Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1010019)   #1
sawbench
Rookie

sawbench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya exclusion. Why after 50+ laps????

My Montoya

The guy risks his a*se around a racetrack for 50+ something laps and then, ONLY THEN, do they decide it is wrong he is in the race.

Were the stewards of the meeting in McDonalds for that time just putting on a bit more weight???

What would they be feeling - apart from not hungry anymore - if it was Montoya in the wall, and now hospital with back pains, hey?

have I missed something??
Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:49 (Ref:1010028)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The driver (Montoya) joined the race after the start in a spare car in circumstances where the driver had not left the grid within 15 seconds of the start," an FIA statement said.

Regulation says that: ''No change of car is permitted after the start of the race and, any driver wishing to change car, must have got out of his orignial car and left the grid before the 15 second signal which immediately precedes the start.

A change of car will be deemed to have taken place once a driver is seated in his new car and such a change may only take place in the pit lane or the team's designated garage area. ''

i don't know . it could have been an error of the stewards, or maybe someone passed a good word . about it . maybe another team . who knows

Last edited by Dani Filth; 20 Jun 2004 at 20:50.

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:49 (Ref:1010030)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Charming post.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1010034)   #4
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this similar to what happened with Ayrton Senna in the 1988 Brazilian GP? He started from the pit lane, got up to 2nd place behind Prost, only to be black-flagged at about half distance.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1010036)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Prost at Monza 1986 too.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1010040)   #6
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Montoya exclusion. Why after 50+ laps????

Quote:
Originally posted by sawbench
My Montoya

The guy risks his a*se around a racetrack for 50+ something laps and then, ONLY THEN, do they decide it is wrong he is in the race.

Were the stewards of the meeting in McDonalds for that time just putting on a bit more weight???

What would they be feeling - apart from not hungry anymore - if it was Montoya in the wall, and now hospital with back pains, hey?

have I missed something??
Excellent point. It seems as if, for some strange reason, Montoya is the unluckiest guy at the USGP. Last year it was a big shame and this year.. its farcical.

Second williams disqualification in two races. I dont know who's to be blamed...
Old 20 Jun 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1010044)   #7
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that it was rather stupid not to have black flagged him after a lap or two...
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1010053)   #8
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Monty already had done his first pitstop after we got first notice that he was under investigation. Surely, there is no margain for breaking this rule so when it happens, it happens and the penalty must be given then and there.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1010079)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's just utter BS.

I thought they had to issue a penalty within 20 minutes of stating that the car was under investigation. And then it was well into the race before they decided to investigate.

Thanks to the stewards for allowing JPM to risk a puncture with all the carbon fibre shards everywhere lap after lap only for it to be for nothing.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1010080)   #10
sawbench
Rookie

Thank you Frued - I'll buy you a drink next time in the pub.

No -one else picked up on the point that it is out of order to risk a guy's backside for nothing.

see my other posts about How long it took the doctors to get to Ralf.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1010113)   #11
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well the FIA is very quick to impose fines and reprimand its drivers on petty errors. May be now JPM should ask them for some compensation.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:53 (Ref:1010126)   #12
sawbench
Rookie

excellent response.

You and I are one on this.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1010132)   #13
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just heard another theory .. they let him on track for marketing reasons . you know . HP, Bud .. etc .. . it sounds strange . but . who knows ...

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1010137)   #14
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can find no reference in the FIA 2004 F1 Sporting Regulations to any 20 minute rule or any requirements to how long after an incident takes place when the FIA have to make a decision. Indeed it seems that it could theoretically happen after the race has finished!
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:05 (Ref:1010147)   #15
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
"The reason for Juan Pablo’s black flag is that when we tried to start the engine on the grid, the starter would not engage into the back of the car and we decided therefore that Juan Pablo should get into the T-car. However, according to the FIA’s article No.85 Juan Pablo would need to have left the grid within 15 seconds before the start of the formation lap and we were a few seconds too late. Obviously two disappointing results in a row is not good. However we are fighter and intend to come back strongly"

Sam Michael

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1010154)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A rule was broken and therefore his disqualification was fair, however, the way it was done was simply yet another demonstration of FIA incompetence. If a rule has been broken it shouldn't take the guys that have written the damn rule book half the race to spot the infringment!
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1010165)   #17
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Warland
I can find no reference in the FIA 2004 F1 Sporting Regulations to any 20 minute rule or any requirements to how long after an incident takes place when the FIA have to make a decision. Indeed it seems that it could theoretically happen after the race has finished!
I've just gone and had a look and I stand corrected for the current regulations.

Although I swear blind that something was in place to that effect in the past. I distinctively recall this point being discussed a few years ago during race commentary.

Oh well, then was then and this is now.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:18 (Ref:1010172)   #18
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brundle made the same comment about the 20 minute thing. I'm annoyed that they BF'd him just as he was catching up Barry and Schuey!
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1010179)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The 20 min rule is one of those rules that changes quite regularly I guess (with little notification). I haven't a clue what the current situation is. Thansk for Neil for looking through the rules for us.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1010187)   #20
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
i found the 15 secs one . but no 20 minutes in the sporting . i got it now from FIA but it;s a 2003 version . maybe they didn;t update the website

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:29 (Ref:1010192)   #21
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...port_Reg_a.pdf
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:48 (Ref:1010209)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I did beleive you Neil, but I've had a quick search through that too. There are lots of rules about it and the notification. The main ones are notifications about driver-throughs and stop-goes, but none mention a time scale now. As far as I can see.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 00:50 (Ref:1010266)   #23
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JPM must be just fuming about the entire situation.... he being out there all that time meaninglessly ...especially with his teammate in such a serious accident. He would have no way of telling the cause but in his mind there was a chance it could be a mechanical fault that he shared. Shame on FIA !!!!
Old 21 Jun 2004, 02:36 (Ref:1010296)   #24
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Montoya exclusion. Why after 50+ laps????

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
I dont know who's to be blamed...
If we have to to blames someone, it WAS Sam Michael, the new Williams's tech director.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 02:37 (Ref:1010297)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's no reason to fume. The regulations were clear, and unfortunate as it may be, he's fairly black flagged for it.

FIA should be able to work faster on such things...it's either too slow and get banned, or just right. But thinking on the bright side, maybe FIA just want to get things right before the black flag is shown ...afterall, they haven't used that flag for so long...

It's dangerous out there yesterday with all the carbon, but i think its the same for everyone. if FIA wants to do anything about it, they should just stop the race.

To blame FIA for endangering JPM? Com'on...Sam could have called JPM in on safety concerns, but it didn't happen. And when notice is first served, Williams would've seen replays, time it, judge they have flout the rules, and call JPM in earlier to protect JPM's safety..

Last edited by Gt_R; 21 Jun 2004 at 02:40.

Tags
jpm