Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1475442)   #1
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic saloon information?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend a good site for information on racing Historic saloons? I know this is going to be a silly question, But coming from Sports car background its all new to me, I would like to read up on the differences between Group 1 cars and group 2 cars etc etc, Just get a general background to it all , And also is there a wallys guide to gaining Fia papers out there?

Many thanks for your help

Daj
Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1475453)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well as afar as Group 1 and 2 and FIA papers are concerned you need to specify the years. This is because the FIA may have the homologation papers but for current competiton requirements you may not need them.

The Group 1 as we probably know it isn't actually that. Its Group 1 and a half! This is because the manufacturers wanted to "spice up" the racing and so the organisers relaxed requirements. For a general view of regs for current championships I'd advise you to look at the CTCRC website www.csccgb.co.uk

Group 2 is easier because this was a modified championship and the FIA does have regs to cover it as it was run in the 70's and 80's.

You can link through to various websites relating to group one and two from my links page http://www.mallettracing.co.uk/link.htm

What are you planning to race?
Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1475455)   #3
daj
Racer

Hello Peter,

Many thanks for that, Its going to be 1972 Bmw 2002tii .

Daj
Old 2 Dec 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1475647)   #4
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could have a very competitive car there for CTCRC Pre-74 Class C, Post Historics DAJ. Check the regs at CTCRC Post Historic Regs .

We have a couple of 2002s that compete at the moment.

Cheers

Chris
Old 2 Dec 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1475663)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On a similar vein I see that the Gerry Marshall Dolly Sprint is back on the market for more or less the same money as it went at auction - is there a problem with it - on teh face of it with its history it seem s a cheap car....
Old 2 Dec 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1475673)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, it does seem relatively cheap for what appears to be a car in good condition and with provenance. As you say, makes you wonder whether there is a problem; could be just a change of plans, I guess!
Old 2 Dec 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1475709)   #7
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is this for sale Simon?
Old 2 Dec 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1475717)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport classified - GBP 11 500 with a rebuilt engine - bearing in mind it was about 8 at auction before commission and its provenance has now bee confirmed (at the time it had a slight question mark over it which has now been resolved) -- I would have thought someone with some spare cash should buy that and have some fun and almost guarantee a future profit. Sadly I am out of the market until I have moved my Lotus Cortina otherwise I would have been sorely tempted - and no I have no financial gain in it selling, in fact I dont even know who owns it!
Old 2 Dec 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1475762)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'll give you 11500 for the LC !
Old 2 Dec 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1475780)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

hahahaha I bet you would!
Old 3 Dec 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1476164)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
including spares obviously

back on topic, I think the 2002's are competitive cars, and good fun by all accounts, I know bolide drives his to and from meetings, so theyre reliable as well !
Old 3 Dec 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1476354)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

i assumed you only meant the spares!
Old 3 Dec 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1476364)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah get it out in the Pre 73's Daj, I have throughly enjoyed my first encounters with them this year.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1476486)   #14
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly

back on topic, I think the 2002's are competitive cars, and good fun by all accounts, I know bolide drives his to and from meetings, so theyre reliable as well !
oh yes there fantastic cars, and will give much more modern machinary a run for the money, but then i'm bias'd having spent years competing in one.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1483671)   #15
daj
Racer

Back again !!

Many thanks for the comments gents, Its a most warm welcome!!

I am still seaching the internet for information etc , Looking at times etc for different series I am not so sure if the top hat series is that well governed to group 1 regs? So maybe the post-Historics is the way to go!!

Graham ,Having peddled a 2002tii before I would be really intrested in any help you could give or any information on running them? Do you by any chance have a copy of the fia papers for the car? I finally managed to source some and all I need to do now is learn German !! ha.ha

Many thanks

Daj
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1483890)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the most important thing in the papers will be numbers

even I can read German Numbers
Old 14 Dec 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1484022)   #17
daj
Racer

Ha.ha , Very funny !!! Its a shame its a 45 page document with lots of information that I cannot understand !!!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1484834)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
Back again !!

I am still seaching the internet for information etc , Looking at times etc for different series I am not so sure if the top hat series is that well governed to group 1 regs? So maybe the post-Historics is the way to go!!
Same regs. The cars that run in Top Hat Seventies are built to the CTCRC regs. There isn't any other equivalent championsip. However the CTCRC does expand them somewhat.

You are right it isn't policed but then there are very few who come out to play who wouldn't pass muster at CTCRC. Having said that I do know of a Group 1 car that doesn't comply but he rarely races with Top hat. As I've stopped taking that CTCRC Group 1 seriously I didn't question it.