Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Mar 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2422111)   #76
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Interesting perception... but slightly less interesting scenario is that restrictors will be adjusted as the development goes on, so the figures will never get near 600. I'm worried about the "power-grip" ratio (spectacle), especially as weight and tyre sizes will remain same.
520bhp is just a generic 'P2' value, these engines already produce over 550bhp, just as P1 motors produce well over the ACO's 'target'.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2422270)   #77
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
All of the discussion with Scott Atherton and others during the Speed TV coverage of Sebring seemed to be saying that the Panoz return to LMP1 was an unfounded rumor. Did anyone else also get that impression?

DK
I dunno, they did have Don Panoz on with about 3:30 left, and he basically stated that they were trying to do something completely new. He didn't comment on the specifics of whether it was a coupe, or whether it was rear engined, or even if it was for P1.

But something definitely is happening.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2422515)   #78
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Perhaps Panoz Abruzzi GT2?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2422549)   #79
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT View Post
I think we beat the Audis 4 or 5 times. Not many cars have done that since.
I am aware of that , I was just mentioning that the Panoz was only beaten by Audi & BMW ..... I was bloody ****ed off when they decided to leave ALMS ..... thats why in really delighted to hear about their return .
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2422627)   #80
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz was certainly one of the, if not THE best private constructors. His return would definately be welcome, and who knows if Audi and Pug pulls the plug, Panoz should be in with a very good chance at the big one.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2422771)   #81
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
I dunno, they did have Don Panoz on with about 3:30 left, and he basically stated that they were trying to do something completely new. He didn't comment on the specifics of whether it was a coupe, or whether it was rear engined, or even if it was for P1.

But something definitely is happening.
That's actually not what he said at all. He said they were thinking about returning and really wanted to, but they always really wanted to. He went on to say that they needed an idea for something really different that they thought would also work, and he felt they'd stumbled upon one. That's it. The 'program' is still just a notion in his head. Scott Atherton and Don both implied that they had been surprised that the rumour had gained the traction it had, given the underlying nature of the situation.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2422784)   #82
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
That's actually not what he said at all. He said they were thinking about returning and really wanted to, but they always really wanted to. He went on to say that they needed an idea for something really different that they thought would also work, and he felt they'd stumbled upon one. That's it. The 'program' is still just a notion in his head. Scott Atherton and Don both implied that they had been surprised that the rumour had gained the traction it had, given the underlying nature of the situation.
Quote:
Panoz refused to be drawn in on the timing of the car’s debut, but it is understood that it could race as early as this season, perhaps at the season finale at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in October.
Well, if they believe it could race already this year, then it must be more than something in his head!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2422790)   #83
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the news certainly makes me happy.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2422791)   #84
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Well, if they believe it could race already this year, then it must be more than something in his head!
Perhaps that debut date is something in the head of the Autoweek reporter It is very strange that rumor/article appeared nowhere except on autoweek.com.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2422798)   #85
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Perhaps that debut date is something in the head of the Autoweek reporter It is very strange that rumor/article appeared nowhere except on autoweek.com.
The story was in the print edition of Autosport on Thursday AM. Autoweek often follow these up with on line versions, I think that is what happened here.

All the quotes were there including the odd "...have you ever seen a cart pushing a horse?” & "...butanol made from algae"

BTW Autosport were more specific about the powerplant saying "C6.R GT1 engine"

Mariantic
Old 23 Mar 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2422815)   #86
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If all this so-called accurate detail was something actually accurate that Don wanted in the public domain and had told a reporter, you would think that he would not have been so unspecific and downplaying when actually talking live on Speed. I'm just saying...

If there is an intention to have a car racing by October, then the design of the car has to be well-along (see the design timescales of recent cars by Audi, Porsche and BMW). If it was, it would doubtless be at EMT, and if that was the case, you would think that a) EMT would not have been laying off people left, right and center and b) Scott Atherton would not have been surprised by what he read in the media.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2422980)   #87
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic View Post

BTW Autosport were more specific about the powerplant saying "C6.R GT1 engine"

Mariantic
This makes a lot more sense now. However 2011 rules don't mesh with this idea. I say the ACO should forget about 2011 rules and keep the current rules. Audi/Peugeot (and the Panoz rumor) wouldn't work with 2011 rules.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2423002)   #88
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster View Post
I say the ACO should forget about 2011 rules and keep the current rules. Audi/Peugeot (and the Panoz rumor) wouldn't work with 2011 rules.
Peugeot is already working on a hybrid car for the new rules. See http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...ew-hybrid.html
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2423104)   #89
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Transcript of Don's interview with SPEED.

