Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Nov 2013, 07:51 (Ref:3334675)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Loading of vehicles on flatbeds

Incorrect using of: http://youtu.be/y0YY4hHe2A8

Clip from this year's Macau GP.

Make sure the vehicle is fully on the bed and that there is no tension in the strops.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3334704)   #2
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some recovery marshals seem to think it's acceptable to "3/4 Lift" cars like this.

Not a good idea with all the weight of the engine hanging over the end of the tray.

I know of one car where the driver was able to get out of the car after the crash but after it was 3/4 lifted the doors were jammed shut all of a sudden

They might save 20 seconds but can do thousands of dollars of unseen damage to the chassis of the vehicle.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3334728)   #3
SteveR
Rookie

United Kingdom
SteveR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both cars have the same problem - neither is strapped down to the flatbed! No recovery operator should be moving cars that are not properly secured, no matter how much grief is coming over the radio from race control.

The second car (PVDA's) doesnt just worry me because it is hanging off the flatbed. What really scares me is that they appear to be relying on a loaded winch cable attached to the towing eye to hold the car in place. Hands up all those who have seen a towing eye fail... Yes, that would be most of us.

Frankly, I wouldn't like to have to explain to the Coroner why either of these cars finished up on top of someone, or why they were not properly secured.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3334738)   #4
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the recovery driver in Macau is Mr Head's little boy Richard....
Old 21 Nov 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3334773)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Make sure the vehicle is fully on the bed and that there is no tension in the strops.
I think there's a little more wrong than that. Not stropped, front not even touching the bed, lifting the crane to release the vehicle when your colleague is standing in the line of fire...

Keystone cops would have been proud of this.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3334904)   #6
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The drivers must be the best behaved I have seen in a lomg time no safety car boards and accompaning yellows, or white flags for that matter.

I notice they only put out the double yellows as the field went past!
Old 21 Nov 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3334914)   #7
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holy c""p. Have these guys had any training, do you think?

And the marshals just have tabards and T shirts!
Old 21 Nov 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3334916)   #8
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Holy c""p. Have these guys had any training, do you think?

And the marshals just have tabards and T shirts!
It's very surprising given they have a major international event every year.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3334944)   #9
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now that the Macau GP and United States GP will not fall on the same weekend, maybe a good time to sign up and have a look-see for myself
Old 21 Nov 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3334969)   #10
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

katrina.kershaw.7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scary stuff, could've been some serious injury aswell as the damage to the car there! There's clearly no standard international procedure to secure it? If not there should be
Old 21 Nov 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3334974)   #11
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Some more of the Macau chaos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsucUeezpZw

But we know what toring car drivers are like.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3335151)   #12
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent stuff !!!

I wonder what the team thought of having their car spread over half the circuit after it had been collected by the breakdown.

I was impressed by the standing start speed of the truck !!

Shouldn't laugh, but .....
Old 22 Nov 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3335154)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

The man in the HiViz tabard and baseball cap, on the track, in the middle of the stationary cars, with the rest of the grid coming around a blind corner towards them. I don't know what he thought he was doing. Directing the traffic?

John
Old 22 Nov 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3335162)   #14
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
The man in the HiViz tabard and baseball cap, on the track, in the middle of the stationary cars, with the rest of the grid coming around a blind corner towards them. I don't know what he thought he was doing. Directing the traffic?

John
He was wearing a hisvis tabard, therefore he was perfectly safe .....
Old 22 Nov 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3335167)   #15
drewchef
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
drewchef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

What the.....! The 2nd incident had happened for at least a minute, were there no waved yellows preceding the corner? Frightening.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3335196)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewchef View Post
What the.....! The 2nd incident had happened for at least a minute, were there no waved yellows preceding the corner? Frightening.
There would have been waved yellows at the previous corner, but then there would have been waved yellows at every corner because the SC boards were out.

Which proves the point of what I've been saying about safety car flags for quite a while.

And what I've been saying about TC driving standards, for that matter.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3335324)   #17
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
There would have been waved yellows at the previous corner, but then there would have been waved yellows at every corner because the SC boards were out. Which proves the point of what I've been saying about safety car flags for quite a while. And what I've been saying about TC driving standards, for that matter.
No Woolley, it doesn't prove a point about SC Flags or TC.

It proves a point about all the stupid "blind" drivers in general

But don't care.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3335379)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
No Woolley, it doesn't prove a point about SC Flags or TC.

It proves a point about all the stupid "blind" drivers in general
Can't disagree with you there. Really, we need flags with really long handles so we can poke them in the eye.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3335405)   #19
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Looking from in car footage of the link below there was an upgrade to double yellow on the post prior to the Chilton incident under safety car. Look at the clip from 19mins+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6aVnGZyRFk
Old 23 Nov 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3335567)   #20
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can see the double waved before the corner
Looks like driver error to me!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3335627)   #21
mark25787
Rookie

Wales
Mold, North Wales
mark25787 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
You can see the double waved before the corner
Looks like driver error to me!
"Error" is the polite version!!! Ignorance and inconsideration could also be used.
IMHO, the race should have been red flagged much earlier as moving the car with the rear wheel broken off in a narrow circuit would have required a flatbed or crane on track and considerable time.
A bad mistake made by the first driver crashing into the slow moving car (white flags deployed for it?????), compounded by the following drivers not showing suitable precautions. Both the circuit and the drivers to blame.
And as for the "marshal" stood in the middle of the track with the cars ploughing towards him...words fail me!!!