Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Aug 2002, 07:13 (Ref:362690)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New British team confirmed for Rockingham

From CART-Racing.com

Dubbed ‘Team St George’ a British based project has been given the go-ahead to join the CART FedEx championship in time for the Rockingham 500, which takes place on 13/14th September, it was officially announced this evening.

The team, which has been making plans since July, will run the Lola Ford Cosworth package, as used by both Team Rahal and Herdez Competition, and will be run by the experienced Ray Mallock Team in conjunction with team members from Dale Coyne Racing. No driver announcement is expected before the end of the week, when further plans and the livery of the car will be unveiled.

"I can confirm that we´ve got the agreement in place to set up a single car team, but we won´t be able to announce all the details, such as driver choice, before the end of this week" said David Grace, CEO of Rockingham. "We´ve got some very talented British drivers who are keen to take up this challenge, to beat the Americans on our home ground - our job now is to deliver the car and team to give them a chance of victory.”

Given the standard set by the likes of Target Chip Ganassi Racing, Team Players, not to mention Newman/Haas Racing, it will be a tough task, but given the enthusiasm for the projects, we here at CART-Racing would like to welcome the team and wish them luck in their debut outing at Rockingham.

Drivers, including rising stars of the ASCAR oval racing series in Britain, Darren Manning and Darren Turner, have been linked with the team. Another potential driver is former Formula One and Le Mans driver Johnny Herbert who tested a Lola ChampCar at Rockingham last year for Dale Coyne and CART.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:01 (Ref:362733)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news
Fantastic, one more car on the grid, even if only a one off is still good news.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:51 (Ref:362759)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I expect Johnny Herbert to be filling one car, if the race doesn't clash with any of his other commitments.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:53 (Ref:362760)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder what color they'll paint it?
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:53 (Ref:362763)   #5
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe nige will get the nod for a seat
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:58 (Ref:362771)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nige couldn't fit his fat ass in the cockpit!!!
Old 21 Aug 2002, 13:07 (Ref:362932)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: New British team confirmed for Rockingham

Quote:
Originally posted by MolsonBoy
From CART-Racing.com

...to beat the Americans on our home ground...
Are they satisfied with just beating Jimmy Vasser and Michael Andretti then?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Aug 2002, 17:36 (Ref:363071)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point Jay! Actually, this is a terrific announcement. I hope they do well as it may encourage them and others to join the series on a permanent basis.

Didn't Mansell "fit his fat ass" into the cockpit for a pre-race publicity stunt last year?

I want to see Herbert in the car.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 18:04 (Ref:363091)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The field at next month's CART race on the Rockingham oval will be boosted by the appearance of Team St. George, which is set to run a British driver in its sole car.

After months of speculation, bosses at the Corby track have finally confirmed that a Lola-Cosworth run by Ray Mallock Ltd will take to the grid for the September 14 race. The team is being helped by dormant Champ Car entrant Dale Coyne Racing, which has updated the Lola to '2002-spec'.

The identity of the driver has yet to be confirmed, but Rockingham boss David Grace says that it will be a Brit.

"We have some talented British drivers who are keen to take up the challenge," he said. "Our job is to deliver the car and team to give them a chance of victory."

Drivers linked with the team included Johnny Herbert, Darren Turner and Darren Manning. Manning has actively pursued the drive in recent weeks as he believes it could be a chance to impress CART bosses and put himself in the shop window for a 2003 seat.

"It would be a fantastic opportunity and I'm confident I could do a good job," he told AUTOSPORT. "I'm not worried about a lack of track time. After all, it's only a 20-second lap."

The full story appears in this week's AUTOSPORT magazine, which is on sale tomorrow (Thursday August 22)

www.autosport.com

Good news to see an extra car. SHame its not the 3 cars as originally planned.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 18:19 (Ref:363099)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
"I'm not worried about a lack of track time. After all, it's only a 20-second lap."
I'm not saying he isn't a very good driver, but that statement alone shows his lack of experience on oval tracks. Although a lap may only be 20 seconds, you have to know every single centimeter of an oval track to do well on it. It's not like a road course where you only need to know the flow of the track, where you break, where you hit the throttle. For an oval you need to know every single bump so you know where you can go, where you can't go and what kind of moves you can pull.

Ovals aren't hard to race on, but they do command more respect than that.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Aug 2002, 19:55 (Ref:363162)   #11
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darren Manning does know every part lof the track. He probably has had more track time than all the CART drivers put together, thanx to his ASCAR racing.

Yes it will be different at a faster speed, but I think he can handle it, should be get the seat.

Last edited by Speedworx; 21 Aug 2002 at 19:56.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 00:10 (Ref:363309)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
One day I'll learn how to import articles to here but in the mean time look at CART.com. It looks as though Coyne is trying to finalize a deal with Herbert and said something to the effect that Rockinham is the first domino to fall as they look toward next years season. Good news!!!
Old 22 Aug 2002, 00:55 (Ref:363328)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding Johnny Herbert, I read that he isn't interested - I am pretty sure that is the case, hopefully I am proved wrong.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 08:16 (Ref:363466)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I question the wisdom of hiring a British driver. They have a tendancy to drive on the wrong side of the road.

This could be great news if they truly do plan on campaigning a full season in 03.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 09:00 (Ref:363480)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If its Mallock then why not use Minassian? he was'nt that bad before - on the same level as Junquiera, and hes pretty highly rated now.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 09:45 (Ref:363498)   #16
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minassian? Team St George requires a British driver. Am I missing something?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 10:12 (Ref:363513)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah but hes an honorary brit - gave up racing in France to come here (and chuck gravel at Micheal Bentwood - classic!!) and then he returned here after his Cart drive went sour (unjustly!)rather than go back to France.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 10:45 (Ref:363537)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing it will be Mark Blundell. He's had the most recent experience of the track and is very good, although a bit removed from the racing scene at present.

Herbert won't do it. Herbert has enough to do with Audi.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 12:47 (Ref:363625)   #19
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Liz,

Blundell is indeed a very possible name, but - and I do not know the reasons - he did not leave many friends in the CART paddock.

If you ask team owners and engineers what English drivers they would call for a seat, Mark's name is seldom mentioned. Only when you say "What about Blundell?" is that you get a rather non-chalant answer "Oh, yes, there is him too..."

Again, I do not know the details, but I find interesting that so many people show the same reaction.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 17:14 (Ref:363766)   #20
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
How easily we forget. Blundell's name never entered my mind until I saw it on the front page. He's an obvious candidate and I would like to see him run again. My guess however is that Coyne, if truly considering a team next season, will either go with Herbert if he can sign him or bring up a driver with potential longevity. Blundell doesn't fit that bill.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 17:51 (Ref:363795)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Probably right that Darren MAnning would be best for the long term... if they do want to run him in a car next year that is...