Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2001, 23:36 (Ref:166771)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yoong : Man on a mission

Quote:
24-year-old Yoong faced an uphill struggle in his learning of Formula One after being employed to replace Tarso Marques before the Italian Grand Prix, not helped by the three-year-old Cosworth V10s team chief Paul Stoddart was forced to use this year.

'This season's engine was lacking in terms of horsepower and that has made everything look a struggle,' explained Yoong to Malaysian paper "Sun".

Previously Asiatech has been using the Peugeot A21 V10 as its platform, but will next year have its own unit that has been designed and developed in house at Velizy, France.

'I anticipate a better season as the team will be using the Asiatech engine,' said Yoong.

But Yoong was equally forthright about his own situation for next season.

'The pressure is for me to do well and I may have to fight to win a point,' he frankly stated.

'It's like a war out there, and even though I was on a learning curve this season I can expect the situation to be even more challenging next year.'

From three races Yoong's best result was at the season closer in Japan, where he finished 16th.

Yoong seems to be a man on a mission !!!!!

Hope his mate for next season will not be Alonso...

Old 29 Oct 2001, 01:33 (Ref:166796)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

Oh yeah!!
Old 29 Oct 2001, 08:00 (Ref:166845)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yoong's main mission for 2002 will be to qualify for the race, let alone trying to finish anywhere. His couple of races this year were hardly impressive and will most likely go down in history as just another shocker of a rent-a-driver.

Good news to hear Asiatech are making the effort to build their own engine. Hopefully it performs better than this year and gains more development and power. Then, just maybe, Minardi could be competitive. But it will also depend on how good the car is and who's driving.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 11:27 (Ref:166896)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He seems pretty confident in a built-from-scratch engine, and really focused on his effort to make good races.

I think in both cases, the problem will be reliability.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 10:34 (Ref:168272)   #5
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

He's on a mission alright. A mission to become the slowest driver EVER!
Old 1 Nov 2001, 11:51 (Ref:168298)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well...no matter how good the engine would be next year, i can't imagine Yoong doing much... he seems to be one of the many drivers who just pass my F1 and make up the numbers.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 13:02 (Ref:168318)   #7
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf I think the accolade for slowest driver ever goes to Ricardo Rosset, he was the biggest arse going, Yoong hopefully will come good, not Micheal Schumacher good but a respectable Grand Prix driver.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 20:28 (Ref:168468)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to be fair to Rosset he wasnt bad in F3000.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 21:24 (Ref:168495)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
Ralf I think the accolade for slowest driver ever goes to Ricardo Rosset, he was the biggest arse going, Yoong hopefully will come good, not Micheal Schumacher good but a respectable Grand Prix driver.
You never know who's next...
Old 2 Nov 2001, 06:23 (Ref:168602)   #10
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey what about that Esterban Tuero fella who drove a few years ago. he was worse than yoong. but i wish they would just bring in Mark Webber to minardi. then i would be happy
Old 2 Nov 2001, 06:41 (Ref:168604)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Mark Webber would be great, but what Minardi needs is money...
Old 2 Nov 2001, 07:31 (Ref:168612)   #12
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mi:3?? (Mission Impossible)

Old 3 Nov 2001, 08:12 (Ref:169210)   #13
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1grandprixshop
mi:3?? (Mission Impossible)

good one mate, good one. i laughed for ages (hey how do you put in those cool little emoticons?)

Last edited by timbo2001; 3 Nov 2001 at 08:16.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 09:26 (Ref:169220)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by timbo2001

good one mate, good one. i laughed for ages (hey how do you put in those cool little emoticons?)
the smilies are on the left side of the message box of your reply page...
Old 3 Nov 2001, 12:19 (Ref:169284)   #15
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by timbo2001
Hey what about that Esterban Tuero fella who drove a few years ago. he was worse than yoong.
but not worse than rosset...........god even i remember rosset being laughably bad!
Old 6 Nov 2001, 15:27 (Ref:170893)   #16
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff

but not worse than rosset...........god even i remember rosset being laughably bad!
But, Yoong is as laughably... my mom asked if that was a grand prix or a grand spinning contest what was happening on the tv.
Old 6 Nov 2001, 17:26 (Ref:170956)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mi3 joke is lost on me, but if it refers to chassis numbers it is incorrect since the 2002 car will be the PS-02.

Yoong has raced in three grands prix. In a Minardi. People are judging him WAY too critically. Ok, so he has been draughted in to a great extent because of the cash backing he brings with him, but that's what Minardi needs - the money to afford good engines to make their cars go faster to get the results which attract talented drivers.

If you want to discuss laughable F1 drivers, might I suggest the names Ricardo Rosset, Giovanni Lavaggi and Taki Inoue? Neither Alex Yoong nor Esteban Tuero could ever be considered laughable.

Old 6 Nov 2001, 18:46 (Ref:171038)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan

If you want to discuss laughable F1 drivers, might I suggest the names Ricardo Rosset, Giovanni Lavaggi and Taki Inoue? Neither Alex Yoong nor Esteban Tuero could ever be considered laughable.

Okay theres no way in the world I am gonna defend Taki Inoue cos he was sh1te.... however Rosset won F3000 races If you will recall.... altho I wish Jos had driven that Tyrrell. and Johhny Carwash, altho being over the hill before he got to F1 (late starter) is a pretty good driver in WSPC - witness his drive from 4 laps down at this years Monza 1000km to win. If that was Pedro Rodriguez in a 917 30 years ago Nigel Roebuck for one would be bashing his bishop all over his weekly column in Autosport... dont get me wrong Im not denegrating Pedro who was an undoubted ace but its horses for courses and Lavaggis no slouch.

Last edited by ghinzani; 6 Nov 2001 at 18:48.
Old 8 Nov 2001, 15:18 (Ref:171926)   #19
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Esteban Tuero. WHAT an underatted driver. Same applies to Tarso Marquez, IMO, but nobody seems to aggree