Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Apr 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3388661)   #4026
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi have used a lithium ion batter as the main power source for their LMP1 cars since 2009 if I remember correctly. That decision was driven by weight/packaging and power density, much like the use of LED and Laserlight systems.

Not exactly new technology even for LMP1 cars, and most hybrid road cars use them extensively as well, and also the Tesla Roadster.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3388672)   #4027
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
What is the electric motor power? Should be at least 200 kW, or not?
According to http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...turesandspecs/ the front MGU produces over 250 hp (= 184 kW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
For 200 kW, the individual cells only (without the housing, BMS, inverter, cooling) would weight 74 kg, that is a lot. And the whole capacity of the pack would be around 4,4 kWh (15 MJ).
That means you are using 2.7 kW/kg as power density. As explained in this post, A123 has developed battery technical for F1 that achieves a much higher power density.
Quote:
Specifically, Mercedes-Benz HPE commissioned A123 to develop a cell with a power density of about 9,300 watts-per-kilogram (W/kg) while maintaining an energy density of 44 watt-hours-per-kilogram (Wh/kg). The increased power capability would enable Mercedes-Benz HPE to deploy fewer battery cells in its KERS design to maximize performance while minimizing weight.

However, A123’s cells could only produce about 4,300 W/kg, so to meet the KERS specifications and amplify rate capabilities, A123 modified several aspects of its existing cell design. This included increasing thermal, electrical and ionic conductivity within the electrode stack and terminal hardware. The resulting cell met the power density and energy density requirements for the Mercedes-Benz HPE KERS. But just six months before the first race of the 2009 F1 season, Mercedes-Benz HPE made changes to the design of its KERS that would require A123 to engineer a completely new battery cell.

“The motor in our F1 engine ran at a higher voltage than the KERS battery pack, so in our initial design, we implemented a DC-to-DC converter to boost the voltage of the battery pack. However, we determined that this was unnecessarily complex and we should be able to run the motor directly from the voltage produced by the battery pack,” said Cowell. “Our new concept required a battery with lower capacity, and we would simply deploy more of them in series. We needed a complete redesign to meet the new capacity and system voltage parameters, all while making sure the increased number of cells did not significantly add to the weight of the car.”

The initial cells that A123 provided to Mercedes-Benz HPE met the original KERS criteria, but they were optimized for a lower voltage. Working closely with Mercedes-Benz HPE to understand the new KERS system, A123 designed, developed and manufactured a completely new battery, delivering it to Mercedes-Benz HPE well ahead of the first race of the F1 season. For its new design, A123 decreased the mass of its existing cell by about 48 percent while increasing the rate capability by about 14 percent. This enabled the KERS system to operate at the desired voltage while providing Mercedes-Benz HPE with increased power density capabilities— the new cells were capable of producing more than 20,000 W/kg for pulses lasting for multiple seconds and more than 40,000 W/kg for millisecond pulse applications. The new batteries also decreased the weight of the KERS system to about 26kg, which is believed to be lighter than competing KERS designs.
source: http://info.a123systems.com/customer...mance-engines/

With those specs the battery will only weigh 184 kW / 9.3 kW/kg = 20 kg and have a capacity of 44 Wh/kg * 20 kg = 880 Wh = 3.2 MJ.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 17:45 (Ref:3388754)   #4028
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks, great achievement by the A123, I found the original source of this:
http://www.google.si/url?sa=t&rct=j&...ErvSQTwoMEtHSQ
Old 4 Apr 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3388774)   #4029
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
If you fill in some fake info, you could also download it from my link

Or http://www.a123systems.com/baef9f26-...f/download.htm

Last edited by gwyllion; 4 Apr 2014 at 20:59.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3388786)   #4030
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The May 2014 edition of Racecar Engineering has an article on the 919:
Thanks for the RE article info and highlighted quotes.

I had been adamant on Mulsannes Corner's FB page weeks ago that the 919 would NOT be using coil springs given that most everyone today uses torsion springs. That the renderings that they showed hid the real suspension setup. So I will eat my words on that one.

I was somewhat right in that they didn't show all of the details in the renderings. I just knew the suspension had to be linked at least left to right on the front which is not shown. They didn't even include roll bars let alone third spring!

Your quote from the RE article doesn't outright say they would prefer torsion, but it heavily hints that because they froze the suspension design early, it was a case of not having time to do a torsion design. I understand the idea around freezing the design early, but I would have thought that they would have settled on a basic architecture (pushrod, torsion, interlinked) and then performed the basic engineering work. You can always continue to polish the design, slight geometry changes here and there, etc. At some point you freeze the basic design and hard points so the tub can be built. But I can't see them starting coil and then thinking they would switch to torsion later? I still find it all a bit odd.

Otherwise I think everyone was spot on regarding why a V4 instead of an I4. More compact and easier to use as a structural member.

Richard
Old 4 Apr 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3388822)   #4031
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you going to COTA?
Old 4 Apr 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3388831)   #4032
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
According to http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...turesandspecs/ the front MGU produces over 250 hp (= 184 kW).

That means you are using 2.7 kW/kg as power density. As explained in this post, A123 has developed battery technical for F1 that achieves a much higher power density.
source: http://info.a123systems.com/customer...mance-engines/

With those specs the battery will only weigh 184 kW / 9.3 kW/kg = 20 kg and have a capacity of 44 Wh/kg * 20 kg = 880 Wh = 3.2 MJ.
Pretty good weight for those batteries. Wonder what the total weight for their kers system will be.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 04:55 (Ref:3388886)   #4033
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Thanks for the RE article info and highlighted quotes.

