Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Mar 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1247973)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Who's favourite for Brit F3 then?

It's not long before start of season so on previous and current testing form, who's looking on it for this year?

If the Lola's any good my money's on Dirani.

Why? because he's quick, a previous race winner and will have learnt an awful lot from such a competitive season and i reckon he's better than Di Grassi and might be quicker than Nelsinho an all!

Next please.....
Old 9 Mar 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1248008)   #2
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have access to any times, but Dirani did look quick at Silverstone on Monday, but Mike Conway looked quicker.

I am reliably informed that Conway, Walker, Kimball, Bakkerud, Lewis and Clarke have been consistently the pace-setters in testing.

No disrespect to James (who had really picked up the pace in that dog of a Renault-powered Hitech at the end of last season), but if he can be noticeably quick in one, then the Fortec is probably going to be the car to beat, and given Conway's record, well, who can tell?

It's a bummer that MST haven't been publishing timings, but then, based on last year's pre-season testing Fairuz Fauzy was the man to watch, and I still haven't publicly eaten my hat over that one.

However, instinctively, and with no justification whatsoever, I'm going to put my imaginary money on Marko Asmer.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1248020)   #3
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Conway - Great talent and and very quick.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1248051)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mike conway, i'm disappointed to say. i really really want someone else to win (i'll work out who after the first race of the year), but it's going to be him.

gutted.

Old 9 Mar 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1248089)   #5
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Conway, but lets hope that the rest of the grid take the fight to MC and make him wok for it.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1248103)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thats exactly my opinion. a driver SHOULDN'T be able to win in his first year unless he's an absolute star, and from what i've seen, conway isn't. you can give all the noise about attitude and such, but that only goes so far.

i'd like to see dirani sort his head out a bit and be able to drive like he did at croft every race.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1248129)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If Dirani did that, the rest wouldn't see him for dust. It'll be interesting to see how P1 and Lola gel.

There's a view that Conway will crack if put under pressure. As Mathias suggests, Marko Asmer could be a good bet.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1248182)   #8
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dirani for sure. all comes down to how good the lola is but carroll turned heads with a brand new lola dome and watts turned ten times more heads a year later ina lola dome. sure this isnt a lola dome but i think its the same kinda story. if turns out to be an absolute pig truck then conway will have it. british f3 had alot of talanet last year and this year it has seemed to have subsided a bit. i cant see this year being as competative as last year.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1248187)   #9
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll have a punt on Daniele Clar....sorry Dirani.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 03:14 (Ref:1248283)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i think it'll be as competitive but at an entirely different level. and i don't think we should assume any level of competitiveness from dirani, he's too erratic to say for sure whether he'll be a contender or not.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 07:27 (Ref:1248332)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMo there's not a clear favourite.
Many big names left, and I think it's gonna be a very interesting season.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1248415)   #12
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why everyone seems to think the quality of drivers isn't as good this year as last -

I mean you had Piquet and you had Carroll before the year started who you knew where exceptional drivers capable of going onto higher things. James Rossiter came as a surprise, he only came into the Piquet-Carroll category as he progressed through the year.

The likes of Dirani who did impress on occasion are back again and drivers stepping up such as Bridgman and Conway have both won very competitive championship's at lower levels and are both very rapid racers.

I agree there might not be an out and out concrete favourite as there was last year but with Dirani, Conway, Asmer and co around we've got a bloody good grid of drivers who could go on to much better things.

As for my prediction, its got to be Mike Conway - sorry to be boring! The guy has come of age the last season or so and I feel some people don't like to own up to the fact he's a talent just because he's not a "looker"who walks around trying to pull any female in the paddock unlike some other drivers!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1248477)   #13
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gareth Rees, That will surelly return! or Conway
Old 10 Mar 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1248542)   #14
Mathias
Veteran

England
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Gaz. Let's not forget that Gaz was really despondent about the quality of entrants last year, and it turned out to be an all right season - not a classic, but definitely worth watching. Just because Piquet's gone doesn't mean it's going to be disappointing (and probably quite the opposite).

Looking over my list of confirmed champ class drivers, there's a lot of good names in there.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1248549)   #15
MïkeConway
Rookie

England
MïkeConway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
...because he's not a "looker"...
You calling me ugly?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1248588)   #16
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MïkeConway
You calling me ugly?
lol, just saying you havn't got the beach boy look that these paddock groupies can't get enough of! Get yourself on those sunbeds kid!

Last edited by Gaz; 10 Mar 2005 at 14:51.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1248596)   #17
GSportUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk
GSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
lol, just saying you havn't got the beach boy look that these paddock groupies can't keep away from! Get yourself on those sunbeds kid!

Classic!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1248624)   #18
Freddie
Racer

Freddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mikey, when you're as good looking as me, you can start complaining......looks like someone set your face on fire and put it out with a shovel.

My vote for BF3 is for Mike Conway.....bags of talent.........BUTT UGLY!

Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1248654)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MïkeConway
You calling me ugly?

Thats one of the nicer comments you'll get from some of us
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1248706)   #20
superMINI
Racer

superMINI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awwww. I think he's cute. In a sort of Mickey from Eastenders kinda way.

I'd like to see Dirani do it.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1250957)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Guys, seems that we're either rooting for Mike Conway, or, Danilo Dirani but hardly anyone else?!!

I admit, i think Asmer's pretty useful too, i'd forgottten about him.

It might be just as well that Danilo's in the unproven Lola, as i think that in a Dallara he's probably clear off into the distance
Old 13 Mar 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1251045)   #22
Freddie
Racer

Freddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike has been quickest according to most people's watches in pre-season testing and with his season in Renault last year with numerous poles and wins, and zero damage/accidents....you'd be mad to bet against him.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1251544)   #23
Mathias
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Guys, seems that we're either rooting for Mike Conway, or, Danilo Dirani but hardly anyone else?!!
I thought the question was who's favourite to win, not who's our favourite!

Thing is, there are an awful lot of unknowns this year - I mean will RRR perform in their first season? How will Hitech do with Mugen engines and half the team doing GP2? Will the Lola perform? How will Carlin do with 2 rookies? Etc etc.

Plus there are still some seats to fill!

So I think no-one wants to stick their neck out here yet.

Last edited by Mathias; 14 Mar 2005 at 12:39.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1251585)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
So I think no-one wants to stick their neck out here yet.
Hmm. Lots of pro-Conway necks stuck out already! There is supposed to timing at the Media Day test on Wednesday morning so that might give some clues.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1251884)   #25
hmmmm
Rookie

hmmmm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all the timing is worthless cause i can 100% guarentee that peolpe are running under weight or alike. I think after seeing him in testing and i no the no one will agree but bridgeman will be very very quick. Plus if i was a betting man i think the championship winner will be out of hi tech's garage. Danilo is missing out on far to much testing weather that is him Roly or the cars fault i don't no. Conway will be quick but i don't think he can win.