Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Oct 2013, 06:09 (Ref:3312124)   #3926
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
You have a funny understanding of facts since it is basically the same production based motor that ran last year.
Actually, it's not.

You should do some research.

Andy Flinn
Old 3 Oct 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3312137)   #3927
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
Seventy percent of the Ford Ecoboost DP engine is production-based. But don't let facts get in the way.

Andy Flinn
Right, So then if That Eco bust engine is and runs anything like the production engine it'll end up scattering it's connecting rods, leaving an oil streak across the tri oval,and dropping turbos all while using more fuel than a v8.

I Just don't under stand why ford is still trying to promote a PICK UP TRUCK engine in a race car after it already has much negative feedback and lawsuits against it, and it's not even selling in sedans or in those crossover things.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 07:51 (Ref:3312149)   #3928
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
New video from Ford showing the engine on the dyno and also showing the rear bodywork.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jExV...ature=youtu.be
No diffuser, no double rear wing. So basically just a slight rework on the shape of the car.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3312282)   #3929
Bicknell55
Rookie

United States
Lancaster, PA
Bicknell55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
No diffuser, no double rear wing. So basically just a slight rework on the shape of the car.
I don't believe the diffuser and other 2014 changes are released yet, thus why you don't see them on the car.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3312324)   #3930
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Right, So then if That Eco bust engine is and runs anything like the production engine it'll end up scattering it's connecting rods, leaving an oil streak across the tri oval,and dropping turbos all while using more fuel than a v8.

I Just don't under stand why ford is still trying to promote a PICK UP TRUCK engine in a race car after it already has much negative feedback and lawsuits against it, and it's not even selling in sedans or in those crossover things.

It's not a truck-only engine. The V6 Ecoboost started its life as the Taurus SHO engine. It's based on a V6 Cyclone engine that was used in Fusion and Taurus since 2007 or so. Besides, Ford is really trying to promote the Ecoboost name in general, and ecoboost is now almost in everything in Ford and Lincoln models.

Within just a few hours of hard racing, the engine components can see the wear and tear that's worse than after 100K miles of driving. That's why motorsport is a great testing lab for new stuff. Likewise, even though I believe that a tube-frame Mazda6 sedan does not belong is sports car racing, I am kind of willing to tolerate it if it helps to make production cars better.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3312333)   #3931
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
What specific model from the Audi or Toyota lines do the WEC Audi, Toyota or Rebellion LMP1's resemble?

No ALMS LMP1 or LMP2 resembles anything in a production showroom.

Andy Flinn
Any VAG gasoline engine with FSI. Tail lights from R10 and Q7. LED Headlights across the Audi line.

Why would you even ask about Rebellion? It isn't made by a mass producer auto manufacturer. Toyota non production race engine? Yes. Lola Chassis? Yes.

The whole point of this kind of racing is the tech transfer, and that doesn't happen overnight. If you expect Toyota to show up with something that legitimately competes for overall wins and have that exact drivetrain in this model year's Prius you have a slight misunderstanding of what's going on.

If engineers working in LMP didn't feed information back to the rest of the company, you would not see manufacturer P1s. Not sure I can say the same for past years of DP, LMPC, etc.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3312351)   #3932
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DPs are dinosaurs and P1s are cutting-edge. Some people hate DPs for that. some love them despite that. Some just accept things as they are and on their own terms.

How much longer do we need to fight pointlessly over this stuff?

In a discussion among open-minded people, one would hope each side would present information and/or points of view unknown to the others, and that all involved parties would evaluate the new information and opinions in an a unbiased fashion and would be totally willing to follow the facts and thoughts to whatever outcoe, whether or not it was the position they started with.

Here it is pretty much you wear the "I hate DPs" colors or the "DPs are great" uniform, line up on opposite sides of the room, and chant your slogans mindlessly.

DPs and P2s,. both essentially spec classes (very little difference between chassis/bodies, very little modification allowed (even worse, the Rolex power/torque curves will be enforced, apparently)) will constitute the top class of TUSCC for at lease the next three years. Could we possibly accept that fact? Could we possibly stop repeating the same posts that we have all seen for the past several years?

