Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Apr 2004, 12:15 (Ref:945383)   #1
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Le Mans since...

I ´ve just seen (and participated) in the poll between tha Audi line ups and wondered a question. We all would prefere to have 4 different cars battling for the lead in the race, and what we will get is 4 equal cars with strong driver lineups, but after 3 factory Audi efforts and the Bentley one last year, teams that were so superior from the rest, this year promises to be the best since 1999. What do you think?
Old 20 Apr 2004, 12:20 (Ref:945392)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I particularly like the rule change about the gearbox changes . That should even things up a little , but they all have the same rules too . My darkhorse picks are the RfH and Rollcenter cars .

As for the Audi's ..... I would like to see the Champion Audi car do the trick cuz they do deserve it . I cant see any weak link (maybe Gearbox) in their armour apart from some young drivers but they showed what they can do in that car too .

I reckon its going to be a great race . The most wide open for years , agreed Javi .

But the best winner for me would be RfH Dome ..... in no uncertain terms showing the finger to the ACO

Last edited by The Badger; 20 Apr 2004 at 12:22.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 12:28 (Ref:945400)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wouldn't exactly be crying in my beer either if RfH brought it home. Be difficult to leave their second car out next year, wouldn't it?
Old 20 Apr 2004, 13:17 (Ref:945474)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i also didn't realize the driver line-ups were this good between the four audis... i really do think this is going to be a great race, and i personally dont care if there are four of the same car, all that matters is that there are four very different teams running them. my darkhorse pics are the rfh dome and henri pescarolo's cars, both looked very strong at the paul ricard test days in relation to the audis
Old 20 Apr 2004, 13:19 (Ref:945480)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, good point tblincoe - the Pesca effort was surprisingly strong at Ricard. I hope they can give it a good go as well. They've got a good driver line-up, for sure.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 14:34 (Ref:945571)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The Judd GV5 in the Pescarolo had already done over 2500 miles last year in the states with Doran Racing . Im hopeing for great things from Pescarolo this year .
Old 20 Apr 2004, 15:14 (Ref:945627)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I want a courage to win!
Old 20 Apr 2004, 15:45 (Ref:945650)   #8
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pesca on the podium... might be a possability if they get a good run. Now that would be a sight. Personally i can't see much getting past the Audi UK boys if they avoid troubles, no matter how strong the other Audi/ rfh teams are. Should be a good race though.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 16:02 (Ref:945669)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a lot of anticipation for this year's race (even though I feel the field could be much stronger). The battle between the four customer Audi's could well be very memorable. I also think that RfH and Pescarolo will give the Audi boys some fits. Especially in qualifying and the early part of the race. They clearly demonstrated their outright pace at Paul Ricard. LMP2 and GTS are just not exciting me this year. GT should be a hell of a battle though.

Question for the stat hounds. When's the last year that the first two or more cars finished on the same lap?
Old 20 Apr 2004, 19:03 (Ref:945869)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Best Le Mans since...

Quote:
Originally posted by Javi
this year promises to be the best since 1999. What do you think?
Javi, my opinion exactly...

We'll have the Audi battle, but a strong field behind too... and now the Pescarolos are in for a real fight ! Woohoo !

Last edited by Fab; 20 Apr 2004 at 19:05.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 19:56 (Ref:945923)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I wouldn't exactly be crying in my beer either if RfH brought it home. Be difficult to leave their second car out next year, wouldn't it?
according to planet le mans they've got the second entry now because one of the gts teams pulled out...
Old 20 Apr 2004, 20:55 (Ref:945990)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was actually a Ferrari 550 that was being confgured to GT specs somehow....

I still think it will be an Audi to beat....

It amazed me how dominant they were at Sebring...and I haven't even seen Team Goh run yet...

IMO, it'll take two of the four dropping out of the race or having a very lengthy repair for whatever reason to give anyone else a shot at making the Podium....

But like last year, the "real" race I'm looking forward -- just like Last Year -- is "Best Non-VAG"....

RollCentre was strong at Sebring...

Pesca & RfH will be very fast as well...

Don't forget the Zytek....

I also like the RML and Intersport entries....

and the Courage C65 has been very quick in practices, tests, and was as well last November in the LM 1000 K....

Lister should be greatly improved and competitive as well....

Yep...I think I'll enjoy this as much, if not more, that the actuall race up front among the Audis.....

Just look back at the final hour last year with the Factory Courage C60, the Panoz and RfH going at it on every lap....

and the finish would've been even better if the Courage wouldn't have had the mishap on the final lap...

The "races within the race" will make this an excellent year at LM...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:17 (Ref:946021)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't wait for the Audi battle Tim. But, the race between RfH, Pescarolo, Intersport and Rollcentre will be just as good as the Audi fight. But I disagree with a few of your other mentionables.

RML: not sure about the reliability of the MG, plus they don't seem to be as quick as Dyson are with that package.

Lister: way too many strange things going on with them right now for me to be very impressed.

Zytek: must confess to not knowing much about this package in terms of reliability, althought the DBA Zytek has shown some speed in FIA SCC.

