Venice which I went to in 1995.