Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Apr 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3394765)   #276
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm going to support those providing coverage of the race for free. I will drink a beer, mow the lawn and listen to RLM.

I am allowed to do that, right?
Pretty sure this was my strategy for every WEC race I happened to know was running last year.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 06:34 (Ref:3394783)   #277
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
iirc it was either onboard only or then just copy of the official WEC stream.

It was a copy of the official stream and it was free indeed . That's why I loved it so much. Plus Audi covered N24 also that year which was much appreciated. Mute the German commentary, have RLM playing. Bliss
Old 19 Apr 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3394789)   #278
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Are you talking about simply using moblie browser to access the pc platform?

Very likely uses Flash.
Last years Dailymotion stream didn't use flash. So I don't see why they would be using that, most of the companies are moving away from that crappy piece of software called flash and are using h264 as a codec as most browsers have the capabilities to run that efficiently.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3394802)   #279
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is still possible to access live timing without paying anything (at least in the PC):

http://members.fiawec.com/
Old 19 Apr 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3394816)   #280
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
The final straw for me will be if the respected media outlets (DSC, Racer.com etc) do not go to town on this one like they did at Sebring.
Depends on how much they affiliate themselves with the series. None of them, including Radio Le Mans, are directly working with USCC so they can (rightly) bash them all the wish, but with WEC it's kinda different. RLM is obviously staying quiet and ignoring the whole discussion, would think that DSC as well seeing as Graham Goodwin is regular commentator for the broadcasts...

I guess Racer.com should have more opiniated views, but Marshall is more focused on US racing.

As for sportscar365.com, John Dagys has always been pro-WEC even in the most darkest times so I doubt there's much coming out of there. Recent twitter messages seem to support this
Old 19 Apr 2014, 09:03 (Ref:3394831)   #281
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have MotorsTV, so i'm okay - but if I didn't I still wouldn't pay. The timing is simply appalling, it's has been ill thought and badly implemented. Which gives me no confidence in those running/ promoting the WEC; Which will remain a niche Motorsport series for diehards only. I thought the WRC was the only FiA series capable of shooting itself in the foot - it seems not.

How many countries have mainstream free to air TV coverage?? That will tell you how big the series is/ or isn't.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3394835)   #282
Azy
Rookie

Azy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If MotorsTV will be broadcast by all races then problem solved. There will always be some MotorsTV stream
Old 19 Apr 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3394838)   #283
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azy View Post
If MotorsTV will be broadcast by all races then problem solved. There will always be some MotorsTV stream
Yes but forcing people to go look after illegal streams (especially those outside Motors TV & Eurosport range ie not in Europe) is always brilliant decision and way to attract followers

ACO wondered why nobody showed up for their lame little Tilkedrome Austin race last year when there was no TV deal anywhere in North America. Well I can't see how exactly this year is going to make the difference (okay that particular race is on Fox Sports 2 this year but nobody receives that channel and they ignore rest of the season besides LM anyway)

I guess it's still better deal than with LMS circa 2010 when there was absolutely nothing else but last 30 ish minutes of the races shown on Eurosport (take the Portimao round for example)... but that's regional series no one but diehard fans care about, this is -supposedly- world championship
Old 19 Apr 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3394846)   #284
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
don't remember seeing this masterpiece of communication on the Live first page yesterday?

"Be awarre that there is not cross platform yet.
The Purchase pack is linked to the WEB, Apple or Google account, thus there is no possible link between (OS) Operating System & WEB."
Old 19 Apr 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3394854)   #285
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

I repeat myself, where is it that says that we need to subscribe to this if we have a PC?

In the press release (http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/a-new-...-wec_1865.html), it only talks about a app for iOS/Android smartphones/tablets.

I understand that if you go to the live screen (http://www.fiawec.com/liveConnect) it ends by going to the subscription page, but up to now (FP1, 2 and 3), we were able to get live timing in the PC without having to pay anything.

At least wait for qualifying (if it is not live) before going bezerk against the ACO/FIA.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3394857)   #286
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe that the PDF file linked to your FIA WEC account when you log in gives you your invoice number in the top right corner. I was number 459 if that corresponds to how many people have paid then this indicates there is not huge uptake as of yet..
Old 19 Apr 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3394863)   #287
Deleted
Veteran

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=27810

What does success look like?
I will be sad if we don’t have some dozens of thousands in the next couple of weeks having downloaded the app and by the end of the year I would like to see around 200,000 – If we can manage that it marks a very significant uplift on what we were getting through the website last season. It’s about building an audience, not just building the knowledge of our current audience but finding a new one.”

