Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Mar 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3521679)   #3601
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babapapa View Post
They car was well in the pace of the GT3-cars and the sound was much to joy of the spectators!

Was everything else fine? Any damage or some new insights in coherence with the Nordschleife?
Once we made a few set up changes cars ran really well. We were 6TH OA when we were Black Flagged for noise.

Our best time before being Black Flagged was 8:12.

Thoughts and Prayers with everyone.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3521682)   #3602
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I promised myself I wouldn't get into this.......

So yes, what you say is true and I agree, but the car clipping the back on the catch fencing at the exact angle to vault the catch fencing and land in an area in which people happen to be seated is not the 'fault' of the car or the driver, and I'd argue that it's not something anyone could have reasonably predicted. If they had done, it would not be FIA grade 2 certified.

Please let's stop trying to pin blame on anyone for an unfortunate set of circumstances which no one could reasonably have predicted occurring. Lessons have been learned (in the worst way possible), measures will be taken.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 03:35 (Ref:3521718)   #3603
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
(This is not just a reaction to your post, but all posts not blaming the driver).
The driver cannot be taken out this equation at all, especially not the experience of the driver.
An experienced Nürburgring driver know that the Flugplatz will give you a little bit of air time.
A good experienced racing driver knows his car and it's weakness. One of Nissan's being airtime at Flugplatz.
If the driver knows that he/she is coming in too fast at Flugplatz, in a car prone to airtime, he/she should lift the throttle a little before, to take down the risk of being airborne.
While this place is known for making cars unstable and GT3 cars (not just the Nissan) getting a bit air has been a regular sight in recent years, I just seriously doubt any driver going over Flugplatz expects to take off if he doesn't lift off a bit. An actual flip has now happened, twice* ever? The line between taking off and not taking off is miniscule. I don't find this comparable to, lets say, driving too fast into a turn, and then spinning as a result, because that is expected and even then driver can try to control the situation.

* This and Manfred Winkelhock decades ago in an F2?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 06:25 (Ref:3521742)   #3604
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Interesting video - maybe the organizers should consider moving the spectator area further away from the track at that point as it is clear that airborne incidents are not new and therefore cannot be unexpected at the that point.

Alternatively they could consider shaving off the top of the hump as the ACO did at LM after the Mercedes Airways incidents
Old 30 Mar 2015, 08:03 (Ref:3521758)   #3605
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post

So yes, what you say is true and I agree, but the car clipping the back on the catch fencing at the exact angle to vault the catch fencing and land in an area in which people happen to be seated is not the 'fault' of the car or the driver, and I'd argue that it's not something anyone could have reasonably predicted. If they had done, it would not be FIA grade 2 certified.

Please let's stop trying to pin blame on anyone for an unfortunate set of circumstances which no one could reasonably have predicted occurring. Lessons have been learned (in the worst way possible), measures will be taken.
An extremely sensible post.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 08:30 (Ref:3521764)   #3606
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Yes, I agree, all that happens after the car is airborne is a freak accident further escalated by poor guidance towards the spectators (see my previous post about the guardrail). However, it is the driver and team/manufacture who is to blame for getting the car airborne in the first place.
A driver shouldn't go flat out full speed over Flugplatz on some of the first laps, in the same way you don't go flat out into a blind corner.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 11:16 (Ref:3521820)   #3607
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A driver shouldn't go flat out full speed over Flugplatz on some of the first laps, in the same way you don't go flat out into a blind corner.
I don't think so.

not being able to go flat out on a race track for fear of the car becoming airborne is totally different to not going flat out round a corner because the tyres ultimately lose grip. it's a track issue if your car becomes a plane, not the driver's.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 11:21 (Ref:3521821)   #3608
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm 50-50 on whether call this knee-jerk or not - depends on how the situation evolves.

Even if they re-allow the GT classes shortly before the 24 hours, it's gonna leave massive number of unprepared cars and drivers to take the start. Oh and obviously the "qualifying race" is now pretty much killed off

It would be pretty old school looking if the ban was still in effect for the 24 and it temporarily returned to the era of lower performance touring cars. Which class out of the ones not in ban would be among the fastest?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3521826)   #3609
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
The TT-RS' would walk it I think. Maybe v the Astra GTCs and those Black Falcon 991s over race distance.

Basically, the entire first plateau of starters is out, as far as I can tell.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3521827)   #3610
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The TT-RS' would walk it I think. Maybe v the Astra GTCs and those Black Falcon 991s over race distance.

Basically, the entire first plateau of starters is out, as far as I can tell.
I would think they'd let the GT4s back in and perhaps ban the SP4T TT-RS as the bans right now just aren't very consistent.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3521835)   #3611
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the real issue here is that spectators were in a potential impact zone. I suspect they knew they shouldn't be there but wanted a good view of the cars getting air. (Think Rally). The answer is not to ban the cars, but to move the spectators back.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3521850)   #3612
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
For those of you who are not familair with the situation at the Flugplatz area.

The steep uphill where the lift off started and the following fast right hander are actually just before Flugplatz (which is basically nothing more than a right hand kink at the 4 km marker and named after an old air strip close by), see:

The entire Ring nowadays has safety fencing at spectator areas which is situated on a 8-10 ft* high bank behind the guardrail which, in like many places, is preceded by a (double) row of tires.

[*I haven't measured the height of the bank but believe me, it's not only high but also rather steep - I've done the trip from on top of the bank down to the guardrail - and back! - quite a few times and it's not a piece-o-cake!]

This is the view from marshalspost (streckenpost) 80:

And from MP 78/79:

Another example (from MP 153):

The combined height of bank + safety fence is close to 20 ft. - if not more.

