Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2002, 03:39 (Ref:402365)   #1
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Murphy

not a Holden fan, but jeez, that's harsh ... five minutes ...

did anyone else hear him call someone a "f*cking c*nt"???
Old 13 Oct 2002, 03:44 (Ref:402367)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's got to be the roughest stop-go in the history of motor sport, let alone V8s. I've never heard of anything like it.

Can't vouch for that particular soundbite, but I did like his "Jeez, was that a tent?" during the safety car period.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 03:47 (Ref:402368)   #3
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A penalty was required, but there are better ways to do it than making the driver take 5. Why couldn't they just take 2 laps off his total, that would almost account for the 5 minutes on it's own.

As for the 'effing cee' references, I thought Murph should've spent the five minutes by running up to Race Control and telling everyone exactly what he thought of the situation...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 03:48 (Ref:402369)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an absolute joke, 5 minutes for that when you only get a drive through for spinning another car around.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 03:54 (Ref:402373)   #5
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly happened????
Old 13 Oct 2002, 04:14 (Ref:402380)   #6
Flaggie
Racer

Dont worry... found out. It's in the rule book that the officials can do that. Make you stand in your pit box for whatever time is appropriate. Spilt fuel in pitlane is bad news when there's things like hot brake pads flying around.

Fair cop, in my opinion. Could have sent the whole joint up in flames.

Last edited by Flaggie; 13 Oct 2002 at 04:18.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 04:39 (Ref:402386)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, considering the danger, a stiff penalty was in order. Although, I'm not sure it was handled appropriatly.

I think taking 2 laps off him would have been better.

Why was'nt Brock penalised?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 05:45 (Ref:402405)   #8
Flaggie
Racer

Brock was penalised, but He'd basically retired, anyway.

And in reality, 5 minutes is 2 laps....well 2 and change, anyway.

Not saying I agree 100% with the call that was made, just that I agree he should have been nailed.

Last edited by Flaggie; 13 Oct 2002 at 05:46.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 05:57 (Ref:402406)   #9
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Why was'nt Brock penalised?
That's what I was wondering. Nobody spills fuel on purpose, it's always an error/accident, so if you are going to give Murphy a 5 min penalty for spilling fuel, then the same should go for everyone.... and it seemed like quite a delay while Brock was still circulating without any penalty.

Stop/go yes, 1 minute or 2 maybe.... but 5 mins? Seems far too harsh.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 06:06 (Ref:402407)   #10
Flaggie
Racer

Dunno... The difference being possibly that Murphy could have pulled the whole shebang down and the resulting possible fire would not have been pretty. Brock's spill wasn't as catastrophic in possible consequence.

Ah well It's done now, not much you can do about it.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:26 (Ref:402423)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dislike Holden winning as much as any full time Ford supporter, but gee, that was way too harsh, what a pure disgrace. Why didnt they fine the team instead of ****ing up his race, his championship, his sponsors and everythign else.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:30 (Ref:402427)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Obviously Race control and the NRL judicary are one and the same,take the Kiwi out off the game,and let the others play on.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:32 (Ref:402429)   #13
Flaggie
Racer

Why fine the team, for a mistake made by the driver?

If the whole pits went up, you'd be real happy, wouldn't you? I think they made the right call, but maybe 2 or 3 minutes would have sufficed.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:38 (Ref:402434)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Nope Crazy call by the officials in my view , Ok it was a dangerous situation with the refueling problem butb5 minutes , thats just crazy < and I believev Murph was referrring to CAMS officials when he said what he said and fair enough in my view , thats just crazy for that problem , what are CAMS up too , complete nutters.

oh yes and my signature has change to the classic quote of all time
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:39 (Ref:402437)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
I meant fine Murphy, sorry.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:41 (Ref:402440)   #16
Flaggie
Racer

Ah well.... It's been done, It's not going to change.

I'm wondering how many of the critics have ever been an official....

That's my last word, See ya later.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:45 (Ref:402445)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Fair enough, good point, but IMO, Todd Kelly did nothing, the team did nothing, why ruin it for them. It was a mistake, no one was hurt, thankfully, I personally think a large fine would suffice.

