Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jun 2004, 01:32 (Ref:1020884)   #1
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it time for Seton to hang up the helmet?

Geez I know Im gonna get grilled for this one.

I will say this: His qualifying speed say no, he shouldnt retire. Although qualifying is only part of the gig. Results matter and for the past few years (Bathurst last year excluded) he has done little or nothing in the way of dazzling race results. He is doing no favors to FPR by staying next year. Over the hill syndrome has hit him hard, he cant sustain pace, sure he may qualify just outside the top ten (sometimes in it) but it only takes the best part of 10 laps before he is lucky to be in the top 20.

Time to be gracefull me thinks.

Last edited by Archer; 30 Jun 2004 at 01:33.
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 30 Jun 2004, 02:28 (Ref:1020910)   #2
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think so, for the last couple of years he has been in a struggling team, thats got to affect results.
I doubt there are many more dissapointed people than the baby faced assassin himself with recent results. except maybe lowndes of course.
I understand he provides alot of set up data for the team, and recent drives in the capri show he still has the talent.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 02:42 (Ref:1020916)   #3
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silk purse/sows ear syndrome applies here. As Dick Johnson once said, "You can't make strawberry jam out of pig st".

The V8 Supercar game is all about the equipment underneath you. In reality, his more illustrious teammate has done little better, lucking his way to a couple or round wins in extreme weather conditions, then languishing around the fringes of the top ten on a good day. We all know the FPR cars are absolute buckets of !!

No, I think Seto has a few good years in him yet. I know it was a while ago, but people forget his excellent performances in 1993 and 1997.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 02:56 (Ref:1020922)   #4
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might agree with you if his car had the pace to be properly competetive, and it was still happening but in the current equipment, i don't think this is a fair assessment.

I like Glen, and i think he drives well. I'd love to see whether he was still at the edge in a properly fast car still. I'm sure so would he.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 02:59 (Ref:1020923)   #5
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO
Old 30 Jun 2004, 03:00 (Ref:1020924)   #6
Archer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueBlood
I understand he provides alot of set up data for the team
Exactly why I said he wouldnt be doing them any favors by staying.

as for using FPR and Lowndes as an excuse for his performances... Be real! he hasnt been a contender since his last championship in 97. 98 nothing, 99 nothing, 00 nothing, 01 nothing, 02 nothing, 03 nothing, 04 so far- nothing.

A few good years left in him? Dream on.
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

Old 30 Jun 2004, 03:02 (Ref:1020925)   #7
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait for Seton Fanatic to see this thread
Old 30 Jun 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1020928)   #8
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Archer
Exactly why I said he wouldnt be doing them any favors by staying.

as for using FPR and Lowndes as an excuse for his performances... Be real! he hasnt been a contender since his last championship in 97. 98 nothing, 99 nothing, 00 nothing, 01 nothing, 02 nothing, 03 nothing, 04 so far- nothing.

A few good years left in him? Dream on.
Why did you bother asking the question if you already think you know the answer Archer?

ya! Next time you ask a question, I'll know not to give my opinion.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1020930)   #9
Archer
Veteran

Charming EL

Old 30 Jun 2004, 03:47 (Ref:1020943)   #10
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I positively believe that Glenn shouldn't retire. There are many mitigating factors that have caused this thread to pop up and I will cover these in considerable detail.

CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS: 1998: 6th
1999: =3rd with Skaife
2000: 5th
2001: 16th
2002: 24th
2003: 15th
2004: 21st

BATHURST RESULTS: 1998: 5th
1999: 5th
2000: 13th
2001: 9th
2002: DNF
2003: 2nd

QUALIFYING: There is no doubt that Glenn has always been an excellent qualifier; particularly in shootouts when the pressure is really on. Generally, Glenn remained a force in Qualifying until 2002 when the confidence levels were at their lowest following the Phillip Island crash and the enormous difficulty in getting the famed 'Silver Streak' to handle on Dunlop tyres which clearly upset a car which had shown much potential the year before on Bridgestone tyres. Stocks were so low that we saw Glenn qualify 27th at Phillip Island; 28th at Pukekohe and Surfers Paradise. 2003 was always going to be difficult in terms of Qualifying given the enormous adjustments that Glenn had to make in being just a driver. He did well to be consistently 1-2 tenths off Lowndes' pace in Qualifying until Bathurst where that 2nd place seemed to light the Seton spark. He has since been on Craig's pace or outpacing him; whether that is due to more experience in uncompetitive cars or pure driving skill has yet to be quantified. It is looking encouraging to say the least to outpace a driver many want to be in a 'superteam' with Marcos Ambrose.

RACING: Let's face facts here: Glenn was a far more aggressive racer before his Phillip Island crash. Since then, he hasn't been as aggressive. There are signs that Glenn has regained some of this lost aggression. Bathurst last year is a prime example of this. Defending his position with unusual vigour from Ambrose warmed the cockles in my heart to say the least. His starts have improved considerably as well, which is a good sign that he is coming around for the Second Coming.

