Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jul 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3661438)   #126
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Le Mans Classic I was relieved of €15 for a 250ml beer & iced tea. Only happened once! Silverstone good value by comparison.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 12:04 (Ref:3661453)   #127
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I posted a link to the catering map a while back. Lots of choice!
Old 27 Jul 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3661454)   #128
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bergqvist View Post
Also, from what it says on the Digital Race Card, it implies the 90s F1 stuff won't be a race per se, just a parade? It calls those events 'Sessions' rather than 'Practice', 'Qualifying' & 'Race'.
F1 and 90s GT Legends are just demo run, not a timed race event. If it's anything like the last time the 90s GT cars ran, the driver/car combination that appear on track will be nothing like what appears in the programme.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 12:22 (Ref:3661457)   #129
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I was quite surprised to see at Thruxton last year there was a wide variety of caters on offer for the BTCC round. The very reasonable Bratwurst outlet was doing a roaring trade, really surprised to actually see nice food on offer for once.

I ordered a burger at Brands Hatch for the BTCC a few years back and the first thing I noticed was the stale bap, however I just kinda shook my head and thought "what did I expect"? However after biting into the burger and being greeted with a mass of bright red meat I just snapped and stormed over and had a "Watchdog" style rant at them. I wouldn't mind paying nearly 7 quid for a burger, if it was actually edible.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3661465)   #130
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bergqvist View Post
Damn. I guess i'm going to have to pre-judge what i'm likely to be spending then! Does anyone know what the average price for a meal from one of the food stalls tends to be? £6-8?
Having spent a weekend at Oulton for the BTCC and a long weekend at Silverstone for the GP, I can confidently state that the food was cheaper and far better at Sillystone. Two things stick out; firstly the quality was far superior (with great variety of outlets to suit most tastes) at the GP, plus there was real competition between the establishments on price, unlike at the BTCC where all the burger suppliers charged the same, and the fish and chips places, etc.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 15:10 (Ref:3661479)   #131
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Having spent a weekend at Oulton for the BTCC and a long weekend at Silverstone for the GP, I can confidently state that the food was cheaper and far better at Sillystone. Two things stick out; firstly the quality was far superior (with great variety of outlets to suit most tastes) at the GP, plus there was real competition between the establishments on price, unlike at the BTCC where all the burger suppliers charged the same, and the fish and chips places, etc.
O f course he best catering at the Classic will be at Delta's Pantry, where on Friday evening mouth watering burgers will be prepared over an open Barbie.

While the burgers will be delicious there will also be the attraction of being able to meet Bauble in the flesh (all of it), an opportunity that I trust you willall take advantage off.

Bring your own bottle, and lots of cash.

Why you can even tackle the Quiz for free.

What more could anyone ask for?
Old 27 Jul 2016, 15:34 (Ref:3661483)   #132
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Why you can even tackle the Quiz for free.

What more could anyone ask for?
Just the answers!
Old 27 Jul 2016, 17:58 (Ref:3661510)   #133
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just the answers!
Mike the quiz is free........................ the answers would cost you a few shillings.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3661513)   #134
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
All set up Bob .,bring it on . 😀
Old 27 Jul 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3661525)   #135
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not surprised that the prices were all the same at Oulton, Dr P controls everything to make sure the circuits own outlets are not disadvantaged.

I would say that the quality of the food from the MSVRs own outlets is very good now.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 06:04 (Ref:3661578)   #136
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I'm not surprised that the prices were all the same at Oulton, Dr P controls everything to make sure the circuits own outlets are not disadvantaged.

I would say that the quality of the food from the MSVRs own outlets is very good now.
O/T so apologies, but I was very disappointed with food in the Brands Kentagon recently. I commented to friends that Tyrell's at Snett was so much better, and the response was that the outlets are owned and run independently, so standards are down to the operators...... We're in the old paddock here at Sillystone, and have the cafe close by. It's OK, but still bought own supplies though!
Old 28 Jul 2016, 07:39 (Ref:3661583)   #137
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Should be there tomorrow - Bob, I will bring the items you require

Will be good to catch up with a few people and not have to charge about looking for places to watch the racing.

Hope also to be there Saturday for a few hours. Kev has been asked to provide a bit of back up commentary for Ian Titchmarsh and is rather nervous about it, but I reckon he'll be fine because he knows what he is talking about, unlike his Dad.

