Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 26 Mar 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3384512)   #1
Birchieboy
Rookie

Birchieboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10/10ths newbie. Wet tyre question for trackday trophy

So I finally fulfilled my dream and got into Motorsport.

I completed 3 races last year with a aim this year to complete 5 races (budget depending)

I run r888's in the dry, but what is best to use for a wet race tyre?
The series run as a 30 min qualifying and 45 min race.
Car runs 195/55/15s. 1000kg front wheel drive.

Heard a lot of reviews from trackday drivers running street tyres in the wet, but surely there is a preference for race drivers with more experience in competitive wet track racing.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 26 Mar 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3384524)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race in a similar series, CSCC Modern Classics, with similar regs and tyres. Most don't change tyres - the whole point of List 1B tyres is that they are road legal and therefore can be used in the wet and dry. Not as good as a true "wet" I grant you but for the amount of wet races we tend to have in a season its worth the saving in stress and money not to bother.

To be honest, if the forecast is looking iffy I have a second set of new List 1Bs that I put on with full tread depth and these become my main tyres once the older set wear out.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3384528)   #3
Birchieboy
Rookie

So do you recommend your tyres in the wet? What do you use?
Just thought there might be a tyre in the 1b list that was better suited to wet conditions due to tyre compound or tread pattern etc
Old 26 Mar 2014, 09:58 (Ref:3384533)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use either Toyo 888 or Yoko A048. There may well be better tyres in the wet but for the budget conscious like you and me, its just an added expense that I can't justify.

I usually take a couple of spare tyres with me in case of a puncture (I change a pair) and these will usually have more tread on them. I keep an eye on the weather forecast and if its forecast to be wet than I'll put the set of tyres on with the most tread depth. and drive carefully, Lol.

Others will probably tell you different but maybe their budget and aspirations are different! I'll say it again; the whole point of List 1B is that you should not have to change tyres for the wet. This also saves the organisers time as if they declare a wet race they don't have to worry about racers having to change tyres on the grid and risking the timetable.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3384535)   #5
Birchieboy
Rookie

Ok thanks for your help. My thoughts were it might actually help my budget. For example a set of r888's are plus of 400 pounds. Where as a r1r or t1r are just shy of 300 for a set in my required size.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3384540)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Hi Birchieboy and welcome to 10-tenths. I'm not sure either of those tyres are what I would call proper wets and unless you are going to go to the expense of something like an extremely soft Dunlop d84j tyre (not even sure these are allowed in some series) then you're just as well using your 888s as long as they have decent tread. Don't forget you only need a proper wet tyre if you have standing water, in damp conditions you need some way of getting heat into your 888s to make them work.
I've got a set of semi wets and tbh I've never used them, the biggest problem in the UK is that, strangely enough, we don't see enough wet race days to warrant the expense, especially if you are budget conscious. Sods law dictates that what normally happens is that you go to the assembly area in the dry and the heavens will open as you form up on the grid so It's too late to change anyway. I've probably wasted more diesel and energy carting them around the UK and Europe than if I'd just bought another set of the tyres I use which are Yoko 048s
Old 26 Mar 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3384763)   #7
Birchieboy
Rookie

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll just purchase another set of r888's then or something similar in a soft conpund
Old 26 Mar 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3384850)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
048s come in different compounds by the way.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Mar 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3384938)   #9
Birchieboy
Rookie

Would be good to get some soft ad08's. but they work out about 200 pounds more expensive than I can get 888's for.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3384942)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Just have 2 sets of what you have - no need to go for a different compound, and you can then use the second set as the "main tyre" when the first set wear out and buy a new set to follow on as the stand by tyre and "wet". In my view you are making life difficult and more expensive for yourself for very limited gain.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3384976)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchieboy View Post
Would be good to get some soft ad08's. but they work out about 200 pounds more expensive than I can get 888's for.
There's probably not that much difference between 888s and 048s except I found the 888s lasted longer in a race, the 048s used to get slippery after about 10-15 minutes. I'd go for 888s if I could get them in the size I need.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3385169)   #12
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Just have 2 sets of what you have - no need to go for a different compound, and you can then use the second set as the "main tyre" when the first set wear out and buy a new set to follow on as the stand by tyre and "wet". In my view you are making life difficult and more expensive for yourself for very limited gain.
This is exactly what i do with my Fiesta on R888's, and for 99% of the time is all i need in budget club racing.