Although, I am glad it saved a Holden 1-2-3-4-5-6
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:48 (Ref:402447)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah y4eah , go on rave about how hard it is to be an official , WHAT COMPLETE ****** !!!!!!!! ITS A JOKE IVE BEEN A FLAGGIE BEFORE AND ITS NOT THAT HARD AND A 5 MINUTE PENALTY IS A COMPLETE JOKE.

thats my say and if ya dont like it tpo F ing bad !!!!!!!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:49 (Ref:402451)   #19
Flaggie
Racer

Mate, most people are extremely gun shy when it comes to possible fuel fires. When the Sh*t hits the fan, a call has to be made. Whether it's harsh or not (and I agree it was harsh. 2.5 mins is ample) there is a provision in the regs to provide such a penalty. It's legal, in the regs, and while it can be argued that it's harsh, it cant be argued that it was legit to do it. We'll see what comes of it, but I seriously doubt much will change.

Last edited by Flaggie; 13 Oct 2002 at 07:52.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:54 (Ref:402457)   #20
Flaggie
Racer

Calm down Marcus... Yes being a flaggie's easy compared to being in race control....

Where do I say I didn't think it was harsh? It's a bit over the top, but a penalty of some description was warranted...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:58 (Ref:402465)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yeah fair enough Flaggie , I twas a bit hot under the collar when i typed that , somethinmg Yes I agree had to be done , but it was very harsh and I apologise for havinbg a go at officildom , but hey thats what half the sport is about these days and that sux big time !!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:02 (Ref:402470)   #22
Flaggie
Racer

Yeah but Marcus, you're damned if ya do, damned if ya dont with these sort of calls...

They dont penalise him and someone will scream, they do and people scream.... Hey I agree, it's harsh, but it is dangerous, when when you consider they dont even allow power drills in pit lane, it was always gonna get nailed.

It's like any incident, there's an argument either way. I think right call, over harsh but right call. You think otherwise, and that's cool too. This whole thread could do around in circles, so I'll drop the issue now, else it could turn nasty.

And for the sake of Albury/Wodonga, good work to Nathan Pretty.... Pity Brad wasn't there as well.

Last edited by Flaggie; 13 Oct 2002 at 08:04.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:10 (Ref:402480)   #23
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
too true , they had to do something , but surely a stop go penalty was enough ???

but hey if we were in control at Cams then there would be no problems right ??? LOL

doubt it very much.

oh well its done now and it doesnt effect me persoanlly so im not bothered by it , but if I was Murph Id be rathed ****ed which im sure he is.

but anyway it was a good race and i guess the best team won in the end and Murph will go on for ages about im sure
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:20 (Ref:402492)   #24
Flaggie
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
too true , they had to do something , but surely a stop go penalty was enough ???

but hey if we were in control at Cams then there would be no problems right ??? LOL

doubt it very much.

oh well its done now and it doesnt effect me persoanlly so im not bothered by it , but if I was Murph Id be rathed ****ed which im sure he is.

but anyway it was a good race and i guess the best team won in the end and Murph will go on for ages about im sure
I take your point, but then you have the hassle of what is the greater crime: turning a bloke around, or almost having the pit lane covered with Optimax? What I have seen done in another race series is to give a driver 3 drive throughs, to be done on successive laps. I quite like that idea.

Look, I dont blame Murph. I'd be ropeable as well. Hell you wouldn't be human if you weren't. But let's let the anger settle and revisit it in a couple of days, and then see what we all think, shall we?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:21 (Ref:402495)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that seems to have been forgotten/overlooked in this whole thing is the way penalties are currently being handed out.

MOtor Racing in this country has turned into a 'You are wrong, we are right - don;t even think about disucssing it' scenario.

Regardless of whether Murphy was in the right or wrong (and, from what I saw, he did what he normally does - so where does the blame really lay anyway?) he and the team have NO CHANCE whatsoever to argue the penalty - which in all western democratic countries is aloowable.

Or is it that certain key officials now think they are so close or actually are God that they can do and say whatever they like, hand out whatever penalties they like without giving the offender the chance to argue a case.

Dictatorial is probably the closest word I can think of without saying Communism....

Last edited by RaceTime; 13 Oct 2002 at 08:21.