Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Nov 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2991882)   #126
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
good question! i wish i had an answer for you
OK, so where did you copy that from? They should be able to answer the question.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2992068)   #127
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
here
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2992818)   #128
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
found an interesting article while looking for new info on the new gen NZV8. chassis price of this car and new gen are close.. not so much turn key. wonder if the 6 litre in the article is still an option for the new car?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2992825)   #129
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
NZ V8 Ute Racing
Two weeks today we will be all set up at Ruapuna for round 2 of the UDC V8 Ute Series. An expect a couple of new faces... well one face returning from last year plus the likely hood of a new one as well. Guess who? Watch this space for more details and comments.

so who's the old face returning? Pither, Lobb, Bernie?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2992829)   #130
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
found an interesting article while looking for new info on the new gen NZV8. chassis price of this car and new gen are close.. not so much turn key. wonder if the 6 litre in the article is still an option for the new car?

That article appears to me to be written before the split between the NZV8's and the Supertourers,
and I presume the car the are referring to is now the Supertourer.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2992835)   #131
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
since i don't know what's different about the car in the article and a Supertourer... well just call a Supertourer a Supertourer.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2993048)   #132
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...-racing-feared

So I'm not really getting what is going on here? If the council doesn't pay for a BBQ, the series isn't coming?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2993093)   #133
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
updated..
Old 29 Nov 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2993163)   #134
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm lost.

I'm not really getting why the local government has to stump up $20000 for some beer and BBQ thing or otherwise the race is toast.

It seems to be an irrelevant side circus to what the event is, a motor racing meeting.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2993169)   #135
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
your reading more into that, than what is there mountainstar.

it doesnt talk about the race not happening, it talks about "Blues, Brews and BBQs " not happening if the funding doesnt happen

you are right that its a side event to the race, but in theory what it does is encourage others to come who wouldnt normally come, or encourages those that were 50-50 about attending to make the effort.

Its similar to the sydney 500 having bands in the evening
Old 29 Nov 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2993181)   #136
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
your reading more into that, than what is there mountainstar.

it doesnt talk about the race not happening, it talks about "Blues, Brews and BBQs " not happening if the funding doesnt happen

you are right that its a side event to the race, but in theory what it does is encourage others to come who wouldnt normally come, or encourages those that were 50-50 about attending to make the effort.

Its similar to the sydney 500 having bands in the evening
From the Timaru Herald - "Having the council's backing would make it so much easier to argue for the race remaining in Timaru, he said, adding he had effectively been given an ultimatum from MotorSport New Zealand, that it needed to see a sign of real support from the council."

Or else what would happen?

I went to the first round at Puke and the whole show looked very tired. I've never seen the hill look so empty at a Tier One round either. There's something going on at Ruapuna between MSNZ and the car club, and now "some pressure" on Timaru.

I think "not all is well in Dingley-Dell".
Old 29 Nov 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2993202)   #137
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
the Pukekohe round was never going to be a great one. small NZV8 field, no TRS, GT3s not racing this season, confusion over the different V8 classes. i wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there wondering why Bargwanna was racing a NZV8.. yet Murphy was a no show.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2993218)   #138
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I don't understand "Murphy was a no show". Can you expand on that?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2993219)   #139
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
to plenty of non-motorsport followers.. a NZV8 looks the same as the other class.

headlines like "Murphy: New NZ V8 is just like a V8 Supercar" wouldn't help
Old 29 Nov 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2993229)   #140
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Did you make up that headline?

I think motorsport followers know the differences, and those that don't follow motorsport wouldn't know anything about what's going on, and couldn't care less.

Is there such a thing as a "non-motorsport follower"?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2993246)   #141
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, NZ in my PIMPED F150
EZY PEEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im afraid I agree with PROMAX on this one, we had people comming up to us all day both days asking where Johnny Mac was (We were in the garage where he usually pits).

I think unless you have a vested interest (or follow this forum) then it is not as high priority as we (10-10ers) make it out to be.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2993257)   #142
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZY PEEL View Post
we had people comming up to us all day both days asking where Johnny Mac was.
That's a surprise. I guess they are the "non motorsport followers" he's talking about. I didn't get what he meant.