All we have here is "Almost everybody else said it so now it is my turn to say it" versus "I have said this over and over."

Of course, everyone is free to post whatever. If this repetitive gainsaying gets you guys off, so be it. I just want to point out that there are options, like ignoring repetitive posts and even introducing new topics.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3312352)   #3933
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With the tunnels and double rear wings added to the DP's will the cars begin to resemble this?

Old 3 Oct 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3312359)   #3934
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Of course, everyone is free to post whatever. If this repetitive gainsaying gets you guys off, so be it. I just want to point out that there are options, like ignoring repetitive posts and even introducing new topics.

As a moderator, I'm not sure that I should sanction such sensible heresy........ ;
Old 3 Oct 2013, 15:49 (Ref:3312384)   #3935
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am pretty excited to see what the new DPs can do. They won't look much different but they should corner a lot faster. What the added horsepower will do depends on where they add it---will the new cars have more top end or more grunt out of the corners? How will they perform in traffic against serious P2 competition?

Sure, things could turn out terrible, requiring a rebalancing after every race, which would make the season almost pointless except as a test ... but it could also be a lot of fun.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3312411)   #3936
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I am pretty excited to see what the new DPs can do. They won't look much different but they should corner a lot faster. What the added horsepower will do depends on where they add it---will the new cars have more top end or more grunt out of the corners? How will they perform in traffic against serious P2 competition?

Sure, things could turn out terrible, requiring a rebalancing after every race, which would make the season almost pointless except as a test ... but it could also be a lot of fun.
I dont forsee a large LMP2 full time grid in 2014. Extreme Speed will be there but I don't they are as good as any of the LMP2 WEC cars. 8Start might have one but that is it. L5 is questionable to run LMP2 in TUSCC right?
Old 3 Oct 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3312420)   #3937
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
The LMPC class works like this. It is a meaningless class for the spectators but it is popular amongst the competitors so it won't go away. An analogy to this is Obamacare. The everyday citizen in the USA hates it but the politicians like it so they are fighting to keep against what the people want.
Its popular with rich Venezuelans, Scott Tucker, and Oreca.

PC had its place in post-economic crash ALMS, but in a seemingly healthy TUSCC, it needs to go away.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3312437)   #3938
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
With the tunnels and double rear wings added to the DP's will the cars begin to resemble this?

I don't think that is how the rear wing will look. The current DP wing is one piece, while the current lmp wing is 2, which allows for more adjustments and changes downforce and drag. You might be able to tell from the image here: http://imgur.com/iJafHz0
The wing proposed for DP's will look like the LMP solution, not that GTP Porsche.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3312440)   #3939
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Its popular with rich Venezuelans, Scott Tucker, and Oreca.
Hmm, the facts would seem to dispute the implication of that statement.

http://www.alms.com/standings/team

L.P.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3312454)   #3940
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't think that is how the rear wing will look. The current DP wing is one piece, while the current lmp wing is 2, which allows for more adjustments and changes downforce and drag. You might be able to tell from the image here: http://imgur.com/iJafHz0
The wing proposed for DP's will look like the LMP solution, not that GTP Porsche.
They actually may have to go to a wing like the double plane depending on how much will be allowed with body and undertray modifications, in order to get the full effect of the diffuser. The dual plane wing might be lower/more effective cost then heavy profile changes to the bodywork.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3312475)   #3941
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, the facts would seem to dispute the implication of that statement.

http://www.alms.com/standings/team

L.P.
We will see what the PC entry looks like next year. How about that.

Anyway...

So essentially the DP's will now have LMP style wings with higher endfences rather than the GTP style wings?

