Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Apr 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1892264)   #1
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic - Dusk race

Spotted something about this in Autosport a few weeks back, and the provisional timetable for this year's Classic (http://www.silverstone.co.uk/pdf/200...able.pdf)would seem to confirm it. A race to start at 19:30 on the Saturday, finishing at 21:00. This on a day that starts at 9am. Without wishing to stir anything up, does this not seem like an extraordinarily long day for us bods? I know it's a few months off yet, so still plenty of time for details to be firmed up, but are we really expected to be on duty for the best part of 12 hours, and then be back on post again for a 9am start the next morning? I really enjoyed this meeting last year, and it is on my list of meetings volunteered for, but I have to say I may have to reconsider. Has anyone heard anything else about this?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1892427)   #2
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trust me, it is worth it! We did it a few years ago at the Festival with the group C cars.
Seeing the Jags and Astons etc coming into Stowe with brakes glowing was amazing.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1892705)   #3
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with ADStubbs, it is very long day and I have alreadt written to HSCC about it. Graham White has told me that Silverstone Circuits Limited have laid down the timetable and the programme. I have also written to SCL but still await the reply.

Robin, the late night race is not for Gp.C cars, it is for older Sports & GT cars
like Lotus Elans & 23's, Marcos GT, Chevron B8 etc.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1892770)   #4
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even better I say Bob! If it was just one day it isn't too bad but as alot of us will do 3 days then it is a fair old chunk.

Reminds me of the LMES.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1892777)   #5
paul leedham
Racer

England
Grimsby
paul leedham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess this means late night friday as well for dark qualifying, but not complaining
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1893123)   #6
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are some stand down times, so it shouldn't seem such a long day. Anyway, with the variety of classic machinery on display, how cares?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1893150)   #7
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
There are some stand down times, so it shouldn't seem such a long day. Anyway, with the variety of classic machinery on display, how cares?
If you study the timetable, we will be lucky if the last event starts aywhere near time, let alone get a break. The reason? No allowances for slowing down laps, shunts, recovery etc.
I shall possibly do one of the days, but not that one.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:58 (Ref:1893176)   #8
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the HSCC would consider a later start for Sunday.From a personal point of view I love the racing and the machinery this meeting attracts,but 2 hour each way trip each day and paid work Friday and Monday makes for a very long weekend.I guess those doing three days and travelling to and from may feel the same?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1893292)   #9
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finish on Friday is 6pm, there is no late qualifying as it will not be dark at 9pm in July.

Sunday racing starts at 9.25am but there is an untimed warm up at 9.00.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 21:28 (Ref:1893417)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like I had better find a pub to stop in that night! Any recommendations from locals? (Up to about 15 miles away, decent beer and as inexpensive as can be managed. ) My Silverstone local knowledge is well out of date.

Jim
Old 16 Apr 2007, 21:32 (Ref:1893420)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Green Man? There is also a travelodge not too far away. May be uber cheap if you book it now.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1893424)   #12
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Might be a Travelodge but they generally make me loose the will to live. Might just drive home.

Jim
Old 16 Apr 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1893464)   #13
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well althought though of as very long isn't very attractive buit at the same point the thought of cars i will see including group more out weighs it for me anything as i'm sheel becamping over not really botherd
Old 19 Apr 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1895841)   #14
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope to be there with caravan and beer tent, but note as do others the organisers dont seem to take into much account the needs of the marshals who volunteer (and I know we don't have to) so they better think again about breaks and stand down periods or there won't be any marshals left awake on the Sunday! (well, no more than usual anyway!) Lets hope there are sufficient numbers of marshals going so each post can organise its own breaks

Last edited by Clive; 19 Apr 2007 at 21:52.