Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 29 Nov 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2343710)   #101
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although I am very biasd, after 18 years of full hillclimb seasons, it must be my club's hill Loton for the driver facilities, the length of track (inc downhill section) and the speed of the place.

Prescott is second only because it is so easy to spectate, has great civilised faciliites and is a 'nice hill' to drive.

Shelsley next for sheer atmosphere and very hard to go fast on.

HOWEVER for a real treat there are 2 to try

Epynt

You must do this Welsh hill. I've done it twice and it IS a blast and very very fast in a truely spectacular location. Do not miss the 2 next year. It will become a premier event very soon.

Barbon

It is just a great place with a good fast hill with a twist in the tail at the end. Just a very nice clubbie event, and if the sun shines? Bliss.

My very favorite hillclimb tool:

Old 29 Nov 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2343734)   #102
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber

My very favorite hillclimb tool:

I can certainly say it's an exciting car to ride in as a passenger too.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2343886)   #103
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That dinner time was such good fun for the Marshals and those drivers who 'went for it'!
Why go slow when you can go quite fast?
Old 1 Dec 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2344579)   #104
AUTOLEGEND
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
AUTOLEGEND should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to say Pikes Peak. Place is legendary. Audi, Peugeot, Toyota, and Suzuki have all left that place victorius and with an achievement that rivals all their others.

+ climb dance is a great visual on how crazy it is to go up the mountain. I suggest anyone go to youtube and see it.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2344783)   #105
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Pikes Peak looks absolutely stunning and is a venue i'd love to visit.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2344917)   #106
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fantastic place, but not sure it qualifies as a 'hill'! I wonder how far a Gould could get up it? I think it would need refuelling stops!
Old 1 Dec 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2344962)   #107
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Fantastic place, but not sure it qualifies as a 'hill'! I wonder how far a Gould could get up it? I think it would need refuelling stops!
Wooley, I am absolutely certain that Pikes Peak actually goes up, therefore in the strickest terms it is a HILL. It may well be more of a MOUNTAIN but it is still as far as the FIA are concerned a Hill Climb.

Old 1 Dec 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2344988)   #108
gsyracer
Rookie

gsyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings all (especially those who already know me)

Obviously I'm going to say Val Des Terres - the local hill - but can imagine any of the UK hills will be just as exciting.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2345223)   #109
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
it is still as far as the FIA are concerned a Hill Climb.
But as far as the FIA is concerned, F1 is motor racing...

Pikes Peak is really more rallying than speed hill-climbing, else you'd include Esgair Dafyd, Queenstown and others. However, try as I might, I can't convince myself it's not a valid inclusion either!
Old 2 Dec 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2345556)   #110
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I was just thinking about the current and historical definition of a Hillclimb. Going back to the genesis of all motor sport, Pike's Peak's surface and extreme test of a car's ability is probably the closest modern day equivilent of those original UK Hillclimbs. Even TWF adopting a tarmac surface means it's nature has changed somewhat. (Observations not critcisms!)
Old 2 Dec 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2345658)   #111
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Ooh, controversial! Actually, I agree on the whole.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 12:44 (Ref:2373848)   #112
mallockman24
Rookie

mallockman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A newbies ha'penny worth. While I agree with the majority of comments on Shelsley, Loton, Prescott, I have to make a case for some of our excellent hills in the SW. Wiscombe - what a setting, challenging hill, challenging paddock, enthusiastic organisers and marshalls. Castle Hillclimb, worth it for the blind, butt clenchingly high speed last corner, v friendly host club. Werrington, very fast, very bumpy, 101mph exit from final esses from a 1700cc pushrod! Spare nosecones useful.
Good thread.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2403767)   #113
Mark.A.S
Rookie

Mark.A.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, to drive on, Wiscombe as it really flows up to the first Hairpin, then it would be either Loton or Doune.
The Ramsey I.O.M course was great as well, especially driving through town on slicks to the petrol station!
Old 1 Mar 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2406560)   #114
JasagRacer
Rookie

England
Woodford Halse & Duquesa, Southern Spain
JasagRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be Gurston Down.

