Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Jan 2000, 01:24 (Ref:4975)   #1
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know any details, but I saw on Speedvision that Richard Petty, Kyle Petty, and Adam Petty will team together to race the 24 Hours of Daytona. That must be some kind of first.
Old 17 Jan 2000, 02:32 (Ref:4976)   #2
JUDGE
Rookie

JUDGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe a first on the other side of the pond,but in the UK a few years back Martin Brundell,his brother Robin and their father raced in the 24hr saloon event at Snetterton.
Now there is bound to be a family who has raced together before this but this is the one i saw

[This message has been edited by JUDGE (edited 17 January 2000).]
Old 17 Jan 2000, 02:37 (Ref:4977)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
How old is mr Petty these days???

and Martin Blundell????
was that Mark Blundell or Martin Brundle Judge??
Old 17 Jan 2000, 09:00 (Ref:4978)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was Brundle.

He had a major saloon car career before F1.

British Touring Cars in 1980 for Audi would you believe.

Team mate to Stirling Moss.
Old 17 Jan 2000, 14:12 (Ref:4979)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
No I didnt know that about him at all..would have been great to see Martin in a touring car...didnt he actually start out in speedway???

anyway as for the Petty family having a go...why not they have proved themselves in Nascar but it will be interesting to see how they go turning right for a change..Ive seen a few races with this young Adam guy and think he is very good and has a big future ahead of him..but I guess having a famous dad and an even famous Grandfather helps doesnt it?
Old 24 Jan 2000, 01:23 (Ref:4980)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Believe I remember that Mario, Michael and John Andretti competed in a race together once. Don't remember which race though.
Old 24 Jan 2000, 05:50 (Ref:4981)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that Mario, Michael, and John Andretti all shared a GT drive at the Rolex 24 about 10 years ago. If the Petty's manage to pull off more than just a token appearance it will be a big boost to the Grand Am series. The Petty name still carries beaucoup weight among the NASCAR circles.
Old 25 Jan 2000, 14:53 (Ref:4982)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Im pretty sure that the Andrettis have competed at Le man in the past together.
Old 25 Jan 2000, 15:43 (Ref:4983)   #9
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to speedvision.com, ORECA has entered four cars for the Daytona race: Nos. 91, 92, 93, and 43. Hmmm. I still think that this is nothing but a publicity stunt, it will never happen, and I can't believe anyone actually thinks this is going to happen. Well, since Bill France owns both NASCAR and the Grand-Am, who knows? I would much rather see Dale Jr., Gordon, and Stewart in a 'Vette.

I think I heard somewhere that the Andrettis (Mario, Michael and John) won the Rolex 24 in 1989 or 1990, and that Mario and Michael finished 2nd at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1982(?).
Old 26 Jan 2000, 22:27 (Ref:4984)   #10
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My point actually was that this is the first time that 3 generations have race together on a team. All of those others mentioned were brothers (cousins) and their father. This is the first grandfather/father/son team.

I should clarify the common misconception that stock car drivers only know how to turn left. Stock car drivers have been road racing for over 20 years. Granted, it is not their specialty. But the 24 Hours of Daytona is raced on a track that half of it uses a track that they are all very familiar with.

[This message has been edited by Redneck (edited 26 January 2000).]