Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jan 2002, 11:21 (Ref:204109)   #1
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FW24 launched

The BMW.WilliamsF1Team, has been released, it visually looks the same, i just hope that the engine doesn't get bbqed as much this year, then it will be a factor. But here are some photos of the new contender, they are a bit small, but someone will come up with larger pics.
Attached Thumbnails
fw24front.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2002, 11:22 (Ref:204110)   #2
twig
Veteran

more
Attached Thumbnails
fw24frontthreequarter.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2002, 11:23 (Ref:204112)   #3
twig
Veteran

and more
Attached Thumbnails
fw24nose.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2002, 11:24 (Ref:204117)   #4
twig
Veteran

sorry for the size
Attached Thumbnails
fw24side.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2002, 11:43 (Ref:204126)   #5
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't like it as per last year .I do like the blue but hate that
scheme even the Mac looks better . The unit sounds like another ripper wonder if jpm will keep blowing it up[laugh]
as a package it should be a contender for sure got luv that M Power
Old 25 Jan 2002, 12:09 (Ref:204134)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see any difference to the old car. Need bigger pics...
Old 25 Jan 2002, 12:28 (Ref:204144)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DailyF1.com have a few more pics, a bit bigger...

So preoccupied with looking for new Sauber-style front susp, and ant eater noses - didn't see the huge "flip-up" arrangement over the rear tyres.

They still have the barge-board less design (with the mini barge-boards set within the front susp, but the area behind the front wheels totally clean).

If they have done as Head says, and focussed on more all-round chassis (and presumably better reliability) they might not need anything more radical. They already have the most radical driver (JPM) and engine...

Tyres will be the big decider in 2002, I reckon.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 13:17 (Ref:204174)   #8
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far it seems Williams has been the only team not to have droopy noses...

I thought 7UP was going to sponsor them, I heard about it last autumn.

Also I like the Senna tribute (I know it's been there before but I've never actually seen a close-up).
Old 25 Jan 2002, 14:04 (Ref:204202)   #9
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 7UP sponsorship was off track only, as in you'll see the drivers drinking their drinks and they'll be giving out free samples at the races i guess
Old 25 Jan 2002, 14:10 (Ref:204207)   #10
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
So far it seems Williams has been the only team not to have droopy noses...

I thought 7UP was going to sponsor them, I heard about it last autumn.

Also I like the Senna tribute (I know it's been there before but I've never actually seen a close-up).
7UP sponsor is an off-track. The logo is not present in the car, but look at the blue thing at the back, the 7up logo is right below the FEDEX one.
[img]http://www.dailyf1.com/data/photos/2002/launches/williams/pic02.jpg
[/img]
YUP, the Senna tribute is always present at the Williams nose. I've taken several pictures of it when the fw23 was shown in my town.
BTW, None have mentioned that Williams got a new sponsor.....FEDEX which replaces Nortel Networks.

Last edited by facco; 25 Jan 2002 at 14:20.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 15:11 (Ref:204229)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A refined form of last year's car... I was anticipating more radical visual differences after reading reports of the team being extremely secretive about it's looks..felt a little let down...

Although not the most visually appealing...it does look tough enough for JPM to force his way through the field ala Spa 2001 and withstand a couple of knocks.. I'm sure that the Williams would be a step forward from last year...and i applaud their guts to maintain their own identity (or lack of...their cars doesnt look distinctive in design) and not copy from the winner... Hopefully it doesn't back fire, but Head is known for his engineering powess and not in arts...so i guess as long as the car works..nobody cares how it looks.

Not a bad effort it seems...and i'm pretty sure there would be some changes to the front wing...no doubt the BMW would be potent (BMW decides to put their ALMS efforts to sleep to concentrate on their mother-project...)
Old 25 Jan 2002, 15:59 (Ref:204262)   #12
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In front of the front suspension, under the nose there are some odd aero bits. Other than these, from what I've seen, the FW24 doesnt look too radical.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 16:14 (Ref:204270)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year we said it was boring to. And yes, it is a bit.

