Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3426723)   #4526
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would please me if you were right.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3426728)   #4527
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post

the all conquering 917 was a first year flop, the Spyder was a first year flop

Not to jump on you but to call the 917 and the Spyder (9R6) first year flops is a bit of a stretch. Most know that the 917 suffered early-on from some evil handling traits. Mechanically there were some teething issues but it showed pace from the onset. I was all over the 9R6 at its debut and it faired quite well. Yes, it too had teething issues but again I wouldn't call it a "first year flop". I guess I am a half full kind of guy
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3426738)   #4528
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V4 block is extremely strong, so if the vibrations are kept in check, power is not an issue.

Alteenativelly, they could use a modified 918's 4.6 V8 engine - it's very light and compact, has DFI and makes 610 hp in street spec. In fact, I'd like to see a GTE 918 but that's not going to happen, sadly.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3426745)   #4529
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Alteenativelly, they could use a modified 918's 4.6 V8 engine - it's very light and compact, has DFI and makes 610 hp in street spec. In fact, I'd like to see a GTE 918 but that's not going to happen, sadly.
That is an engine based on the "old" RS Spyder 's V8. Outdated.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3426754)   #4530
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
That is an engine based on the "old" RS Spyder 's V8. Outdated.
it's based on the experience gained from the RS Spyder engine. It's NOT an enlarged Spyder V8. It's a completely new engine, done by the same guys and gals responsible for the RS Spyder's powerplant.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3426763)   #4531
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
it's based on the experience gained from the RS Spyder engine. It's NOT an enlarged Spyder V8. It's a completely new engine, done by the same guys and gals responsible for the RS Spyder's powerplant.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
The engine is built on the same architecture as the one used in the RS Spyder Le Mans Prototype racing car without any engine belts.

"The 918 Spyder is also named after the RS Spyder. Its V8 engine provided the basis for the combustion engine in the high performance hybrid". - Porsche

Last edited by Spyderman; 26 Jun 2014 at 13:27.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 14:06 (Ref:3426790)   #4532
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I think that Baretzky will want to design a proper modern race engine: small displacement, direct injection, VGT turbo or F1 style turbo with MGU-H, maybe "hot side inside", ...

Instead of starting from that old school V8 designed by an external supplier (Neil Brown Engineering).
small displacement......hmmm......that means more revs , which equates to higher friction and greater fuel consumption.........it wouldnt surprise me to see porsche enlarge the capacity of their 2.0L V4 to something like 2.2 or 2.5L in an attempt to bring the rpm down and save on fuel consumption.......the rumour doing the rounds is the AER V6 is between 3 and 4 litres, which will be very favourable for low rpm and low fuel consumption for a non hybrid car.......I think some teams already realize that 1.6L style F1 engine has no place in LMP1 racing as its fuel consumption will be too high due to high revs......but never say never, if Ferrari rock up with a 1.6L V6 LMP1 program, i'm sure the ACO will bend over backwards to make it competitive in terms of performance and fuel economy.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3426792)   #4533
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
that is not true. Read Frank Walliser(head of 918 project) interview for details.

918 engine is completely new.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3426796)   #4534
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Download the PDF directly from the Porsche site:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/918/918-spyder/

The engine was reconfigured and redeveloped, but the basis is the same.

Here is Walliser talking about a "race bred engine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qvpgaMnIZU

Last edited by Spyderman; 26 Jun 2014 at 14:29.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3426797)   #4535
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Download the PDF directly from the Porsche site:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/918/918-spyder/

The engine was reconfigured and redeveloped, but the basis is the same.

That is just Porsche trying to cash in on motorsport success. The 918 uses a completely new V8 that has been designed with RS Spyder's lessons in mind. Block is new.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3426811)   #4536
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Right...back to the LMP1.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3426816)   #4537
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
small displacement......hmmm......that means more revs , which equates to higher friction and greater fuel consumption.........it wouldnt surprise me to see porsche enlarge the capacity of their 2.0L V4 to something like 2.2 or 2.5L in an attempt to bring the rpm down and save on fuel consumption...
Question Knighty: Will increasing the capacity of the 2.0L V4 to say 2.5L result in increased bore and thus heavier pistons? Will this not have an impact on the vibrations in a V4?