I had been adamant on Mulsannes Corner's FB page weeks ago that the 919 would NOT be using coil springs given that most everyone today uses torsion springs. That the renderings that they showed hid the real suspension setup. So I will eat my words on that one.

I was somewhat right in that they didn't show all of the details in the renderings. I just knew the suspension had to be linked at least left to right on the front which is not shown. They didn't even include roll bars let alone third spring!

Your quote from the RE article doesn't outright say they would prefer torsion, but it heavily hints that because they froze the suspension design early, it was a case of not having time to do a torsion design. I understand the idea around freezing the design early, but I would have thought that they would have settled on a basic architecture (pushrod, torsion, interlinked) and then performed the basic engineering work. You can always continue to polish the design, slight geometry changes here and there, etc. At some point you freeze the basic design and hard points so the tub can be built. But I can't see them starting coil and then thinking they would switch to torsion later? I still find it all a bit odd.

Otherwise I think everyone was spot on regarding why a V4 instead of an I4. More compact and easier to use as a structural member.

Richard
Remember that there will be an almost new 2015 car.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 10:15 (Ref:3390120)   #4034
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
1250bhp!!!
https://twitter.com/F1Photographer/s...79757459296256
Old 8 Apr 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3390138)   #4035
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
But as always, no mention of how long those 1250 bhp are available. But we all know, the more horsies a car has, the shorter the time is they can use it.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3390156)   #4036
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Isn't electric motor rated only at 250 HP? Is that 2.0 Turbo producing 1000 HP alone?

I think all those numbers are irrelevant when you add fuel flow restriction. If the BSFC numbers circling around here are true, then we can calculate:

Petrol: 89,000 g/h / 220 g/kw*h = 404 kW
Diesel: 80,200 g/h / 195 g/kw*h = 411 kW

The engines are therefore restricted to around 550 HP, they are all a bit oversized to produce better fuel economy.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3390163)   #4037
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
But as always, no mention of how long those 1250 bhp are available. But we all know, the more horsies a car has, the shorter the time is they can use it.
I doubt this figure has any truth to it. The ICE alone is supposed to develop a peak power output of the order of 400 kW (as mentioned by GasperG), i.e. approx. 535 BHP (Porsche indicate an ICE power of more than 500 BHP). The MGU is reported by Porsche to have a power of 250 BHP (source: Porsche 919 Hybrid specs). That at best leads to a combined power output of less than 800 BHP.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3390177)   #4038
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably just a way to respond to Toyotas 1000hp claim. As you say, no one can know for certain just how much power these cars will have, and how much they could have, had they not been running the fuel flow restrictor. Just PR BS
Old 8 Apr 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3390208)   #4039
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
I doubt this figure has any truth to it. The ICE alone is supposed to develop a peak power output of the order of 400 kW (as mentioned by GasperG), i.e. approx. 535 BHP (Porsche indicate an ICE power of more than 500 BHP). The MGU is reported by Porsche to have a power of 250 BHP (source: Porsche 919 Hybrid specs). That at best leads to a combined power output of less than 800 BHP.
To be fair, Porsche report the MGU to have > 250HP
They use the > sign for the engine output, the MGU and the top speed.
However, this is not to say that the 1,250hp is reality.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3390269)   #4040
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Because Anthony Davidson knows all things Porsche? Again how does a quote from someone not in the program mean really anything?

Why doesn't he tell us how much power is available in the Toyota? Something I'm sure he's more familiar with?
Old 8 Apr 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3390311)   #4041
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
1250hp? Maybe with 8mj and a bigger output electric motor at full power, but Im guessing 850hp is much more likely.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3390835)   #4042
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Ricard video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zyf2W1aOWs
Old 12 Apr 2014, 05:51 (Ref:3391387)   #4043
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
For those in the UK Mobile 1 the grid featured a piece on porsches return to lmp1, will be repeated on channel 4 plus 1 at 7.30, first feature.
Be warned there are some unforgivable comments from both Mr Webber and a certain ex friend of sportscar racing about the feeder series being more important.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3392101)   #4044
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
^ http://www.grid1.tv/motorsport/artic...1-2014-preview
Old 14 Apr 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3392499)   #4045
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Nice interview from Neel Jani: http://www.speedchills.com/home/spee...es-of-a-legend
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3392560)   #4046
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Porsche doing a 24 Hours of Le Mans exhibit at their museum. Free entrance during the 24 Hours of Le Mans. (not going then...)

Not nice. I hoped they would bring some old Le Mans stuff to the village during race week, but apparently they keep it at home...

http://www.petrolicious.com/new-24-h...-is-a-must-see
Old 15 Apr 2014, 06:29 (Ref:3392639)   #4047
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Porsche doing a 24 Hours of Le Mans exhibit at their museum. Free entrance during the 24 Hours of Le Mans. (not going then...)

Not nice. I hoped they would bring some old Le Mans stuff to the village during race week, but apparently they keep it at home...

http://www.petrolicious.com/new-24-h...-is-a-must-see
Who ever thought of that at porsche is obviously not really thinking about it unless they are also showing full live coverage of the race for those fans unable to travel to France and those staff stuck in Germany.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 07:11 (Ref:3392651)   #4048
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Who ever thought of that at porsche is obviously not really thinking about it unless they are also showing full live coverage of the race for those fans unable to travel to France and those staff stuck in Germany.
They are:
Quote:
Visitors will be able to watch the long-distance race on multiple screens in and around the museum.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3392654)   #4049
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
That makes sense
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3392677)   #4050
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should pull in a few locals but you wouldn't travel there especially - certainly not when you could actually go to the race. I think there will still be quite a few historic Porsches knocking around at Le Mans.