They are out of their minds.

Also no on demand, no multi platform access, possibility for limited bandwidth, no paypal, no explanation of what extra is there. Also very lame excuse for changing their mind about free coverage
Old 19 Apr 2014, 10:56 (Ref:3394865)   #288
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that's an app-downloading expectation. But what about the subscription number they want ?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 10:57 (Ref:3394866)   #289
Azy
Rookie

Azy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have some stream!
Old 19 Apr 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3394868)   #290
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

This worries me:

Quote:
The WEC Twitter feed announced in February that live streaming would be free? (answer requested via FIA WEC PR)

“That was an error, which we are obviously very sorry about, and was issued without knowledge of the restrictions which exist over offering free versions of content that sits within a paid for app.”
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3394869)   #291
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
that's an app-downloading expectation. But what about the subscription number they want ?
Maybe he expects all the people who downloaded the app to pay... because success = only downloading the app doesn't seem logical

And as Jay says below those figures are illogical anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
I repeat myself, where is it that says that we need to subscribe to this if we have a PC?

In the press release (http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/a-new-...-wec_1865.html), it only talks about a app for iOS/Android smartphones/tablets.

I understand that if you go to the live screen (http://www.fiawec.com/liveConnect) it ends by going to the subscription page, but up to now (FP1, 2 and 3), we were able to get live timing in the PC without having to pay anything.

At least wait for qualifying (if it is not live) before going bezerk against the ACO/FIA.
What the article says +

Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3394870)   #292
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

I will be sad if we don’t have some dozens of thousands in the next couple of weeks having downloaded the app and by the end of the year I would like to see around 200,000
By the end of the year I'd like to see world peace and for every little girl to have a free pony - and I think my expectations are more reasonable in this case.

For reference the official F1 app has between 100000-500000 downloads on the play store, assuming it's a bit more on the app store (can anyone on iOS provide a figure for this?) and it's still barely 1,000,000 for the most popular motorsport worldwide. 200000 in the first year for the WEC app is utterly unreasonable.

Edit: If we assume Fillion and Neveu aren't talking out of their backsides, then this brilliant money-making scheme was thought up/developed in no more than seven weeks (Feb 25th - April 18th).

Last edited by J Jay; 19 Apr 2014 at 11:06.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3394871)   #293
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"No live are available now (sic). Come back a few minutes before the race" says the app.

But the good old sign up and don't pay trick still works on http://members.fiawec.com/;)
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3394872)   #294
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where is JAG Le Mans to shill for the series when they need him most?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3394873)   #295
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I'm watching live video streaming and timing on my pc.....
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3394875)   #296
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
"No live are available now (sic). Come back a few minutes before the race" says the app.

But the good old sign up and don't pay trick still works on http://members.fiawec.com/;)
wohoo and i see video
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3394877)   #297
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Well, you can still go around this (says something about the security of the site!)

Go to http://members.fiawec.com/

Click on signup, fill the details. Then it opens the payment site.

Close it, go to http://members.fiawec.com/ and see the live coverage (live timing, pictures and RLM commentary on the background ).
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3394878)   #298
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

I will be sad if we don’t have some dozens of thousands in the next couple of weeks having downloaded the app and by the end of the year I would like to see around 200,000 – If we can manage that it marks a very significant uplift on what we were getting through the website last season. It’s about building an audience, not just building the knowledge of our current audience but finding a new one.”

They are out of their minds.

Also no on demand, no multi platform access, possibility for limited bandwidth, no paypal, no explanation of what extra is there. Also very lame excuse for changing their mind about free coverage

5-10,000 viewers on Dailymotion last year
62,000 Facebook fans
Non-Le Mans attendance 5-35,000

Where is the 200,000 number coming from.? Are these clowns living in some kind of a fantasy land?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3394879)   #299
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
Well, you can still go around this (says something about the security of the site!)

Go to http://members.fiawec.com/

Click on signup, fill the details. Then it opens the payment site.

Close it, go to http://members.fiawec.com/ and see the live coverage (live timing, pictures and RLM commentary on the background ).
Thanks.

Such amazing software programming by the ACO.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3394880)   #300
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am doing the same here.