Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 30 Jul 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1367823)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Motorsport News

This week's 50th birthday special has a very noticable difference to the usual addition, namely the quality of the paper it's printed on. This week they've gone for a glossy paper, still thin enough not to be magazine but enough to vastly improve the quality of the photographs.

I'm sure it's probably just a one-off but should this be a more permanent thing? No doubt there will be enevitable cost increase but I do think it improves the overall feel. Is this too much of a move towards a magazine format? Is getting your hands covered in ink part of the culture of MN?

Any thoughts?
Old 31 Jul 2005, 03:38 (Ref:1367920)   #2
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know - I gave up buying it in April, when they failed to have a report on the LMES race at Spa, yet devoted considerable space to the F3 races at the same meeting...... which were called off because of the fog. That was the last straw.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1368002)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it becomes a mag, will it not overlap even more with Autosport? In that case, since they are both owned by the same publisher, they might as well merge them and enlarge Autosport to provide the greater coverage of rallies and club reports of Motorsport News. Not sure this would be a good move since they would lose their MSN subscribers and those Autosport buyers who would be reluctant to pay the inevitable increase in price. Possibly the only people this would appeal to would be those who already buy both.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1368012)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddsc
I don't know - I gave up buying it in April, when they failed to have a report on the LMES race at Spa
I don't want to sidetrack this into a debate about content but I can't say I'm overly surprised by that. F1 and WRC aside do MN ever give any real coverage to any International series? It claims to be the voice of British motorsport so having a report about the British F3 Championship at Spa is exactly what they should be doing, even if the race was actually cancelled. If you want International coverage you'd be better of with Autosport..
Old 31 Jul 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1368033)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was surprised to get an email advertising MN last week. (I'm an Autoschueysport subscriber). The only time I ever buy MN is the week after Le Mans. Having said that, I forgot this year......
Old 31 Jul 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1368062)   #6
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iv read it most weeks since the early seventies and biased to club racing which coverage nowadays is rubbish.but theres a helluva lot more petrolhead sport nowadays than there was..seems wrong when theres a 4 line report on a cracking race and a half page pic of some plain old escy or something.dont you think someone there has a ginetta fettish at the moment?they get more of there fair share of ink.
having said that this weeks edition was excellent and nice to see a small pic on the renault ad with mick hills 5ts.stud boutique...
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1368639)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still buy Motorsport News, although more out of loyalty I think now than actual news and race reports. The Newspaper IMO needs to widen its scope a little and include more series, things like GP2 and the LMES and FIA GT championship for example. If they do this then perhaps more people would buy the newspaper. I too got the 50th anniversry edition and was very impressed, personally id like to see it continue as a newspaper though rather than a magazine.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1369138)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LMES, FIA GT, GP2 - not exactly British motorsport is it!!??

I think MN is by far the best weekly out of the three I read (MN, Autosport and Autosprint). Better quality editorial and less speculative than the other two. \

However if you are into your sportscar racing and you are even slightly interested in the cars themselves (or if you have ever looked at mulsannes corner) then you should try Racecar Engineering.

I like TRC too - some good cars in that.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1369258)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I get MN on a regualr basis but gave up on autosport a fair while ago, MN just seems to cover the national stuff so much better. Not sure about the new shiny paper though - photo quality was obviously better but it did feel like one of those cheap n cheerful TV listings mags full of 'celebrity' gossip. (also wouldn't be as good as emergency bog roll as the old version!)

(As Sam mentions TRC is also a good read, they seem to cover a wide range of the 'lower' levels of racing and have good features on individual cars and series).
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1369597)   #10
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T&RC is a fun read - and has introduced me to a lot of very interesting cars! I didn't like the way CCC went a bit "Max Power" towards the end of its days and was chuffed when T&RC appeared and was very much like "classic era" CCC!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1369613)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What I like about MN is smaller pictures and plenty of words. I never read the race reports anyway - by their very nature they're subjective. Some of the articles are excellent, and two pages is plenty on a GP - and the writing's funny, intelligent and questioning. They don't just recycle F1 press releases.

I gave up my Autosprout subscription because in a 6 page article there's be 5.5 pages of pictures and 0.5 page of words.

MN's got some good writers and I like the spread of genuine club-level writing. To AS, a club race is the British GT champs!

No, MN isn't perfect but then you can't please all the people all the time - motorsport has such a wide following.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1387135)   #12
jamesl
Racer

jamesl has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is TRC a weekly or monthly read?
When is it out next and can you get it from WH Smiths?
This sounds like its worth a read.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1388087)   #13
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track & Race Cars is monthly - I don't buy it every month but it's on sale on the high street (I normally find it in my local Border's, which has a better magazine selection than WHS).