Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Nov 2011, 05:55 (Ref:2993339)   #151
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
talking about the NZV8 round at Pukekohe isn't on topic?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2993347)   #152
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, I don't get that either.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 07:03 (Ref:2993350)   #153
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
could be the lack of interest in the other thread, or maybe he needs a hug, or it could be GTR envy

don't know don't care

back on topic..
Old 30 Nov 2011, 07:43 (Ref:2993355)   #154
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You mean "the other thread" with 805 replies and 77562 views?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2993373)   #155
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was meaning keep ST stuff in the other thread.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2993381)   #156
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
You mean "the other thread" with 805 replies and 77562 views?
today must be a slow day.. since we're getting told what we can and can't post
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:14 (Ref:2995335)   #157
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know where to find entry lists for Ruapuna? Round starts in 4 days, nothing on the NZV8 website, just "yet to come", keen to see who is coming down for a play this weekend!
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:33 (Ref:2995340)   #158
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
you might have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:38 (Ref:2995342)   #159
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really? Ttat's a bit of shame, strange delay isn't? Can't they release a list of who is already entered, and throw something along the lines of "entry list is subject to changes" at the bottom? Might not be 100% spot on but gives people an idea atleast.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:44 (Ref:2995346)   #160
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
posting those already confirmed to race.. then updating.. would be helpful to the fans out there

but oh well
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:24 (Ref:2995364)   #161
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far...

BNT V8s

2011/2012 Competitor List

Powerbuilt Tools Raceway
at Ruapuna Park
9 – 11 December 2011

Car # Driver Hometown Vehicle Type Colour
2 Angus Fogg Auckland Ford White/Yellow
4 Simon Richards Hamilton Ford Black
5 Martin Short Hamilton Ford Silver
007 Nick Ross Cambridge Holden Red/Blue
11 Simon Evans Auckland Ford White
12 Jason Bargwanna Australia Ford Black
19 Dwayne Carter Auckland Ford Black
20 Haydn Mackenzie Auckland Ford Orange
26 Tim Edgell Auckland Ford Black
74 Ross Cameron Dunedin Holden Blue/Red

Updated 23/11
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:37 (Ref:2995369)   #162
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
So far...

BNT V8s

2011/2012 Competitor List

Powerbuilt Tools Raceway
at Ruapuna Park
9 – 11 December 2011

Car # Driver Hometown Vehicle Type Colour
2 Angus Fogg Auckland Ford White/Yellow
4 Simon Richards Hamilton Ford Black
5 Martin Short Hamilton Ford Silver
007 Nick Ross Cambridge Holden Red/Blue
11 Simon Evans Auckland Ford White
12 Jason Bargwanna Australia Ford Black
19 Dwayne Carter Auckland Ford Black
20 Haydn Mackenzie Auckland Ford Orange
26 Tim Edgell Auckland Ford Black
74 Ross Cameron Dunedin Holden Blue/Red

Updated 23/11
10 Cars

Albeit the list is almost two weeks old, but yikes.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 05:43 (Ref:2995387)   #163
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 entries at this stage................ no wonder MSNZ are trying to get a top up to come to timaru !! unsure why they don't run Ruapauna/Timaru /Teretonga on one ferry crossing like they used to.
saves the teams money
Old 5 Dec 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2995422)   #164
Rangi
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Rangi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
10 entries at this stage................ no wonder MSNZ are trying to get a top up to come to timaru !! unsure why they don't run Ruapauna/Timaru /Teretonga on one ferry crossing like they used to.
saves the teams money
So what cancel it Joe ??
Old 5 Dec 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2995431)   #165
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangi View Post
So what cancel it Joe ??
cancel what ?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2995454)   #166
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
there's an increase in numbers in the other classes.. so it ain't all doom and gloom.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2995659)   #167
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
there's an increase in numbers in the other classes.. so it ain't all doom and gloom.
Tier 1 is meant to represent the pinnacle of NZ motor sport with cars running for MSNZ Championships. NZV8s have been the drawcard but for whatever reason the current supporting classes are now not much better than you could find at some "normal" meetings.

There seems to be a possibility that the NZV8 entrants at Timaru could drop below the MSNZ Championship threshold of 15 entrants.

Whether it is the economic times or the impending Supertouer Series, the real concern is the future of top level MSNZ motor sport both from a participation and economic perspective.

Perhaps the Tier 1 / TMC business model is no longer appropriate in the current environment.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2995668)   #168
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
way to put the boot in Roger
Old 5 Dec 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2995685)   #169
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
remember when pinnacle of NZ motor sport was watching a BMW against a Telstar? or a lone Camaro vs a lone Corvette? we survived those days, didn't we? no GT3s and changes to TRS hurt the Pukekohe round (and no doubt others). it's pretty safe to say there won't be 30-40 NZV8's racing this year and there won't be record crowd numbers.. then again.. maybe this will be a good thing *shrugs* this might the kick in the pants the people in charge need.. to make the changes.. to improve to product.

who knows
Old 5 Dec 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2995701)   #170
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not an issue of putting the boot into one faction or another - I have no affiliation with either Supertourers or NZV8s. I'm just a non-Tier 1 competitor who holds a position with a member club that puts on circuit meetings in an increasingly tough environment.

