Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jul 2004, 02:50 (Ref:1040014)   #1
jimmycourier
Racer

jimmycourier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kim jones and formula ford

from a press release just on v8supecars.com. Kim Jones is jumping into a formula ford on the weekend and racing for Wodonga Tafe. Good work Kim, best of luck to the team!
Old 19 Jul 2004, 03:15 (Ref:1040020)   #2
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
must be the wide bodied variety.

have a go Kim
Old 19 Jul 2004, 07:10 (Ref:1040065)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Bit of background on this for you.

Wodonga Tafe run a motorsports class for people who want to be engineers , BJR were (and obviously still are) involved in the venture and promising students often went along to v8 meetings with BJR and helped out gaining experience along the way.

The Tafe then purchased a Formula Ford and ran it pretty well with a young guy whom I cant remember his name now , but he was a member of my kart club.
now Kim is getting behind the wheel to have a run , will be interesting to see how he goes
Old 19 Jul 2004, 08:48 (Ref:1040122)   #4
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is he racing at? He is not a small fella, maybe there is a future in FF for me!
Old 19 Jul 2004, 09:11 (Ref:1040143)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I would say Winton , thats where the Formula Ford's are this weekend and its close to home base for the team and Kim.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1040163)   #6
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
I think they are at Oran too. And I would have thought he would be a little busy this weekend though?

I guess not?

I will never forget Kimmy hip deep in a drain at Bathurst on Wednesday a few years ago trying to unblock it and get the H2O out of his garage!
Old 19 Jul 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1040203)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this fair dinkum as I cannot find any reference to it on either the V8 or BJR websites....................
Old 19 Jul 2004, 10:37 (Ref:1040204)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From Racetime....

Formula Ford
Jul 19 2004
KIM JONES BACK IN THE HOT SEAT

2004 Ford Racing Australian Formula Ford Championship Round Five Winton Raceway, Benalla VIC.
23 - 25 July, 2004.

KIM JONES BACK IN THE HOT SEAT

Ozemail Racing's V8 Supercar team boss Kim Jones will be strapping himself into a Formula Ford, to contest round five of the Ford Racing Australian Formula Ford Championship at Winton Raceway in Victoria this weekend.

Jones, whose last driving stint was behind the wheel of a Mitsubishi Mirage four years ago, is looking forward to the challenge of mixing it with some of Australia's brightest driving talent.

“It's been a while since I've been behind the wheel in a competitive environment so I have no illusions of grandeur … but the guys have put together a fantastic car, so I suppose anything is possible,” Kim Jones said.

Jones will be racing a Van Diemen RF04 which has been built by Motorsport Training Australia students at the Wodonga College of TAFE.

“This weekend is about showcasing the excellent work done by the students of Motorsport Training Australia and giving them the opportunity to really experience what it is like, and what it takes, to put together a competitive race package.

“At Winton, the guys will be able to show off their hard work to their local supporters, while gaining the required experience for an entry into next year's Australian Grand Prix which will hopefully open more doors for them in the future,” the Albury local concluded.

Another Albury local hopeful of another good weekend, is Sonic Racing's David Reynolds who is currently running third in the championship, just
28 points behind leader Brett Francis. Reynolds collected a bag of points at the last round in Queensland thanks to some aggressive, yet level-headed racing.

Winton is Sonic Racing's home track, and should help not only Reynolds, but teammates James Small and Bryce Washington. After a promising start, Washington and Small have fallen by the wayside in recent rounds, victims of both human and mechanical hiccups.

Borland Racing's Tim Macrow is another who will be feeling right at home, and will also be out to stamp his authority on the championship this weekend.
Currently in second place, Macrow trails by just 20 points, and like Sonic's drivers, will be using his home track knowledge to get a jump on Queenslander Francis.

Another familiar family name racing this weekend is 17 year-old James Davison, grandson of four-time Australian Grand Prix winner Lex, and cousin to Carrera Cup pilot Alex, and F1 hopeful Will. This will be James' first national level competition outing in a Formula Ford.

Do you fancy yourself as the next Schumacher, Webber or Montoya? Well thanks to U-Drive Performance Cars and the Formula Ford Association, you now have the chance the experience all the speed, power and adrenaline of a Race-bred Formula Ford. All you have to do is visit www.formulaford.com.au and fill out the online entry form and you could be strapping yourself into a Formula Ford for the thrill of a lifetime!

Your prize will include a 5 hour introductory Formula Ford driving course, comprising 25 laps over three driving sessions, a full safety briefing, expert tuition throughout the course from real race drivers, all safety equipment, as well as lunch and photos of your special day out.

Graduates from the Formula Ford class include Formula 1 world champions Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna, and Mika Hakkinen. Introduced to Australia in 1969, Formula Ford is the accepted proving ground for the nation's champions, on a local and international level, and has produced champions such as Mark Webber, Craig Lowndes and Marcos Ambrose.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jul 2004, 10:37 (Ref:1040206)   #9
jimmycourier
Racer

jimmycourier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was on the press release for ford on v8s. Down the bottom under formula ford heading
Old 19 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1040802)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
David Reynolds , thats the other guy , he is a pretty good steerer too.

thanks for the press release GTR
Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1040851)   #11
Brock
Rookie

Brock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a big bloke will he fit into it ok
Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1040854)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.

FFords are surprisingly roomy.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 01:17 (Ref:1040890)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
he is a pretty big bloke KB , im sure once he is in he will be fine.

Im looking forward to seeing how he goes , Im heading down for Saturday and they have a race so I will be watching with interest.

Ive raced (well sort of , practiced against at least) Kim in karts and he is not a bad steerer , quick through the corners but I can blow him away down the straight (but I only weight 65kg's )
Old 20 Jul 2004, 06:52 (Ref:1040947)   #14
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how many other teams are (genuinely) putting things back into the sport at base level.

Well done Kim, Brad and BJR.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 06:58 (Ref:1040951)   #15
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
HMMMMM, I think that the BJR guys know what side of the bread is buttered! First choice on the promising young techos out of the system, plus some free work by the guys while they are on work experience at the BJR shed.

Still I guess its better than erecting a bigger fence at their workshop
Old 20 Jul 2004, 07:14 (Ref:1040957)   #16
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good point dog,
i like transperancy
Old 20 Jul 2004, 11:26 (Ref:1041116)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
they freely admit that , thats one reson they got involved , more hands for less money always a good choice
Old 20 Jul 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1041125)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
they freely admit that , thats one reson they got involved , more hands for less money always a good choice
Which works wonders when there are greyheaded fellows showing the younger ones the ways of the world....
Old 20 Jul 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1041339)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep us posted with how they get on...
Old 21 Jul 2004, 07:01 (Ref:1041884)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Its been going for a few years now already KB , not sure if any of the young engineers the program has produced have gone onto bigger and better things (we all know engineers dont get mentioned that much) but they have being doing a fairly good job in Formula Ford with David Reynolds so far.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 02:05 (Ref:1044077)   #21
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
14 seconds off the pace in the 1st practice session.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:50 (Ref:1044146)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
still last in 2nd practice but definately improving he is now only 7 seconds off the leader and within 3 tenths of his nearest competitor.

well done Kim (can you imagine it in the pits , See Brad thats how you improve your lap times between sessions , Got it ????)

Last edited by marcus; 23 Jul 2004 at 05:50.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1044363)   #23
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he carries on improving from session to session like he has been today he will be on pole tomorrow.
Would love to see him get out of the car within 5 secs though.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1044369)   #24
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car apparently is owned by the local TAFE and they needed a driver for the week-end.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1044371)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A lucky TAFE to have $50k+ to buy a FF.....