Quote:
We would not be here if it weren't for our next guest, Dr. Don Panoz, founder of the American Le Mans Series. Don, always great to have you here, your annual visit to the SPEED booth, and, uh, have you enjoyed your day?

Ah yes, it's been a great day, you know, uh, and again you know my old expression, all your birthdays are coming at once *chuckles* and uh, our hundredth in race the ALMS, 57 years at Sebring, a beautiful day, a great crowd, and uh, some exciting racing which you guys have been describing quite aptly.

We were saying that you were uh, we were talking about the spirit of sports car racing, and the spirit of Le Mans, and the spirit of Sebring, when did you catch the bug?

When I first went to Le Mans, the first year in '97 (missed some) you know, one jumps ahead, and the other gets the bit between his teeth. I saw that pass that McNish made...

Pretty good, huh

... fantastic. And you know, the fans out there must ahve really love d that, but uh It's hard to call it because they're both very professional teams, they spent a lot of money developing their cars, they've developed great technology, Audi's come with a new car this year. And, you know, that's one of the amazing stories that come with a new ca, and its the same kind of competition we had all through the season last year.

Speaking of cars and one that carries your name, the Panoz Esperante in GT2 is still running very very well, it’s currently 3rd in class with Ian James behind the wheel there could be another Panoz on the podium at Sebring

Well, that would be great; we take those podiums any time we can get them. And uh, Tom Milner and his team is doing a great job. I've noticed, and I feel a little sorry, that Dyson's first Mazdas out there, the Mazda Lolas, that he's dropped out. You know it’s hard at the first race at Sebring to come out of the box and do well. I remember out first year here, we came out on the track first time out and set a track record. Then we got into the race and on the third lap we broke all of our electronics.
So, you know, Sebring has its own way with you.

It's definitely a great test bed, and you've maintained your presence in GT2 Don but there's been a lot of speculation here in recent weeks about when you're going to get back in that prototype category, is there any plans?

Well, uh, I was asked that several times today, I don't know why. but any way, uh I was explaining that when you've raced P1, you always think about it and uh, Panoz we have a bit of a history, we were the first with the front engine, then we did Sparky, the hybrid, and the Esperante seems to be holding on, and you've gotta remember that the Esperante is going on seven years old, and its still competing very well. So, we fantasize on getting back in, but for Panoz to do that with the marque that we have, and the sound of our car, and the front-engine, it has to be something that's a little bit different, so I won't deny that we haven't been fantasizing over the last few months about what could be different, we think that we've got a handle on something that if we can work it out would be very good for us, it'd be very good for the sport, it's be good for Le Mans. And, I have to say, yeah, we are thinking about it, and yes, we have some ideas, and if we could and if we could figure out how to make these work and get them confirmed we probably will.

That's fantastic news. I'm sure everyone out there listening is uh, pretty "chuffed" to hear that. Well we would love to see the Panoz name back in LMP1 Don, thoughts about that and other new cars in that category, your thoughts on the Acura.

Well, uh, again, its their first race of the season as an LMP 1, that have done a tremendous job with that car, I think Sebring probably out of the box is a tough test for them because of the long straights uh, they came out very innovatively with the front tires.

I've got one for you Don, how about front engined, and put the rear tires on the front and put the front tires on the back. (Speed staff cracks up)

Hey, that might be something good! Now I haven't fantasized about that one I'll certainly sleep on that one tonight, that's a good one Cal, good one.

Well, here we have our man out in front, Tom Kristensen, Don he's the greatest at Le Mans, what would your feelings be if he's the greatest here at your race track here at Sebring at the end of today.

I would say he deserves it. He's uh, always been a tough competitor, very consistent, and he knows how to collect the trophies.

Who has impressed you the most over the ten years of the American Le Mans Series 100 races in terms of sports car races and this man, eight victories at Le Mans, four here at Sebring, but, if you were to put your ultimate team together, and you had three guys that you could go out there from the current breed and put in the car who would it be?

Uh, J.J. Lehto, Alan McNish, and David Brabham.

There you go, that would be a great team. We miss J.J. a lot

Yeah, he's the best driver in traffic I've ever seen. Just always seems to do it so smoothly.

You came up with that answer pretty quick Don, have the phone calls gone out?

