Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2001, 10:37 (Ref:73542)   #1
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Here's an interesting bit of information. For my trip to the monaco GP, the flights are £120, and the grandstand tickets are £90. The friend I'm going with emailed me to tell me that a ticket for the british GP, at silverstone (about an hour from where he lives in oxford) including grandstand seats, is £195.
And I get 10 days in the south of france.

What are the organisers of the british GP playing at?
Old 22 Mar 2001, 15:40 (Ref:73597)   #2
mk1
Rookie

mk1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah

for the same price of a oneday race ticket at silverstone.i could go to nevers by train and spend the whole weekend there watching the french gp.?????????????????????. are they composating for last year or have they allways been this expensive.?
Old 22 Mar 2001, 16:33 (Ref:73610)   #3
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What you're paying for at Silverstone is the BRDC members clubhouse, and of course to line the pockets of the BRDC members, but lets face it, Silverstone what a really cr@p place to put a grand prix on these days the access to the circuit is $hit, but with Donington it is located right by the Motorway and an international airport, and plus it's a supurb circuit, come on Bernie and Max take the grand prix to Donington you know you want to.

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 22 Mar 2001 at 16:35.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 21:45 (Ref:73708)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys better hope that there is a British GP. This foot and mouth disease thing is a serious threat. if it is not under control by the Gp, it is unlikely there will be one.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:04 (Ref:73720)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the truth is that Silverstone don't really want those nasty motor racing fans, bringing their own food and drink, driving cars over the nicely ploughed fields and causing congestion all over the place. Taking free photo's that they could have sold later.

Far better go for those very nice corporate people who don't really mind if there is a race or not as they have far to much corporate Champagne and corporate food provided by Silverstone PLC. They even bring helicopters so no need for car parks.

Simon
Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:09 (Ref:73725)   #6
aadpack
Rookie

aadpack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think thats the truth.

The Britsh Grand Prix is the most expencive from Europe.
We visit most Grand Prix in Europe , but this one is to expencive.

Also the British Pound is so bloody high.
Doesn`t help either.

But the Silverstone circuit is one of my favorites, to watch.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 23:29 (Ref:73769)   #7
512_BB
Rookie

512_BB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That news makes me feel bad about callling myself a fan of F1 and not attending my home Grand Prix in the U.S. because I feel that I can't afford the plane ticket, hotel, event ticket, food, etc. On the other hand I have become a real fan of amateur and lower ranks of professional racing. Maybe there is a way to sneak into Silverstone?
Old 23 Mar 2001, 00:55 (Ref:73790)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I managed to sneak in once - better not say when, but it was long before the Bernie n'Max regime. When we could all unite in our mutual mistrust of Jean-Marie Balestre.

Jay, while I would agree that there is an issue with the foot & mouth crisis, you'd be surprised just how laid-back the organisers are right now. Last week, we went to a motor race at Silverstone, and drove past an infected farm on the very road to the circuit. We were still let into the track, with no more than the customary disinfectant mat at the gate to show for the disease.

With the worst prognosis being that the outbreak will peak in late May and be just about over by August, that leaves a lot of time for the British GP to be put in the clear.

Not that I'll be going, of course. £195 will buy nearly a season's tickets to all of the club race meetings I could care to witness. And that includes Thoroughbred GP cars at Donington or Brands. The F1 show simply doesn't add up to good value for money.

The last British GP meeting I went to was 1989 (I think - wet race, Prost won in a Ferrari.) And having stood in the wet all day, been pushed down a muddy embankment during a crowd surge, not seen any more than the tops of the airboxes, I knew I wouldn't be coming back.

I spend a third of my weekends annually on the race circuits of Great Britain, but it will take a lot more than the current show to tempt me back to the GP weekend.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 01:13 (Ref:73794)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all the reasons Tim has mentioned - I will not be attending any British Grand Prix for the forseeable future.

When I can attend a test day, experience the noise and spectacle, with NO crowds and at absolutely NO cost, why bother? On your typical test day, you see a lot more of the cars, and there's about the same amount of overtaking as your average GP. (sorry! I couldn't help it! )

By the way - Is there still an issue with the 2000 BGP ticket refunds?
I hope not - I'd be a bit stressed by now if it was me!

Last edited by Sparky; 23 Mar 2001 at 01:14.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 02:41 (Ref:73806)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's good to hear Tim. I have to rely on news reports over here.

I can understand why anyone anywhere in the world would not attend their home GP. It is just too damn expensive. I have a really good deal on tickets to the Canadian GP. An ok Grandstand seat for $75 CA! (about 34 pounds) However, most grandstand seats range from $175-400+, which is just too much for the average person to afford.

That's another reason why Cart is so popular. The tickets are about half the price of F1.