Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1269603)   #1
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Candidates for the U.K. seat.

Personally i'd go for Ralph Firman. Has won every championship he has contested (bar one of course) very experienced and has done alot of development work for the series. (does that hamper his eligibility?) I'm looking forward to Brands. Does anyone have any idea what sort of cost the tickets will be?
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1269608)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the fact Ralph has done a lot of the testing of the car may rule him out.

John Surtees has indicated the car may well be raced by several drivers - after all it's the country who scores the points.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1269631)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
John Surtees has indicated the car may well be raced by several drivers - after all it's the country who scores the points.
But not at the same time

I think Robbie Kerr's name was mentioned, among others.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1269643)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
But not at the same time

Well spotted!

I've also heard the name of Adam Carroll linked to the seat.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1269646)   #5
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't Kerr and Firman inelligeble because of the amount of miles they have in the car already?
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1269651)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

I don't think there's any specific rule on that, Kidzer, but as a comparison, GP2 insisted on using test drivers who would not be racing in the championship - ie Montagny and McNish - so it's a sensible approach.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1269686)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ-Turner
Personally i'd go for Ralph Firman. Has won every championship he has contested (bar one of course) very experienced and has done alot of development work for the series. (does that hamper his eligibility?) I'm looking forward to Brands. Does anyone have any idea what sort of cost the tickets will be?

I think tickes are £20 and £10 for a grandstand, but check it out on MSV's website www.motorsportvision.co.uk
Old 4 Apr 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1269703)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Checked the prices for you (aren't I a nice chap) and if you buy on the day it's £35 but if you book in advance it's £29.

I reckon thats a pretty good deal.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1269766)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Do you know what the support program is for the A1 weekend? (more particularly what's happening on the Sunday?)
Old 4 Apr 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1269770)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
At the moment it's Thoroughbred Grand Prix Cars, Palmer Audi, GT Invitation Race, MSV F Fords and A1GP, so a pretty decent programme and one that should attract a very large crowd.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1271056)   #11
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Checked the prices for you (aren't I a nice chap)

Thoroughly, bloody nice chap. I have seen the TGP before at the British G.P. in '01. £29 in advance is a bargain if you ask me, well worth it. Cheers fellas.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1272806)   #12
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the team/owner of the franchise choose the driver or does A1GP. Also would the driver have to bring sponsorship money for the drive or not because that would have a huge impact on who could be driving....e.g adam carroll or somebody like that would probably be more interested in spending money in an established series not a brand new unproven series
Old 7 Apr 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1272822)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

The team owner/franchise chooses the drivers.

We're told the UK franchise will not require its driver to bring money.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1274016)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodness, I hope none of the countries will need their driver's to bring money for a seat! That's become a huge problem in so many series today, that they should ban driver money altogether for A1. The teams should front the money and just go out and get the best driver they can, period.

I see no sense in starting out a series with pay drivers...

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Apr 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1274333)   #15
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Goodness, I hope none of the countries will need their driver's to bring money for a seat! That's become a huge problem in so many series today, that they should ban driver money altogether for A1. The teams should front the money and just go out and get the best driver they can, period.

I see no sense in starting out a series with pay drivers...
amen to that.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1275602)   #16
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
DEADDUCK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have also heard Adam Carroll's name mentioned and also Alex Lloyd.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 01:49 (Ref:1277696)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adam Caroll would be a good choice IMO, so too would be Jamie Green or Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1277840)   #18
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Kerr gets it - he's deserved a break for ages ... real waste of talent
Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1277855)   #19
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Four drivers were picked yesterday, does anyone know who they are? I know Robbie Kerr is one of them.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:46 (Ref:1277859)   #20
AlMillion
Rookie

"They will also carry out driver evaluation, in conjunction with John Surtees, at Brands Hatch on the 23rd and 24th May when four of Great Britain’s top international drivers, Adam Carroll, Ralph Firman, Robbie Kerr and Alex Lloyd, will compete for the chance to represent their country against nations from the four corners of the world. "
Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1277864)   #21
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Adam is now doing GP2, Ralf had his chance in F1 and did not shine in MHO so I would like to see Robbie or Alex get it, Alex was chosen in the Pan American Shoot Out/Evaluation out of 10 drivers and so I think he will do well.

If it was me I would pick both drivers for the seat and let them split the races, so both Lloyd and Kerr get to shine.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1277873)   #22
AlMillion
Rookie

I agree, both of them could do with something high-profile so they can get the support to progress their careers.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1277907)   #23
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Motors TVs' review of the autosport show did Surtees mention something about a DTM driver, and wasn't there a bit of fuss about clahing dates. Surely that would point to Paffett, McNish or Green, all quality single-seater drivers.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1277953)   #24
girl r4cer
Rookie

girl r4cer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We should start a poll on this!

I cant wait to hear how the test goes...
(We all know who can be a bit handy at Brands Hatch don't we!!)
Old 14 Apr 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1277960)   #25
AlMillion
Rookie

Who's that?