No, I haven't made any phone calls, but uh, it's not hard if somebody says "what's your wishlist" cause they're great drivers, really good, I mean you could make three teams out of the drivers Audi's had and they'd be at the top of the chart. And you know, look at some of these new guys. Sebastian Bourdais, he won for us in 2006, and uh what a great guy he is. You know, there's so many great ones out there. But if I was looking for the team and I said those guys, I'd say that really for being cerebral and being a great driver you've gotta give it to David Brabham and Alan McNish, too. Alan McNish gets the bit between his teeth better than anybody. And then J.J. is probably the greatest traffic driver I've ever seen.

Well listen we know there are many demands on your time, on Sebring week so thank you for stopping by, good to see you haven't lost your accent with all those months in Australia.

Yeah, well goodday, mate! And I'm trying... anyway, thank you guys for having me, and uh, to all the fans out there congratulations on our 100th race in the ALMS, you've made it possible, thank you very much.

There he is, the founder of the American Le Mans Series, Dr. Don Panoz, and if you didn't pick it up, he said they're thinking about re-entering LMP1, great news!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2423120)   #90
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks a lot Cuttlefish!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2425083)   #91
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed not very specific on any details...
Let's hope the idea's will materialise in a new Panoz racecar.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2425148)   #92
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Murphy believes the car will never materialize.
Quote:
The LMP1 daydream started last year. After the “Doodling with Don” exercises recently reported in a forum, a “project manager” was hired, fumbled along for a while, then was gone. Then came the layoffs some say gutted the ability to build a Soap Box Racer, say nothing of a Le Mans Prototype. None-the-less, another project manager – a draftsman – is on board. For now, the most likely product of this project may be a picture of a car. Besides – and this is the Bear’s own thought – is this the best use of a few million dollars in a tough year for the ALMS?
source: http://murphythebear.com/blog/index....bring-stories/

I tend to agree. The timing is just terrible: current economic crisis + rule change in 2011.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2427304)   #93
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
So , are you saying that Don Panoz is talking outta his ass ?
One word - Abruzzi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
And my guess will be that we will se something truly different, but very loyal to old type of Prototype design!
Think the GRID GTP stepped on...
Old 29 Mar 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2428172)   #94
td2001
Rookie

td2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, given all of the clues, dong things the Panoz way, chevy engine, want it out this year etc, I think Don must have done a deal with Pratt & Miller and bought the design and parts of the Corvette LMP1?
Old 29 Mar 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2428394)   #95
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by td2001 View Post
Well, given all of the clues, dong things the Panoz way, chevy engine, want it out this year etc, I think Don must have done a deal with Pratt & Miller and bought the design and parts of the Corvette LMP1?
Now that would be very interesing! A longshot,but it really makes my mouth water..

Are there any details on the development status of this stillborn Chevy LMP1 ?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2429179)   #96
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by td2001 View Post
Murphy tells me he agrees that's a very strong possibility. But should it be in the past tense? Or is it still in the planning "for the right price?" (See today's financial pages.)

It still begs the question: Given the state of the series, is this the best way to spend money?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2429183)   #97
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
The drawing that Dr P showed me looked nothing like a Corvette by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2429201)   #98
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Murphy tells me he agrees that's a very strong possibility. But should it be in the past tense? Or is it still in the planning "for the right price?" (See today's financial pages.)

It still begs the question: Given the state of the series, is this the best way to spend money?
Let's just speculate:
Acura says "we need some competition in 2010 else we are outta here"
Audi says "we have to wait and see, can't promise anything right now"
Panoz says: "Listen up, Acura, I'll provide you with some credible competition."

If all of these three are true - I don't say that they are - he's stopping the total collapse of the LMP-category, which is probably the most important issue for ALMS at the moment.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2429211)   #99
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Acura isn't going anywhere...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2429214)   #100
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Let's just speculate:
Acura says "we need some competition in 2010 else we are outta here"
Audi says "we have to wait and see, can't promise anything right now"
Panoz says: "Listen up, Acura, I'll provide you with some credible competition."

If all of these three are true - I don't say that they are - he's stopping the total collapse of the LMP-category, which is probably the most important issue for ALMS at the moment.
Would spending Ten Million plus (for two cars) provide any greater competition, than providing the same funds as prize money in LMP1? You might think that there would be some interested parties trying to get their hands on that money, wouldn't you? In addition, these monies could see cars on the grid sooner.