- Mods: Please feel free to move this to the Porsche thread.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3426824)   #4538
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If porsche can't solve the vibrations issues, I guess they will be forced to use a V6 block if they want to increase displacement.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 15:16 (Ref:3426827)   #4539
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I think they have resolved the vibration issues at the current format. Will an increase in capacity cause the resurgence of the issue?
Old 26 Jun 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3426828)   #4540
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really it depends how they increase the capacity, they could use bore, or stroke or more likley a combination of both...... for the increased stroke aspect, to keep the piston side loadings sensible, and therefore friction low, they will also need to increase the deck height of the cylinder block, but we are only talking about 3-5mm or so here and there, added onto the bore or stroke.....not 20mm.

As the engine is a 4-cylinder turbo, the boys from Porsche would know up-front that the thermal management of the piston is a huge factor for durability, so they are probably using a gallery cooled piston, that has an insane amount of oil squirted at it on the underside, with a nice jet of oil that is squirted directly at the entrance of the pistons cooling gallery.......traditionally a gallery cooled piston is not light, also as the engine is not particularly high revving a sub 200gram F1 style piston really is just a waste of time.........my suspicion is they are using a 2-piece steel piston with an internal oil gallery cooling channel.......generally speaking for this style of gallery cooled piston, more oil is squirted at them than is consumed by the rest of the entire oil system - they drink hard!.......but the net result is a nice cool piston that goes the distance.

yes the weight of the rotating and reciprocating parts will have an impact upon the torsional resonant frequencies generated at the crankshaft, so they would need to re-study the effects of this and adjust where appropriate........I understand Porsche are now expert at this, so probably already have a well tuned Anysis FE model that they could start to play different tunes with
Old 26 Jun 2014, 15:47 (Ref:3426833)   #4541
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Thanks Knighty.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3426839)   #4542
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
A pleasure!......thinking a bit further outside the engine, I can imagine the engine has literally no "fat" baked into it, its a bespoke 2.0L item trimmed to minimum size and weight........therefore 2-5mm changes to bore and stroke will impact the engine length and crank height in the chassis, so then you will need a new bell housing, and dare I say a new gearbox with a higher input shaft.......so then all of a sudden a few 3-5mm changes here and there means a whole new rear end of the car, but lets be honest, this is the Porsche-LMP1 works team, they will not blink at the cost or timing of such changes, this will be considered as ongoing development, all in the cause of winning......unlike a privateer team, who would probably feint at the mere talk of such changes!
Old 26 Jun 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3426848)   #4543
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Here are some of the job openings for the LMP1 project. They may give some indication of what is afoot.
http://content2.us.porsche.com/prod/...sach&fulltext=
Old 26 Jun 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3426909)   #4544
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
that's interesting, but the reality is all of those positions constitute a full LMP1 team, therefore all are currently filled, but what many high-pressure engineering organisations do is keep the adverts open in order to keep a steady flow of CV's for when the current engineer gets burned out or gets a bigger money offer at an F1 team.......or - wakes up, smells the coffee, gets a proper engineering job, with a social life, a wife, and 3 kids, house + morgage, but crucially you only work a maximum of 38 hours per week, and you get the weekend to yourself to actually relax.......just like I did!.......I now get my motorsport fix via teaching my 8 year old son cadet karting, and its far more rewarding than working for some egotistical race team.......

I seem to remember some statements on mulsannes corner that this is already happening, whereby the Porsche LMP1 team already has a high turn-over of staff, a lot of engineers have already come and gone......its high pressure at the sharp end of the grid, people get used, burnt out and move on......
Old 26 Jun 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3426914)   #4545
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You have a wife and three kids, you don't get a weekend to yourself until the last one turns 18 or 20.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3427064)   #4546
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
your so old school.....we go karting literally every weekend!.......here is evidence :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYfM3WDBUE

the black cadet kart is my 8 year old son.....before you ask 52mph

sorry mods......back on topic!
Old 28 Jun 2014, 01:45 (Ref:3427346)   #4547
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could Makowiecki end up in the LMP1 Porsche some day?
Old 28 Jun 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3427405)   #4548
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I like mako, and I hope he can get inside the 919 as regoular driver (surely will be faster than webber). In early 2012 he was going to sign for peugeot.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3427598)   #4549
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche is going to be seriously short on factory drivers next year if they are planning to run a 3rd car in addition to the Manthey car's and the driver they loan to each customer 911.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3427600)   #4550
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
If he does, he will be the greatest Porsche factory driver ever since when he left Aston Martin and Honda IMO.