Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 May 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1600646)   #1
Snake
Rookie

Azores
Narnia
Snake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanning race team frequencies

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of spending $200-$300 on a scanner to take to the races with me to listen to race team chat. My mate's been doing it for a few years and reckons it adds to the whole race experience when you can hear exactly what the teams are saying and not just relying on the track commentary.

Do others here have experience with scanners? Is it worth spending a few bucks on it? What do you get out of it?

All info gratefully appreciated.
Old 4 May 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1600683)   #2
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just bought a scanner myself for exactly the same reason. Works well if you have the team frequencies with you so you can preset them. Can get them off the V8 supercar website before each round. A bit of a tip for you, don't go spending $200 - $300! I bought mine off Ebay for about 1/2 price!
Hope that helps you.
Old 5 May 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1601393)   #3
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think mine was $150 and it is a Uniden, I bought it from the local Leading Edge store. Quick tip don't lose the instruction book, I did now I am stuck with the channels that are in there.
Old 5 May 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1601506)   #4
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should be able to download a manual somewhere on the net.

For anyone that does tune in, don't whinge about the language please!
Old 6 May 2006, 02:34 (Ref:1601541)   #5
Chubby1
Rookie

Chubby1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont forget to get yourself a decent ear peice or you wont be able to hear anything! Also dont let your kids listen to it because sometimes what is said is well very colourful. Well worth having a scanner with you on race day for sure.
Old 6 May 2006, 04:02 (Ref:1601553)   #6
15to1
Rookie

15to1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitly worth the effort, you can also listen to the Race Control channel as well and find out info on cars that are in trouble, black flags etc, there are Roving Sector Marshalls around each track and they report back to race control on all situations, great to have as your "priority" channel.
If you get your scanner cheap enough you might want to consider a decent pair of scanner headsets, I bought two sets ( e-Bay, USA) that have left and right indipendant volume controls and a "Y" connector so a friend can listen, they were delivered for about 70 bucks. Nothing worse than not hearing what is being said and your ears stay warm as well.
At least 200 channels, you can set it up so the channel corresponds with the car number and you know who is saying what, I would not go to a race meeting without a scanner, anyone that has taken one will know what i mean.
A Uniden is a good start as they are simple to program and easy to use, and another thing to consider is having batteries that are seperate, ie, not in a pack, i usually take 3 x 4 sets of rechargeables with me.
If you see some mug with a goatee wearing a red headset (slight stagger to the left..hic..) at Winton, thats me.....
Marcos, are you wearing a balaclava?...........yes
Old 6 May 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1601708)   #7
Wazzi
Rookie

Australia
Bilpin NSW
Wazzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always take my scanner with me , You can also get the track commentary as well as the radio chat. The standard ear pieces are useless when the cars go past so I use a good set of head phones,allows me to hear the scanner even when standing right at the edge of the track. a definate must
Old 7 May 2006, 02:14 (Ref:1602088)   #8
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got a good Uniden scanner from Dick Smith's for around $100 which does me. Takes standard AA batteries so easy to replace if needed.

Agree with advice about earphones - although I've found that the in-ear ipod earbuds (adjustable sizes) fit snuggly and block out other noise and give very good quality sound.

Well worth having.
Old 7 May 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1602884)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Quick tip don't lose the instruction book
Check what model you own and then check the Uniden web site as all recent user guides are available for download from there.

Either that or try Google.
Old 8 May 2006, 01:14 (Ref:1602923)   #10
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
I know the car frequencies are on the website, but what is the frequency for race control (and track commentary)?
Old 8 May 2006, 01:45 (Ref:1602931)   #11
Snake
Rookie

Azores
Narnia
Snake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo
I know the car frequencies are on the website, but what is the frequency for race control (and track commentary)?
I went looking for the frequencies on the V8 Supercar website and couldn't find them ... can anyone provide a link? Thanks.
Old 8 May 2006, 02:55 (Ref:1602948)   #12
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is from Clipsal, not sure if it is the same for every event though
http://ftp.newave.net.au/~mattb/scan/500freqs.htm
Old 8 May 2006, 03:29 (Ref:1602961)   #13
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo
The VE$A radio channel is 489.700MHz which is the same at all rounds.

This channel has all the VESA pit lane personel on it as well as the Safety Car and each team is required to monitor this channel at all times during on track activities.

Each race track has it's own radio networks to run the day to day operations trackside and some use VHF while others use UHF frequencies.
Old 8 May 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1603306)   #14
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Cheers
Old 9 May 2006, 00:44 (Ref:1603852)   #15
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been told that the Race control channel has changed and will not be made available for public knowledge.
Old 9 May 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1603886)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
I have been told that the Race control channel has changed and will not be made available for public knowledge.
Nothing is secret.

They have to publicise it in the series regs or a bulletin so the teams know what to tune to as they have to get all their radios reprogrammed.

There was word the frequency was going to be changed in the near future but I haven't heard any talk of keeping it secret.
Old 9 May 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1603939)   #17
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Each race track has it's own radio networks to run the day to day operations trackside and some use VHF while others use UHF frequencies.
Whilst some even rely on the public UHF CB band in addition to some dedicated registered frewquencies.
Old 9 May 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1604119)   #18
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cannot hide nothing from BFC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 May 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1604692)   #19
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The manual says that RMC will be advised in a Bulletin at the track. The team list will still be published.
Old 10 May 2006, 03:23 (Ref:1604740)   #20
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember being on comms at winton for a weekend of the konicas, using dick smith cb radios for comms, and during a race, 2 kids got on the radio and where saying stuff like, : "come on billy lets hide over here" and crap like that.

thats where u need your own frequencies. nothing like a 5 year old yelling "reg flag red flag red flag"

lol
Old 12 May 2006, 02:11 (Ref:1606543)   #21
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukin
You should be able to download a manual somewhere on the net.

For anyone that does tune in, don't whinge about the language please!
Yeah that's half the fun. But apparently car 2 got fined for bad language in NZ.. That's the risk ch 10 takes isn't it? How do they expect someone not to swear at their speeds??????
Old 12 May 2006, 02:24 (Ref:1606547)   #22
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
That's why it's called a scanner. Even if they change it each round we'll still find the Race Control. Thats half the fun you go scanning mate, never know what you'll find! That's what I use to do before they started publishing them on the website.. You soon figured out who was who.
Old 12 May 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1606568)   #23
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to know all the frequencies for a particular area you can search at the ACMA website - http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/re...arch.main_page

Just change the Find field to site and enter the postcode in for the area you are looking for and hit search and you will get a series of sites, which you click on and it should tell you the frequencies transmitted.