It never occurred to me that there are punters out there who follow the drivers and know them by name, but don't follow what's going on in the sport between race meetings. Don't they read anything?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2993275)   #143
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
That's a surprise. I guess they are the "non motorsport followers" he's talking about. I didn't get what he meant.

It never occurred to me that there are punters out there who follow the drivers and know them by name, but don't follow what's going on in the sport between race meetings. Don't they read anything?
Most people couldn’t tell you which NPC teams are in the Championship or Premiership divisions… and Rugby gets a LOT more of coverage than V8 Racing in NZ..

In a lot of ways, the casual fan is the most important fan in motorsport. Understanding why they’re not attending circuit racing in New Zealand, but turning up in there thousands to Western Springs the Kumeu Hot Rod Show, Big Boys Toys etc would be well worth investigating.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2993277)   #144
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I agree totally. But that requires good research, and that costs money.

If MSNZ perceived that research as an investment in the future of the sport (and them keeping their jobs), rather than a cost to be minimized, they would learn something about marketing the Summer Series.

Would they buy into that I wonder...
Old 30 Nov 2011, 03:49 (Ref:2993298)   #145
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I agree totally. But that requires good research, and that costs money.

If MSNZ perceived that research as an investment in the future of the sport (and them keeping their jobs), rather than a cost to be minimized, they would learn something about marketing the Summer Series.

Would they buy into that I wonder...
This was discussed quite a bit a few years ago on the Boss Forum about NZ V8's. I put my 2 cents in, with what I have seen work with success and what does work in terms of growing the potential revenue pool and making it a commercial success.

I have been to race tracks all over the world, I have to work at them and often spend a lot of time at them. And one common theme I notice with tracks in Australia and NZ is that quite a few of them are "nice" in terms of them being presentable and they are kept up to a reasonable standard, but it is obvious that if you are a spectator at most of these places you are screwed. There is almost no thinking or thought into having good places to spectate and if lucky you might get a "spectator mound" to squeeze in on in the dirt or you might at best get a wooden bench. At some of the tracks there might be some permanent, shaded seating, but that is more an exception than a rule.

If I am going to a dirt oval track for Saturday night racing, I might accept I'm going to pay $5-$20 and get stuck with a wooden bench for seating.

But if you are asking people to pay a premium of $35, $50, $100+, then the facilities need to match. And poor viewing spots, 3rd world toilet blocks, wooden benches or mud for seating, that just isn't cutting it. There are other things they can do with that money and it will buy a nice concert ticket or good seat at a Super 15 game or something else.

I think if you are charging a certain price, you've got to look at whether people are getting value at that price.

To me the fans are what keep the "professional" side of motorsport going and providing the excuse to keep commercial and B2B sponsorships worthwhile. It also keeps the TV ratings going. If people never get out to the track and get connected to the sport in person, you'll never build a repetitive audience on TV.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2993302)   #146
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Did you make up that headline?
*shocked* i don't make things up

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/05/27/...a-v8-supercar/
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:12 (Ref:2993322)   #147
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Thanks, you are right - that is a really dumb headline when the car has nothing to do with NZV8's. And that goes back to something we've discussed before - you can't take everything you read in the media literally!
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:16 (Ref:2993324)   #148
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
If I am going to a dirt oval track for Saturday night racing, I might accept I'm going to pay $5-$20 and get stuck with a wooden bench for seating.

But if you are asking people to pay a premium of $35, $50, $100+, then the facilities need to match.
I went to Western Springs Speedway on Saturday night and it cost me $30 to sit on concrete. And then I got tucked for a round of Corubas (in small cans) at $8 each. Burglars!!
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:34 (Ref:2993331)   #149
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Thanks, you are right - that is a really dumb headline when the car has nothing to do with NZV8's. And that goes back to something we've discussed before - you can't take everything you read in the media literally!
the problem is.. a lot of people don't know what the difference is between a NZV8 or the other class. there will be people out there wondering why there wasn't any VEs or FGs racing. i'm not at all surprised people were asking about Johnny Mac was at Pukekohe.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:44 (Ref:2993334)   #150
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may have been because they went to a race last year and still thought he was in the series. Maybe they never heard of ST.

What happened to keeping the topics on topic?

So... Ruapuna ay...