BUT who needs to pay time, money and attention to marginally "improving undercar airflow" or "tidying the aero around the airbox" with some radical design when you've got a hulking great big 900bhp Beemer under the covers??

I think Willybum had more important things to fiddle with, such as reliability.

One other point. So conservative are Williams that they were the ONLY team last year not to elect an interesting, radical bendy front wing. Here again we see a front wing as flat as a tea-tray. Any ideas why?? Is it a case of "if it ain't broke..."??
Old 25 Jan 2002, 18:39 (Ref:204339)   #14
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
I think Willybum had more important things to fiddle with, such as reliability.
You're right my friend !, Last year reliability was the issue to solve. This year they have not so many changes on the chasis, and their drivers know the appropriate setup for some tracks already.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 19:03 (Ref:204351)   #15
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure they have a solution for the problems they had last year in Mickey Mouse circuits. Engine power alone is not going to fix that problem.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 20:31 (Ref:204392)   #16
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For years Williams cars carried a little Courage cockerel stuck on in some discrete place in memory of Piers Courage. Do they still do this?.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 23:08 (Ref:204493)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car looks pretty much like last year's. The Senna tribute is a nice touch, I actually never knew it was there. Nice to see it. And for me - when I see the FedEx logo on the car, it gives an association: FedEx = CART. And which driver came from CART? Juan Pablo Montoya! It's a sign! Montoya for WDC this year!!
Old 26 Jan 2002, 04:08 (Ref:204577)   #18
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
I am sure they have a solution for the problems they had last year in Mickey Mouse circuits. Engine power alone is not going to fix that problem.
This is definitely true. I can recall at several tracks last season, Williams were unable to get the downforce needed to stick the car to the road whilst negotiating the twisty bits. Whereas Ferrari were always fast in this area. They have not added many aero type winglets, bargeboards, and stuff, so it will be interesting to see what they have done, besides that bit over the rear wheels, to correct this. A lower center of gravity from the new motor probably helps some too.

Good luck to Williams...it looks like McLaren as well as Ferrari will be strong too.

The Senna tribute is a nice touch.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 09:46 (Ref:204620)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I must admit I had never noticed the Senna tribute before, thanks for pointing it out to me guys!
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:31 (Ref:204690)   #20
facco
Racer

Yup It was a surprise for me too, while taking a photo to the fw23, seeing that SENNA on the Williams nose.

I've been told to look at this side of the car where some "updates" to the chassis were made.

and, this is not new, was part of the fw23 too.

Aside of that.... now the mirrors are in blue and the names are just below the intake.

35 days to go!

Last edited by facco; 26 Jan 2002 at 13:35.
Old 26 Jan 2002, 13:39 (Ref:204697)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
In fairness, I think most of this years cars will to some degree be an evolution of last years model. Unless you can come up with something extremely radical and within the rules, there's very little other way to go!
Old 26 Jan 2002, 14:25 (Ref:204716)   #22
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robbie Kerr, who was at the launch, has written a column on racinglines.com, talking about the launch from a drivers point of view.
One of the other articles on racinglines about the launch (main news area) talks about an interesting aero "blade" at floor level in front of the side pods, any ideas?
Old 26 Jan 2002, 15:54 (Ref:204766)   #23
facco
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sid The Manager
One of the other articles on racinglines about the launch (main news area) talks about an interesting aero "blade" at floor level in front of the side pods, any ideas?
This?
Old 26 Jan 2002, 16:28 (Ref:204782)   #24
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No this bit
Attached Thumbnails
williams blade.jpg  
Old 26 Jan 2002, 17:02 (Ref:204798)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Sid, you remember the blades they used to have on chariots? Well this is William's answer to TGF trying to overtake JPM. If he gets a wheel inside then the blade rips his tyre to shreds. A bit of deja vous wouldn't you say?