That is a shame, that Ford DP they just rolled out would look really good with that GTP wing on it!
Old 4 Oct 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3312589)   #3942
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Dagys's article about Dragonspeed at Daytona, the last line says something to the effect that Scot Elkins told Elton Julian that they wouldn't be messing with LMPC. Elkins just said on Twitter that he "doesn't make promises like that." They mess with LMPC too much and they're in the way of the GTE cars. Here we go...
Old 4 Oct 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3312594)   #3943
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMPC is a spec pro am class. Even though its prototype its ok for them to be as fast or slower than the GTLM cars I think. Back in the early 1990's, GTS was faster or equal to Camel Lights, nobody complained there. Elkins looks like is hinting that indeed LMPC could be slowed possibly. I think if IMSA decreased the restrictor by 10 mm that would put the Oreca FLM"s back on par to how LMPC is in the ELMS anyway I think?
Old 4 Oct 2013, 02:59 (Ref:3312596)   #3944
jasonjessica09
Veteran

Duncan Ende says on his twitter "better slow down the GTLM cars then". Ha Ha! what rubbish. You are an LMPC driver sir, worry about beating the other LMPC cars and don't hit the side of the GT car while they pass you next year!
Old 4 Oct 2013, 03:34 (Ref:3312600)   #3945
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Duncan Ende says on his twitter "better slow down the GTLM cars then". Ha Ha! what rubbish. You are an LMPC driver sir, worry about beating the other LMPC cars and don't hit the side of the GT car while they pass you next year!
This may be the first post I agree with you on! While I would actually grab a spot and watch a LMPC/IMSA Lites race, having LMPC be slower than GTLM would actually make sense. Make them so cheap that they can go further on fuel and tires so they finish ahead, but slower that GTLM can get past them easily.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 03:38 (Ref:3312602)   #3946
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
This may be the first post I agree with you on! While I would actually grab a spot and watch a LMPC/IMSA Lites race, having LMPC be slower than GTLM would actually make sense. Make them so cheap that they can go further on fuel and tires so they finish ahead, but slower that GTLM can get past them easily.
I don't see why they have to finish a head of GTLM.. I think the pro classes should be first and have the pro am behind them. P,GTLM,LMPC,GTD.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3312604)   #3947
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why should there be a spec class in the main race anyways? No one comes to a sports car race to watch spec cars. Porsche cup races have established themselves as a popular support race for the main events. Perhaps one of those Porsche cup races can be combined with LMPC cars to create a more exciting support race?
Old 4 Oct 2013, 04:14 (Ref:3312606)   #3948
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lmpc doesn't bother me, but slowing them is rediculous. We saw several times lmpc splitting the gt leaders, at cota a PC put Edwards in the bmw at a disadvantage to the corvette with 30minutes left. I'm all for lmpcs but when the are slowed and get in the way of a gt battle/championship that's just not right.im willing to give tuscc a chance, but if gtlm the only non spec class is messed with to maintain the spec class' speed then there's not much hope.i also feel that the enduros should cater to the us based teams who have supported grand am and alms in the past.even if they run a one off entry or two cars with only one being full season.european teams should be the ones who need to qualify no matter who they are. if a race on U.S. Soil is important to them then commit to all of them. And also I'm not convinced we need to keep the Le Mans connection.i love Le Mans and all but which team wants/is going to Le Mans besides corvette/srt/L5? Its not neccissary, gtlm should stay for manufactures but the prototype class should keep the dp/p2 way of being, maybe lose some of the spec ness but keep the manufacture works teams away.i don't want to see manufactures bring down tuscc like it did to the alms.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 04:20 (Ref:3312608)   #3949
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
One thing too I agree that lmpc and gtc should be gone away with or lowered into a support race.they were created as grid fillers, and with a healthy gird size they will no longer be needed.i have no problem if tuscc eventually morphs into dp/p2 and gt-lm only essentially grand am v2 , as long as the old ga nonsense is dropped.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 05:29 (Ref:3312612)   #3950
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
LMPC is a spec pro am class. Even though its prototype its ok for them to be as fast or slower than the GTLM cars I think. Back in the early 1990's, GTS was faster or equal to Camel Lights, nobody complained there. Elkins looks like is hinting that indeed LMPC could be slowed possibly. I think if IMSA decreased the restrictor by 10 mm that would put the Oreca FLM"s back on par to how LMPC is in the ELMS anyway I think?
PC will not be slowed to, or behind, the GTLM pace!

L.P.