As said before: spectators are officially allowed directly behind the safety fence, the organizers even allow scaffolds and what's more constructed against it (Hohe Acht area):

It took a fully airborne car to clear the safety fence - contributed largely by the reinforcing effect of the tire stacks when the car hit the beginning of it, which made the car somersault along and eventually over it.

(also notice the subtle similarities with McNish's 2011 Le Mans crash as well which could have resulted in an even more devastating disaster:
)

Hopefully this little insight provides a better understanding of things.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3521886)   #3613
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudd View Post
I don't think so.

not being able to go flat out on a race track for fear of the car becoming airborne is totally different to not going flat out round a corner because the tyres ultimately lose grip. it's a track issue if your car becomes a plane, not the driver's.
Why is it the tracks issue if the car becomes a plane?
It is the driver who detriments how fast he is going over the kink. It is the teams/manufactures who decides the level of downforce to keep the car down.

How can it be the track which needs to change, and not the driver and car, who easily can do i?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3521897)   #3614
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the easiest way to get the banned cars back in before the 24h is to make that section a permanent yellow, like the hairpin in Macau. In Macau it is to avoid overtaking, here they can force cars to slow down there.

After that there is time enough to think about track or car changes.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3521912)   #3615
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
I think the easiest way to get the banned cars back in before the 24h is to make that section a permanent yellow, like the hairpin in Macau. In Macau it is to avoid overtaking, here they can force cars to slow down there.

After that there is time enough to think about track or car changes.
Yellow flags sadly only work to avoid overtaking for must drivers.
As a Marshall I often see drivers, driving just as furiously through a Yellow zone as when it is green. The only thing slowing them down is if there is a slower car in front, where they can be penalised if they overtake.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 17:27 (Ref:3521922)   #3616
Gregory S
Rookie

Gregory S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I meant the WTCC
Oh, sorry. I didn't understand it correctly.

Old 30 Mar 2015, 17:56 (Ref:3521928)   #3617
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yellow flags sadly only work to avoid overtaking for must drivers.
As a Marshall I often see drivers, driving just as furiously through a Yellow zone as when it is green. The only thing slowing them down is if there is a slower car in front, where they can be penalised if they overtake.
So penalize them for driving too fast
Off course it's not the best solution and against the spirit of racing, but i think it's the easiest thing to introduce in this short time.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3521932)   #3618
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Off course it's not the best solution and against the spirit of racing, but i think it's the easiest thing to introduce in this short time.
Believe me, we are trying (at the circuit where I work), but it is very hard to prove that a driver isn't slowing down.
Perhaps the WEC solution of forced speeds in certain zones would be good? (electronic limiters controlled by GPS)
Old 30 Mar 2015, 18:25 (Ref:3521934)   #3619
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
I would prefer a technical adjustment to the cars as temporary remedy, increased ride height and smaller front splitters to begin with and - as a more permanent solution - outlaw flat bottom floors.

Besides that the Ring (and other tracks as well!) have to look at the specific spot of the accident and similar areas where lift offs happen frequently and consider making changes - either to the track, run off areas (including modifying/replacing existing tire barriers) or spectator zones.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 19:03 (Ref:3521945)   #3620
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sure drivers get penalised during VLN/N24 if they don't slow to a certain speed through yellow flag zones (GPS is used to check speeds as far as I am aware).
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3521980)   #3621
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very unfortunate accident. RIP to the spectator. And best wishes to Jann and and the injured spectators, hoping the the spectators get well soon and Jann gets over this.

I don't know what should be done. If no other changes will be made, surely spectators must not be allowed to be there anymore. But even if there were no spectators, that would've been a dangerous situation for the driver. I wouldn't like the track be changed, not even the hump lowered, changing Nordschleife would feel just wrong. Rather try to make the cars less prone to get airborne there. And if the track gets deemed too dangerous for GT3, then I rather see them going than the track changed. Of course, the track company may think in a different way and even make necessary changes if that's required to keep GT3.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3521981)   #3622
pierre_ch
Rookie

Switzerland
Zürich
pierre_ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting and factual analysis here:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/m...b-9410503.html (in german)
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3521986)   #3623
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
All the talk about changing the track or banning spectators from certain zones really doesn't touch the true problem: The inconvenient truth is that VLN and the 24hrs have been broken for a couple of years now.

There have been spades of races prematurely red-flagged over the last few seasons and the overall driving style has become just so much more aggressive for a variety of factors but ultimately as a result of the professionalization of the series.

The VLN of old used to work precisely because it was largely a club championship and people raced responsibly and respectfully and probably not always at the limit of what their cars could do, but rather a bit more laid back in true old school endurance style. All that seems gone nowadays with the advent of what is often called the "four-(or twenty-four)-hour-sprint races". With so much prestige at stake and money invested, going anything short of flat-out doesn't do anymore, but at a track like the 'Ring, that comes with a price. Though we have seen similar developments at other GT3 races, most notably Bathurst and Spa.

Either way, the flat-out approach seems to have also infected the lower classes (perhaps in part through the proliferation of one-make-cups to make up the numbers, where you can no longer really hope to out-engineer or outlast the competition), so there are many people that are going at it way too hard - and in some cases, due to the increasing costs (cf. professionalization again) these are people of the more-money-than-brains-persuasion.

Painful as it may be, if VLN wants to survive, they need to turn back the clock on the professionalization and get back to a more club race kind of format.

Last edited by Speed-King; 30 Mar 2015 at 21:48.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3521993)   #3624
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Speed-King, the VLN went out of control. Too many pro lineups and huge difference between the first and the last, specially if we consider the Ring factor.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3521997)   #3625
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
JAS tested the Civic during a VLN round last year and where over 50 seconds slower than the fastest GT3 cars http://www.vln.de/includes/download....014-09-13t.pdf (position 31)