Oh, and I agree that the Snetterton grub is better than most.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 28 Jul 2016, 07:43 (Ref:3661584)   #138
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
...... We're in the old paddock here at Sillystone, and have the cafe close by. It's OK......
I'll put the cafe to the test for breakfast tomorrow. Had lunch there at this year's VSCC Spring Start and it was quite good.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 11:21 (Ref:3661598)   #139
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About to head north.
Hope everyone has a safe, enjoyable and dry event.

Old 28 Jul 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3661604)   #140
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
About to head north.
Hope everyone has a safe, enjoyable and dry event.

Forget the 'dry', the rain's here! Should pass through though....
Old 28 Jul 2016, 12:06 (Ref:3661607)   #141
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope the rain clears for you guys who have qualifying tommorow.
So then,who`s going this weekend (obviously the teams and drivers we know about already) as spectators i mean?

Myself and my lad James will be there Saturday and Sunday,with Mrs E. joining us on the Sunday (presumably to check i have not spent too much or bought another race car).
Looking foward to HTCC,Pre `63 and `66 GT,Can-Am`s, Masters Sports and F1`s.
The U2TC looks interesting also,shame there are no MK2 Jags in the `big engined` tourers though.

Hoping the F1 Maki has somewhat better preparation today than in period when Tony Trimmer used to have bits falling off.Really ready for the Matra V12`s on full noise,hope they stay healthy too.
Will you be there Chunterer?Would love to meet-up at some point.
Be happy to hear all Ken C`s charges are in fine fettle and Peter`s V8 behaves itself,will be looking in at the National paddock garages Saturday A.M.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 15:03 (Ref:3661643)   #142
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Forget the 'dry', the rain's here! Should pass through though....
Rain had been and gone by the time I arrived at Woodlands.
Tents all up, currently having a brew while listening to shouty cars testing in the next field
Old 28 Jul 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3661656)   #143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dear diary,

Today I met Delta and Mike B, then later Cliff Ryan. Dropped off to slee....... er dropped off some beer for the Marshal's BBQ and then did some testing in the morning. It rained in the afternoon so as I know how appalling these tyres in the wet are I decided not to risk dinging the car.

Now back home and relaxing before qualifying tomorrow morning.

Aaaaah...................
Old 28 Jul 2016, 17:51 (Ref:3661666)   #144
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm really looking forward to the next 3 days, all packed up and raring to go. Even the weather forecast looks promising, tho as long as the rain stays away ill be happy .
Old 28 Jul 2016, 19:50 (Ref:3661699)   #145
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I shall be there on Sunday First race in the UK since 2004 Better get the satnav out lol
Old 29 Jul 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3661830)   #146
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weather been 'not too bad' so far today just the odd few minutes of drizzle but mainly dry, bit of sun and pleasantly warm. Some 'Tenthers already been out in qualifying that I know about - Peter, Iain, Mike and Cliff (who I finally had the pleasure of meeting).

Not too many photos today as mainly having a look around and chatting. Quick snap of Mike and Cliff during qualifying changeover - playing at wifi to camera and iPhone painting. Bit of an experiment - apologies to proper artists! 😀
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 29 Jul 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3661843)   #147
brands
Veteran

Having a great time wandering through the garages. There seems more room between cars this year, especially at the Wing.

A couple of phone shots of the Porsche display:
Attached Thumbnails
20160729_075520.jpg   20160729_075711.jpg   20160729_075506.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3661852)   #148
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dear Diary,

Today I was sent to the wrong area to park the Jeep, the Porsche Club were somewhat miffed so I had to move.

I met Chunterer, Mike Bell (again), Cliff Ryan (again) and Cliff's eldest son (not again but apologies I have name blindness) and Delta (again). Had egg and bacon bap for brunch.

Went for a short drive and was slower than yesterday initially due to oil, yellow flags and too many cars in the way, then it rained and I went for a pee-rooo-wett at Stowe! Still, finished in a relatively respectable position and if it's dry I could have some fun on Sunday.

Now home and relaxing. This can't be motor racing.

Enjoy the bar b q this evening.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 21:55 (Ref:3661939)   #149
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dear Diary . Trying to sleep in the back of Delta truck . Problem there is some **** shouting in a microphone over the over side and I can't get to sleep .
Old 30 Jul 2016, 05:40 (Ref:3661976)   #150
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Ear plugs, dear boy....... They weren't called the BOOM Town Rats for nothing. Slept like a log, and woke up to sunshine! Like Peter, in HTCC Cliff and I slid around on the oil and wet track and qualified right near the back. Car was fine though, so looking forward to seeing how many of our competitors we can get past on Sunday! Day of fettling, chilling, exploring and watching, today. First call the Porsche competition car display.....