One you didn't mention that I think could surprise is Taurus.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:19 (Ref:946024)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too think it'll be a great race. Mainly as said above in the 'best of the rest' stakes. I fear for the reliability of the others too. There may well be some heart break.

Also, don't forget the non prototype classes. There is less variety, but there should be some strong reliable runs there.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:27 (Ref:946032)   #15
tblincoe
Veteran

how could you not be excited? not much variety in the gt category doesnt really matter when you have corvettes vs. ferraris and a host of very good porsche teams battling it out with a 360 or two thrown into the mix... the battle up front among the audis is going to be awesome, and strength of the pescarolo, rfh, and dallaras is going to be right up there too, as well as the lister
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:42 (Ref:946048)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am excited. :confused: The Ferrari-Corvette battle will be great. There are some talented drivers in those cars too.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:55 (Ref:946066)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I can't wait for the Audi battle Tim. But, the race between RfH, Pescarolo, Intersport and Rollcentre will be just as good as the Audi fight. But I disagree with a few of your other mentionables.

RML: not sure about the reliability of the MG, plus they don't seem to be as quick as Dyson are with that package.

Lister: way too many strange things going on with them right now for me to be very impressed.

Zytek: must confess to not knowing much about this package in terms of reliability, althought the DBA Zytek has shown some speed in FIA SCC.

One you didn't mention that I think could surprise is Taurus.
I would agree with your assessments, jhansen....I was thinking about action throughout the race as well....

I thought the "Non-VAG" LMP900 battle was outstanding throughout the entire 24 hrs....

and Taurus should have been on my list!!!!!!

But I didn't want to run down the entire LMP grid of names.....

Bottom line....

I think there could be as many as 10, or more cars fighting it out on the track among the "Non-VAG" LMPs....

There were about that many last year during many stages of teh race...and to watch the ebb and flow of those temas as they progressed through the race was really great action to follow...eithr on Tv or on-line....

It didn't matter which method....

and I expect the same this year, too....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 01:52 (Ref:946230)   #18
tblincoe
Veteran

sorry adam, i thought that you were saying there was nothing to be excited about... my bad! i definitely agree that the ferrari-corvette battle should be great, esp. with corvette on michelins after they had their butts kicked last year by the ferraris
Old 21 Apr 2004, 05:08 (Ref:946304)   #19
toge
Rookie

toge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait to see the closest competition!

I think Kondo Racing Dome will strong enough this year...
They use 04spec brandnew chassis, also M-tec
improve their Mugen engine's horsepower and torque.
Michigami is leading driver of Dome/Honda team in JGTC,
Kato showed his speed in last several year, and
Shimoda was also impressive last year(but he made some
mistakes...).

also I'm interested in GT class battle, between
Freisinger and White Lightening. But all Porsche user
teams will go strong... Non-works team, such as
PK, Seikel, ChoroQ can beat Porsche works!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 07:13 (Ref:946355)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

4 Audi's against 2 RfH Dome's and a brace of Pescarolo Courages with a Dallara sounds good to me . Its a bloody crime that someone didnt run a Panoz LMP-1 , especially after the battle to the flag last year !!

RfH is my darkhorse ..... and then show the ***bird*** to the ACO !!! ha HA

The battle between Prodrive , Larbre and Corvette should be real hooligan stuff !!!! Not sure who I would like to see win outta this monster ding dong . Im a little bit of a 550 fan though .

The scrap in GT is going to be a big fight between Petersen , Orbit and the Freisinger-Ortelli car and maybe the JMB 360GTC , it is a GTC ?!

And all the things that go along with my annual Le Mans pilgrimage ..... I just cant wait !!!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 08:57 (Ref:946422)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
But like last year, the "real" race I'm looking forward -- just like Last Year -- is "Best Non-VAG"....
Just look back at the final hour last year with the Factory Courage C60, the Panoz and RfH going at it on every lap...and the finish would've been even better if the Courage wouldn't have had the mishap on the final lap...The "races within the race" will make this an excellent year at LM...
Yep , last year was my 13th year and the atmosphere in the grand stands in front of the pits was electric , they had a big screen to you could watch the whole scrap . When they came around lap after lap the crowd went ape !!! Best ever finish that Ive ever personally witnissed .

Lets hope for more of the same
Old 21 Apr 2004, 09:08 (Ref:946428)   #22
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
And all the things that go along with my annual Le Mans "pilgrimage" ..... I just cant wait !!!
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 11:29 (Ref:946552)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
with a Dallara
With TWO Judd Dallaras !
Old 21 Apr 2004, 13:34 (Ref:946707)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by toge
also I'm interested in GT class battle, between
Freisinger and White Lightening. But all Porsche user
teams will go strong... Non-works team, such as
PK, Seikel, ChoroQ can beat Porsche works!
Welcome to ten-tenths

I too am looking forward to this. Although I am firmly in the Ortelli camp when it comes to GT.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 18:49 (Ref:946981)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm firmly in the TVR camp - I suppose we can all dream......