THE FUTURE: It would be unfair to disount Glenn from race or championship wins. I feel that he has a five-year window in which to do this on a regular basis. Forget retirement, Glenn Seton still has goals and ambitions which are unfulfilled. He won't be retiring from full-time driving until at least 45. I feel he'll be staying at FPR next year.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 05:50 (Ref:1020983)   #11
silvervsix
Racer

silvervsix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If FPR got him a good car it would show not only glenn but every one whether he still had pace and is on the downhill slope to becoming a enduro driver. Until that time it is hard to deter his current levels.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 05:50 (Ref:1020984)   #12
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he has been overrated for a long looooong time
But I guess he isnt any better or worse than most of the pack driving around.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:03 (Ref:1020990)   #13
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think his qualifying efforts compared to Lowndes this year have been quite good.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:10 (Ref:1020992)   #14
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i knew you wouldn't let us down seton fanatic! Does Joe5619 post on here? he'll be next!
Just one point seton fanatic that you and joe keep bringing up - the fact that seton is usualyy within 1 or 2 tenths of CL's time. Please be mindful of the fact the CL is driving, as is alleged, on Glen's set ups. glen is being beaten by someone in a car setup especially for himself......hmmm......i think there is something in that for everyone.......(sorry - too much stocktaking today!!)
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:14 (Ref:1020995)   #15
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Read the post again. Glenn was consistently 1-2 tenths of a second behind Craig before Bathurst last year. Since then, he has been right on Craig's pace or outpacing him. I believe it's a confidence issue for Glenn rather than a driving skill or setup issue.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:20 (Ref:1020997)   #16
SRabbit
Veteran

what has that translated to in race results though? CL finished 5th in the Championship last year, glen was.....?
Saying someones worth is what they have achieved in qualifying should get me in the Australian cricket team because I hit more in the middle in the nets than Ponting.

Last edited by SRabbit; 30 Jun 2004 at 06:26.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:23 (Ref:1020999)   #17
Seton Fanatic
Racer

15th in the championship. This is not an excuse, but remember he had the AU for three rounds last year (admittedly, by his own choosing) and reliability didn't go his way when he looked good for top 10 or 5 race results. Otherwise, I'm certain that he would have finished in the top 10.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 06:24 (Ref:1021001)   #18
SRabbit
Veteran

(sorry everyone)

Last edited by SRabbit; 30 Jun 2004 at 06:25.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1021106)   #19
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SRabbit
i knew you wouldn't let us down seton fanatic! Does Joe5619 post on here? he'll be next!
heheheehehe.... You must have missed my post!!!! I first saw this topic at work, but was too busy to type out a big long reply, so my reply was short & sweet... But SF has done a far better job than I could have done!!!!

And SRabbit, in my opinion Seto was out qualifier & out paced Lowndes all year (but I've choosen not to write this before as I could just image some of the replies). 2003 was a different story, Lowndes was quicker than Seto (Bathurst I think it started to change!!!)... But for what ever reason(s) Seto has been consistantly quicker than Lowndes in practices, quailifing & races THIS YEAR (A if anyone does not believe me, I dare you to go look at lap times!!!!).... However at the end of the day Lowndes is still in front of Seto this year in champhionship points, but not by much!!!! And maybe if the engines hang in there for both Seto & Lowndes it would be a different story for both!!!

Last edited by Joe5619; 30 Jun 2004 at 08:42.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1021180)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it cold ever be said that Setoj was an "agressive" driver in the mould of some others. That is selling him way too short. Finesse and refinement are more his srong suits. FPR have been behind the game technically and perhaps Seton himself has been adjusting to the new world he finds himself in, not going in to the office ervery day, juggling sponsorship and technical issues n a daily basis, not to mention moving to Qld and turnng upat the races with a helmet and kit bag instead of the aforementioned plus mobile phone. Big change for him. Not over the hill, past it or too slow yet!!!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 30 Jun 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1021206)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The secret is to get into another class of car and have some fun. If Mr Seton is out of a gig at FPR in 2005, and he ends up as a tester at HRT, hopefully he will end up running something else as a bit of fun.

I can remember Mr Seton's magic drive at Winton in the proddie 300km race, and damned near won the thing in that Leyton House CRX... with very little time in the car... or that Saab effort at the mountain in the 12hr with Bondy....

The guy can drive, he needs to clear his head from driving shytboxes, and go hunting in a class where skill is more important than which accented engineer is used to build the engine....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Jun 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1021225)   #22
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember when alan grice used to be called the best driver never to win bathurst, to me that title now goes to seton, and he can still win it.

Enzo Ferrari
Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1021255)   #23
Mattracer
Veteran

I'm not sure that is a title any driver ever wanted...

he can still win and many more times than once. He says it a lot every oher year on the telecast, Godamnit!!!!!

Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1021279)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess when Mr Seton goes to work for old mate Skaifey he can win Bathurst in a canter.... oops, thats a Mitsubishi isnt it
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1021298)   #25
Mattracer
Veteran

It is only if it handles like a truck. Ferrari had words with Alain about "truck" and "handling" once.