Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2004, 17:22 (Ref:964425)   #1
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What kind of qualifying?

Maybe this year the FIA will introduce a new qualifying system. What system would you like?

I would like to see a 45 minutes qualifying on saterday, without a maximum number of laps. After this qualifying there will be a superpole for the top eight.
Old 8 May 2004, 17:30 (Ref:964429)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, something like the DTM superpole would be better than what we have.

But what I'd prefer is an hour session, where all the cars can go on to the track at any point, and set a lap time. Give them a limit maybe of 12 laps.

The fastest guy gets pole, the slowest guy starts last.

The cars are fixed up and refuelled for the race.
Old 8 May 2004, 17:36 (Ref:964433)   #3
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
Yep, something like the DTM superpole would be better than what we have.

But what I'd prefer is an hour session, where all the cars can go on to the track at any point, and set a lap time. Give them a limit maybe of 12 laps.

The fastest guy gets pole, the slowest guy starts last.

The cars are fixed up and refuelled for the race.
I agree that the old qualifying system was better the current way of qualifying. The parc fermé-regulations are really ridiculous.

Last edited by Pingguest; 8 May 2004 at 17:40.
Old 8 May 2004, 17:36 (Ref:964435)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2002 regs please!
Old 8 May 2004, 17:48 (Ref:964442)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
2002 regs please!
There will be only one problem if the FIA would reintroduce the 2002 system this year. This year's cars are adapted to the parc fermé regulations.

if the parc fermé regulations would be abolished this year, I hope the teams can adapt their cars.
Old 8 May 2004, 17:51 (Ref:964444)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shouldn't be a problem for those guys!
Old 8 May 2004, 17:54 (Ref:964448)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Shouldn't be a problem for those guys!
I wouldn't be sure about that. The 2003 changes were introduced very late. Some teams had big problems with it. That also the reason why Ferrari almost lost the world championship. The F2004 is well adapted the parc fermé regulations, but the F2003-GA wasn't.
Old 8 May 2004, 17:59 (Ref:964452)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't be sure about that. The 2003 changes were introduced very late. Some teams had big problems with it. That also the reason why Ferrari almost lost the world championship. The F2004 is well adapted the parc fermé regulations, but the F2003-GA wasn't.
Don't have a problem with that either

In seriousness - having a car that won't fall apart overnight and needs fixing in the morning won't be much to worry about if they reverted.

It's the smaller teams that have suffered more with this than Ferrari, Williams and the like.
Old 8 May 2004, 18:00 (Ref:964454)   #9
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i've an idea

One hour quali on Sat.

Split into 3x20 min sessions or 4x15min sessions.

Each driver has to out at least once in each session.

If they do not go out in one session they would be penalised in some way.

The running order is decided by drawing lots.

The punters get continuous action,TV gets the same.
Sponsors are also happy because they get (hopefully)at least as much exposure as they do now ie.at least 12 laps to get their name seen as opposed to the 4 now.
Drivers can either go out and nail a fast lap straight off,or if they need to go out and build up to the flying lap they can also do that.

Well that's it in theory..........
Old 8 May 2004, 18:04 (Ref:964457)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Simpler rule (to combat the 40 minute silences maybe)...

Each team must have a car on the track at some point during each 20 minutes of the session - or they'll all start from the back.

Think of it as 'three sessions', where your team must set a complete lap to be eligible for your team to qualify.

Could be done by driver instead I suppose.
Old 8 May 2004, 18:07 (Ref:964459)   #11
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
Don't have a problem with that either

In seriousness - having a car that won't fall apart overnight and needs fixing in the morning won't be much to worry about if they reverted.

It's the smaller teams that have suffered more with this than Ferrari, Williams and the like.
OK, the fact that the cars must be in the parc fermé at night isn't a big problem. But the parc fermé regulations say that almost nothing may be changed or repaired after qualifying. Only when it is really necessary the teams may repair the car under supervision by the FIA. I think that should be changed.
Old 8 May 2004, 18:13 (Ref:964462)   #12
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry,just had a thought ...... the running order would NOT have to be decided by drawing lots.

The drivers could go out at any time of their choosing in the 20 or 15 min period.
Old 8 May 2004, 18:17 (Ref:964467)   #13
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
There you go, now it's sorted - we've worked it out.

3 20 minute sessions, cars go out in each, set a time.

Most drivers will set stable laps in the first two 20 minuters anyway when the tracks empty, saving the last two runs for a gorgeous, pole switching, last 20 minutes of furious track action that used to make great qualifying sessions.

Ron, Jean, Patrick, Flavio, Eddie, Peter, Dave, Paul, & Toyota & Ford dudes, if you're reading this - stop arguing and get it done before Monaco
Old 9 May 2004, 04:01 (Ref:964745)   #14
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that is a very good idea...45 mins. of free runs and supper pole for the top 8...the time spent would be much shorter...it's good for me who works a lot..
Old 9 May 2004, 07:14 (Ref:964785)   #15
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 hour on Saturday, no super pole etc, but cars must complete a minimum of 8 laps within the hour to keep their fastest one. That should ensure track action for the whole hour and encourage the endurance factor for conponents which the FIA and teams are keen on. You could of course choose to cruise round for 6 laps and then nail it for a fast one, but this would get in other people's way, so not everybody could do this in the last 20 mins, plus it would kill tyres so would be counter productive. As track conditions (wind,temp etc.) change you just go out and have another go.
Scrap the ridiculous qualifying with fuel rule, encourage fast low fuel runs, then let them fuel up in full view of the pit lane before parc-ferme (nobody would know how much fuel the finished qualifying with), 30mins after the end of qualifying. This would allow them to put fuel in for the race and a warm-up, which they could then use or not. Each car could then decide to run 2,3 or 10 laps on Sunday morning depending on changes in track conditions, and allow them to set their definitive race strategy in light of what happened on Saturday, probably creating better racing. The cars come straight out of and into parc-ferme (this bit would be difficult I know), and are then locked away and the teams given 20mins on the grid where they can change tyres and wing settings only.

We get a hectic 1 hour qualifying, the cars running flat out and the interest of strategy for the hour, the punters get a warm up that has direct relevance to the race, and I don't see how it would increase cost(although I bet somebody else can!).