Official: Austria, Italy and Japan join A1 GP

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=25901

Italy finally join A1GP
Old 20 Sep 2005, 02:38 (Ref:1411881)   #2
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well 25 cars on the grid, it didn't look like they could keep their promise but now they have. Although those teams have barely had any running, will see how fast they are come race weekend.

But thats excellent news. The more the better. 25 cars, going to be awesome.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 03:18 (Ref:1411894)   #3
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
I would like to see 30-35 cars on the grid. That would be cool!
Old 20 Sep 2005, 05:27 (Ref:1411912)   #4
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
I would like to see 30-35 cars on the grid. That would be cool!
It would be like watching a Aussie Racing Cars grid but with A1GP cars. Now that would be awesome!!
Old 20 Sep 2005, 06:34 (Ref:1411933)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would prefer to see just 26 on the grid with qualifying to elimimate the slower entrants.That way they would not get in the way of the quick ones. This system worked well in F1 until about 10 yrs ago.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1411948)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
I would prefer to see just 26 on the grid with qualifying to elimimate the slower entrants.That way they would not get in the way of the quick ones. This system worked well in F1 until about 10 yrs ago.
The days of pre-qualifying in any major motorsport are over - 107% rules notwithstanding.

There is just too much money involved to have people sent packing without getting a race start.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1411955)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
The days of pre-qualifying in any major motorsport are over - 107% rules notwithstanding.

There is just too much money involved to have people sent packing without getting a race start.
Still happens in NASCAR.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1412140)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the Austrian outfit, I think Helmut Marko would be the better man to lead this team. But hey, Niki needs a job (and so does Matthias). But I really would have hoped for an actual Austrian team; Rosberg has come into the deal because he failed to get the German team. I hope it won't turn out to be a "take the money & run" effort.

Besides, we don't have a track!! Hello Mr. Bullschitz, if you want to spend some more money on motor racing then how about rebuilding the A1-Ring you have chosen to dig up!! But no, you had to buy a football team instead.

Looks like Mad Mat Lauda is confirmed, so one seat remains to be filled. Mr. Clean who will seemingly be staying in F1 a while longer, and I would assume every F1 contract excludes other racing these days. Apart from Patrick Friesacher, Norbert Siedler is looking at ChampCars but I guess he won't mind an end-of-season gig. There is Andreas Zuber, the Lechner brothers, Marco Schärf, Christian Lietz, even old boys Karl Wendlinger and Philipp Peter - any number of drivers who would be up to the job. (And give Dieter Quester half a chance and he'll drive both cars ).
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1412187)   #9
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Looks like Mad Mat Lauda is confirmed, so one seat remains to be filled. Mr. Clean who will seemingly be staying in F1 a while longer, and I would assume every F1 contract excludes other racing these days. Apart from Patrick Friesacher, Norbert Siedler is looking at ChampCars but I guess he won't mind an end-of-season gig. There is Andreas Zuber, the Lechner brothers, Marco Schärf, Christian Lietz, even old boys Karl Wendlinger and Philipp Peter - any number of drivers who would be up to the job. (And give Dieter Quester half a chance and he'll drive both cars ).
What do you mean? There's only ONE car per country!
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1412194)   #10
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Yep one car, two drivers. Teams will probably be doing what Australia is doing with Jones racing the sprint race, and Power the long race on Sunday. Splitting the duo into the two races (courtesy of daddy).
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1412198)   #11
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
Yep one car, two drivers. Teams will probably be doing what Australia is doing with Jones racing the sprint race, and Power the long race on Sunday. Splitting the duo into the two races (courtesy of daddy).

As far as I know there can be dozens of drivers per team. It's even possible to put in another driver every other race.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1412200)   #12
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
As far as I know there can be dozens of drivers per team. It's even possible to put in another driver every other race.
Well yes, i was referring to a weekend. Probably should have made myself clear. But yeh for a team over the season you could have quite a number of drivers, but some countries dont have that much talent to hand drives out like candy.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1412248)   #13
Milanostah
Rookie

Milanostah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the Japanese drive, it's a bit of a long shot, but Shimoda?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1412287)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shimoda is certainly fast enough IMO, hes shown what he can do this year in the LMES and in the ALMS when he has a good car beneath him. Shimoda would defintly be on my short list of potential Japaneese drivers.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1412458)   #15
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Shimoda is certainly fast enough IMO, hes shown what he can do this year in the LMES and in the ALMS when he has a good car beneath him. Shimoda would defintly be on my short list of potential Japaneese drivers.
Quote from the MSV website today reads:

A business conglomeration will run A1 Team Japan's car which today was shaken down by ex-F1 star Hideki Noda but will be driven by Ryo Fukuda at Brands Hatch. The team will be run by Carlin Motorsport, a team with a string of racing titles to their name, most recently the British Formula 3 championship title.

Paul.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1412971)   #16
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives!
Quote from the MSV website today reads:

A business conglomeration will run A1 Team Japan's car which today was shaken down by ex-F1 star Hideki Noda but will be driven by Ryo Fukuda at Brands Hatch. The team will be run by Carlin Motorsport, a team with a string of racing titles to their name, most recently the British Formula 3 championship title.

Paul.
Who is Fukuda???? I heard rumours that Shimmy is going to be at Brans this weekend................................maybe a warm up for Petit Le Mans
Old 21 Sep 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1413057)   #17
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fukuda is the ex-BAR F1 test driver! Hasn't really impressed since winning the 2001 French F3 title though:

http://www.speedsportmag.de/motorspo...l=f&driver=888