Thoroughly enjoyed Valence School Hillclimb, when it was running; also anyone remember Bodiam in Sussex?
Harewood is also a good challenge for us Southerners.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2408910)   #115
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatt View Post
Are we allowed to nominate venues which no longer exist ?.

If so, great though Shelsley, Prescott & Loton are, I'd like to nominate Great Auclum.

Challenging course, totally informal, excellent beer, delightfully idiosyncratic - but sadly hasn't been held for some thirty years now, and the site is surrounded by houses.

Now I've made myself feel old....
Another oldie here. Always a great Saturday at the beginning of August. "Idiosyncratic" is the perfect word, a downhill start and a banked bend which Rivers Fletcher would use and large trees seemingly inches from the track.

The one which gave me most pleasure was my local, as a youngster that is, Brunton near Collingbourne Kingston in Wiltshire (between Andover and Marlborough), because I attended so many meetings (B.A.R.C. Soth Western Centre) there between 1954 and 1970. If anybody has any material, information etc on it please let me know.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2447690)   #116
twisted
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
twisted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be Collingrove South Australia....cos I am fast on it Ha ha lol!
Old 6 Jun 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2476451)   #117
mike.bills
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Midlands
mike.bills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i have only marshaled at Shelsly i cant make the decision but that will be rectified very soon
Old 6 Jun 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2476469)   #118
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Westbrook Hay near Hemel Hempstead

Any memories anyone ? It is the drive up to a private school operational during the 1950s and a part of the British hillclimb Championship. Its all still there !
Old 8 Jun 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2477656)   #119
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Claypole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harewood is great, I have no experience of other hillclimbs, just glad to be able to post on this thread at last.
Cheers Claypole
Old 27 Jun 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2491715)   #120
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I can't even remember all seven dwarfs, so your list is mightily impressive.
All to be found generally officiating as Clerks at any Shelsley Walsh weekend, I will try and get them to wear name badges so that you can refresh your memory regarding their names.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2491729)   #121
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
haven't read the thread but did anyone mention Oddicombe yet? Imagine hurling a Montego Turbo up there, inches from the rock wall.... absolutely loved it, happy memories...
Old 28 Jun 2009, 06:23 (Ref:2491834)   #122
chrisdrewett
Rookie

chrisdrewett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
Another oldie here. Always a great Saturday at the beginning of August. "Idiosyncratic" is the perfect word, a downhill start and a banked bend which Rivers Fletcher would use and large trees seemingly inches from the track.

The one which gave me most pleasure was my local, as a youngster that is, Brunton near Collingbourne Kingston in Wiltshire (between Andover and Marlborough), because I attended so many meetings (B.A.R.C. Soth Western Centre) there between 1954 and 1970. If anybody has any material, information etc on it please let me know.
Brunton was the scene of my first attempts at Hillclimbing, first in 1962 in a Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica and a year later in a Lotus 18. I've still got the programme and a small silver pot to prove it!
Chris
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2523985)   #123
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
All to be found generally officiating as Clerks at any Shelsley Walsh weekend, I will try and get them to wear name badges so that you can refresh your memory regarding their names.
Except for Brian Lyle who bears a passing resemblance to the Jolly Green Giant.
All other PORGS (Persons of Restricted Growth) who aren't clerks can be found in Course Control
Old 19 Aug 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2524491)   #124
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rechberg!! Thats my vote

And boy would I love to go to one of those Euro Berg climbs
Old 5 Sep 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2534876)   #125
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
High Auldgirth near Dumfries. A great challenge and three hairpin bends and some fast straights. Sadly no longer used. I hold the classic class record, presumably for all time!
I never liked Doune but it is well run.
Harewood is great in every way except the food, and perhaps too many runners which makes for a long day and not many runs.
Scammonden is in a God forsaken place for a good hill and you get lots of runs. No facilties of course.
Baitings was great and a pub at the top of the hill. I think I still have a class record there as well!
Olivers Mount was OK but the organisation was dreadful.
Forrestburn - I never did as well there as I felt I should but the organisation is great. Another God forsaken place though!