I suppose we all subscribe to these threads because we are motor sport fans irrespective of whether we compete or spectate. The issue as I see it, is that a number of circumstances appear to be detrimentally impacting on the viability of running top level MSNZ motor sport (NZV8s / Tier 1) - we can either sit back and watch the outcome or be proactive in the interests of creating a more attractive product for the current environment.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2995709)   #171
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
so which class should be our top class then?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2995767)   #172
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's too split up.
IRC, Tier 1 (is there a Tier 2 anymore?!) V8ST, all running separate championships.
Some amalgamation needs to happen.
NZ public have always favoured Saloons, preferably modified ones with V8 engines. And now more than ever also turbos etc.
Things that look like you could build in your shed. Ie Sports sedans, SS2000 etc etc, those are the sort of things we need to focus on as the crow pullers.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2995772)   #173
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
so which class should be our top class then?
On the basis that one of Tier 1's aims is to draw spectators to circuit racing and encourage motor racing participation, I would think that some of the historic V8 saloons and F5000 could be candidates.

From what I can see, there are more entrants and more paying spectators at the likes of the Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon Festivals than at recent Tier 1 meetings - is there a message here?

The NZV8s (and I presume Supertourers) are expensive to run and thus require corporates to help pay the way. In the current economic times this sponsorship is much harder to get and it has the result of diminished entries. If we moved to a class of racing that was less dependant on sponsorship then entries may increase.

One of the concerns with NZ circuit racing is that I would think the average age of participants is progressively getting older - we are not attracting the younger drivers to join the ranks. Tier 1 is putting itself out to the public as the pinnacle of NZ motor sport - is the product sufficiently attractive to encourage new younger drivers to join the sport so they can aspire to this pinnacle?

The younger drivers these days seem more interested in Japanese cars - these are the cars they have grown up with. While most of us have an interest in American, European and Australian cars and race and promote these for racing, the "market" may be interested in something else.

I had a look in at a drift meeting a while ago - most competitors were under 30, there were a huge number of spectators and I don't think any of the cars competing were not Japanese. Are these the sort of cars where the future of NZ motor sport lies?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2995778)   #174
GizzFan
Rookie

GizzFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
On the basis that one of Tier 1's aims is to draw spectators to circuit racing and encourage motor racing participation, I would think that some of the historic V8 saloons and F5000 could be candidates.

From what I can see, there are more entrants and more paying spectators at the likes of the Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon Festivals than at recent Tier 1 meetings - is there a message here?

The NZV8s (and I presume Supertourers) are expensive to run and thus require corporates to help pay the way. In the current economic times this sponsorship is much harder to get and it has the result of diminished entries. If we moved to a class of racing that was less dependant on sponsorship then entries may increase.

One of the concerns with NZ circuit racing is that I would think the average age of participants is progressively getting older - we are not attracting the younger drivers to join the ranks. Tier 1 is putting itself out to the public as the pinnacle of NZ motor sport - is the product sufficiently attractive to encourage new younger drivers to join the sport so they can aspire to this pinnacle?

The younger drivers these days seem more interested in Japanese cars - these are the cars they have grown up with. While most of us have an interest in American, European and Australian cars and race and promote these for racing, the "market" may be interested in something else.

I had a look in at a drift meeting a while ago - most competitors were under 30, there were a huge number of spectators and I don't think any of the cars competing were not Japanese. Are it these sort of cars where the future of NZ motor sport lies?
Mate i am not attacking you when i say this but I went out to my first drift meeting a couple of weeks ago and it will certainly be my first and last visit.

I am not nocking the sheer passion these guys have for what they do, but it's a total shambles, believe me but I aint nocking them, but they will never pull big crowds, or corporate dollars.

For me its pretty simple, only a year ago we had some fairly decent racing by our own hero's the Johny Mac's, Craig Baird, kayne Scott's, Boothy, Paul Manual, plus Foggy and Edgell, in cars that though they were getting on in years were bloody fast cars and generally there was great racing.

Now that basicly all finished, so if everybody, except Foggy and edgell turn up in much faster cars that make the right sound including our own Murphy, not to mention McConville and the Mclaughan kid it just got be the right way to go, hey thats just my opinion.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2995780)   #175
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
2 non Japanese drift cars in NZ..

with a yet to be finished VE on it's way.

although.. i see D1NZ are running a Time Attack series at their rounds.. i'd say the "drift" crowd are more into the sport of drifting.. rather then the badge on the bonnet.

while i like the idea of historic V8 saloons and F5000.. wouldn't they be pushed into the too old to considered category to be the #1 class in this country? the haters out there already call the current NZV8 dinosaurs.