Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 18 Aug 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2270849)   #26
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It truely was a fab day yesterday if not a little red in the face from what i now can feel is sunburn and wind burn.

Pity about the rain for the last three run in the run offs.

A huge congrat to Jodie... well done, a well deserved award.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2270850)   #27
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
It truely was a fab day yesterday if not a little red in the face from what i now can feel is sunburn and wind burn.

Old 18 Aug 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2270862)   #28
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006

Is it me or is there an echo?

As for the rain I think that affected Martin's run more than the previous two, as it was coming down far heavier at the bottom of the hill when he came to the line. I think with the drop in temperature there would have been little chance of another run inside the old hill record. So with just Gurston, Prescott, Loton & Doune to go Martin really has to win every round and set at least two more hill records!

Old 18 Aug 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2270904)   #29
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Oh yes definately... got used to repeating myself this weekend... I can tell you.

I must say a huge thankyou to Chris for his support of the Top Paddock this weekend. Most appreciated.

The weather was awful by the time Jos was released at the start, at top paddock. Martin was shaken to say the least when he got to us... said how slippery it was throughout the esses.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2270918)   #30
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was astounding to see him get the car almost backwards, come to a near stop and still finish 6th with a time only just outside 24 seconds. In the upper part of the hill he did appear to get the worst of the conditions as although it was raining I don't think the Esses were really getting very slippery before his run. It was a great shame at all as we were debating the possibility of the record dropping under 25½ all afternoon. The astonishing thing about the record was that it didn't look like one on the way up. Incredibly smooth and controlled you'd have said it was slow if you hadn't seen the clock.

Looking forward to Gurston now.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2270956)   #31
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
I can honestly say that i didn't realise it was a record until later on... oooppsss but very well done to Martin.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2271038)   #32
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
It was astounding to see him get the car almost backwards, come to a near stop and still finish 6th with a time only just outside 24 seconds. In the upper part of the hill he did appear to get the worst of the conditions as although it was raining I don't think the Esses were really getting very slippery before his run. It was a great shame at all as we were debating the possibility of the record dropping under 25½ all afternoon. The astonishing thing about the record was that it didn't look like one on the way up. Incredibly smooth and controlled you'd have said it was slow if you hadn't seen the clock.

Looking forward to Gurston now.
At the bottom part of the hill (Kennel & Crossing) Martin looked like a man on a mission. He was so tight into the bank on the left hander of Crossing that another millimetre and he would have hit it! He was a lot quicker thro' the speed trap as well!

I suspect that the championship may well be decided before Gurston as I understand that a certain Yellow Gould will not be there!

Old 18 Aug 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2271193)   #33
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not entirely surprised, but a great shame nonetheless. It's been a fantastic battle between Scott and Martin for three years and it will be a pity not to see it fought all the way to the end.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2271228)   #34
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
It would be a terrible shame if he did not turn up and fight it out til the end xx
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2271235)   #35
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Well, here is Martin, at Bottom Ess, on that record breaking run...
Attached Thumbnails
Shelsley_Walsh_9.jpg  
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2271242)   #36
biker mart
Rookie

England
Worcestershire
biker mart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
He was a lot quicker thro' the speed trap as well!
talking to Martin after he said he made 145mph on his telematry at ess approach!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2271456)   #37
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker mart
talking to Martin after he said he made 145mph on his telematry at ess approach!
Eddie the Eagle gave it as 137mph which I thought was stunning - 145mph is just incredible!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2271461)   #38
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a well known fact that the speed trap figures are always lower than those quoted by on board data loggers....

As for which is correct
Old 19 Aug 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2271482)   #39
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
The speed trap is no longer the fastest point, of course, since they're still accelerating now. I believe last year his terminal speed was 148.2, so down a touch on that, probably made for better mid-corner speed? Only the dataloggers can tell us that for certain.

The hospitality unit at Bottom Ess was much appreciated. You'll note I'm not partaking and am keeping a watchful eye on the approaching traffic!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2271877)   #40
Alistair
Rookie

Alistair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watchful eye on traffic?

Alistair
Old 20 Aug 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2272124)   #41
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
LOL. Not necessarily referring to cars!

And welcome to the forum, Alistair. Another one we're going to have to watch for caption competitions!
Old 20 Aug 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2272163)   #42
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
For those who may be interested, some pix from Shelsley on Sunday are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7606836429284/
Including the Ceremonial Passing Of The Cakes at Bottom 'S'...

More will be added, once I sort out which ones I took, and which ones belong to my lad.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2272226)   #43
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, a very enjoyable weekend. Well done to all those who collected awards and records over the two days.

I on the other hand will now be known as Hudini, following the escape from my van. Thanks to Mike Tregoning and the GW Jr for the loan of tools to aid my escape. Apart from that, I took a few highlights away from the weekend; the new hill record, the stunning Ferrari 246 Dino and Mazza 250F, having my photo taken with Murry Walker was probably one of the best moments as well as the superb Spitfire display during the unfortunately short break.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2272359)   #44
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Including the Ceremonial Passing Of The Cakes at Bottom 'S'...
It's funny, when you're down there and involved with what's going on, it's very easy to forget that the crowd is watching you as well!

Nice little sequence of John Ryder's lawn mowing efforts. Very pleased to see you didn't get any evidence of me with a sweeping brush.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2272396)   #45
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Oh, but I do have those pictures... HEHEHEHEHE.

Your comment re working, and not noticing the crowd, takes me back to the Motorcycle GP in 1982. We had a TV crew from France on post with us, and one of the guys turned his back to the track, and peed on the catch fencing. In front of several thousand people...
Old 21 Aug 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2272817)   #46
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Nice little sequence of John Ryder's lawn mowing efforts. Very pleased to see you didn't get any evidence of me with a sweeping brush.

You missed the end of that sentence, which should read "over my shoulder"

Thanks to Chris and everyone for making us northerners so welcome down there in the Malverns, shame it is such a long journey or we would be there everytime. Sorry we had to scoot but it was still 9pm when we got home.

Alistair, where is THAT photo? you know which one I mean.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2272958)   #47
Tim Hull
Racer

Tim Hull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMil
Thanks to Chris and everyone for making us northerners so welcome down there in the Malverns, shame it is such a long journey or we would be there everytime. Sorry we had to scoot but it was still 9pm when we got home.
It was good to see you all again. Shame the weather was so awful on the Saturday evening.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2273191)   #48
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
It really was a shame it was so bad... still managed to be in bed by 1030 which is a novelty for me at a hill climb xx