Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Jan 2012, 05:39 (Ref:3011006)   #226
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
No other sources seem to say anything else about this. I really don't buy her story....yet.
I thought the Red Bull Racing assets were being picked over by Mr Waltrip's team partners?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jan 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3011007)   #227
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
In addition to Smithfield Foods and the U.S. Air Force, STP will sponsor Aric Almirola at some point in 2012. I'd assume a one-race deal at Kansas again.

http://www.pyramidracing.com/content...mirola-stp.jpg
It looks like the #43 was naked at the Daytona test, certainly the driving suit of the pilot was Here

Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3011120)   #228
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
During testing teams often use cars without livery.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3011460)   #229
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I thought the Red Bull Racing assets were being picked over by Mr Waltrip's team partners?

That deal actually fell through.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 03:10 (Ref:3011470)   #230
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No other sources seem to say anything else about this. I really don't buy her story....yet.
I don't either, though David Ragan says he will have an announcement Monday...
Old 14 Jan 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3011659)   #231
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and that Monday announcement may have a lot more to do with joining Front Row Motorsports to drive the #34 than anything else.

May also see Geoff Bodine on FRM in one of the other two cars for his fifteen races.

Furthermore, RCR will take the fourth car to Daytona, so the owner points of the 6 and the 33 will not be available yet (the Red Bull cars' points haven't been sold; could just move guys up if no one buys them). Either Elliott Sadler or Brian Vickers will likely drive the 33. Neither team plans to compete for the full season; both are just for the 500 and nothing more, though the RCR fourth car is likely to run a small number of races later in the year with Austin Dillon if nothing else.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3011791)   #232
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Yeah. There's a reason that noone takes that reporter seriously.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 06:44 (Ref:3011794)   #233
ProfessorFrye
Rookie

United States
Minnesota
ProfessorFrye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm very happy that pack racing seems like it may return for the 500, tandem racing did have good finishes, but the racing up to that point was rather bland.

Also, first post, yay!!!
Old 15 Jan 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3011799)   #234
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Yeah. There's a reason that noone takes that reporter seriously.
And presumably why Jayski shares links from many many sources, to allow the reader to make up their own minds...
Old 15 Jan 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3011954)   #235
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorFrye View Post
Also, first post, yay!!!
Welcome, ProfessorFrye! A nice place to hang out.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3011973)   #236
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorFrye View Post
I'm very happy that pack racing seems like it may return for the 500, tandem racing did have good finishes, but the racing up to that point was rather bland.
Hi, Professor!

It's surely clear from the testing that a single car is slower than a pack which in turn is slower than a tandem draft. What is so wrong about plate racing is that any muppet can lead, and win, the race, which doesn't really start until the last twenty laps. Up to that point, it's simply a question of not getting caught up in a wreck.

Talking of wrecks, NASCAR's rule adjustments in an attempt to nullify tandem drafting will cause more of them, as when one has three lines of two running side-by-side, and the second car in each tandem has to pull out of line every two laps or so to avoid overheating, incidental contact will inevitably occur.

Good ol' NASCAR.... couldn't find its own arse in the dark if it searched for it with both hands!
Old 16 Jan 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3012131)   #237
ProfessorFrye
Rookie

United States
Minnesota
ProfessorFrye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Welcome, ProfessorFrye! A nice place to hang out.
Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Hi, Professor!
Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

Quote:
Good ol' NASCAR.... couldn't find its own arse in the dark if it searched for it with both hands!
I'm not sure if they could even find the other hand.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 15:08 (Ref:3012347)   #238
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97045

Car-to-car radio banned. Of all the things they've done to break up tandem drafting, this might be their best shot yet. I'm all in favour of it, I hate it when drivers get much stuff to fiddle around with apart from the actual driving (eg F1, with DRS & KERS plus all the usual stuff).
Old 16 Jan 2012, 17:32 (Ref:3012434)   #239
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
They're trying, but it's still not working. Every change creates more things they need to fix.

It's a damn shame really. The Daytona 500 is the biggest race in the entire country, and in terms of worldwide TV audience, it is behind only the 19 Formula One events (ahead of all the MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Indy 500, etc. stuff; admittedly, that "worldwide audience" figure is only a few thousand or so more people than the U.S. one, but still). An event this big should be a great race, and I find it really sad that we're all willing to accept pack racing as the biggest race of the year only because it's not as boring as the tandem stuff.

I know they want to keep the body common for EVERY type of circuit to save money, but I wish they could find some way to safely run a "normal" race at Daytona or Talladega, such as they do on the other big speedways like Michigan and Fontana, which for all their criticisms, have actually had exciting races.

Oh well.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3012448)   #240
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR have already implicitly given up on the common body principle, as they have altered the spoiler and that dumb-looking shark fin thing for the Daytona tests.

All that has really been achieved in the tests is the sure and certain knowledge that a single car is slower than a pack is slower than a tandem draft....

The end of the 2012 500 will inevitably see two- or three-wide tandem pairings diving for the line. The tandem drafting pairs at the denoument of the race could last for five laps, as it doesn't matter if your engine fails after the chequered flag....

Last edited by Clive Brown; 16 Jan 2012 at 18:17.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 06:27 (Ref:3012679)   #241
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Here's FRM's Lineup. Ragan in the 34, Gilliland in the 38. Also, Jay Robinson will move his team to Cup in addition to their full time operation in NNS. They will use the 28 in both series, switch to Toyota, and will use multiple drivers.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3014651)   #242
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Busch brothers share car in Nationwide.
Backing from Monster.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3014702)   #243
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Go Green and Turn One move to Cup.

Does anyone not own a Cup team now?
Old 20 Jan 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3014705)   #244
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Should also mention that HP Racing, formerly PRiSM, formerly MSRP, is now Phil Parsons Racing, a Ford team that has funding to not start and park in the first five races.

I miss the old days when Parsons denied he even owned the team, now his name's on it.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3014732)   #245
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Go Green and Turn One move to Cup.

Does anyone not own a Cup team now?
Me
Old 21 Jan 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3015033)   #246
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Phil Parsons Racing has merged with Whitney Motorsports, hence the switch to Ford. Two start and park teams uniting as one! How beautiful.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3015083)   #247
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jacques Villeneuve close to a deal Go Canada Racing with and ten race nationwide series.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3016215)   #248
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Joe Gibbs Racing Nationwide lineup: Brian Scott full-time in the 11. The 18 will also be full-time, with the 20 part-time. Those rides will be split among Joey Logano and Denny Hamlin for the bulk of the races. Michael McDowell and Darrell Wallace, Jr. will each drive an amount of races in the single digits; as of right now, Mark Martin will race just one, at Las Vegas.

In my personal opinion, they have done a good job assembling a lineup of complete jerks, even in the absence of their captain Kyle Busch.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3017069)   #249
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Correction: Ryan Truex will also run a small number of races with JGR, reminded of that by this:

Ryan Blaney will be joined by Ryan Truex and Bobby Santos as Tommy Baldwin Racing Nationwide drivers; with Truex running the season-opener at Daytona and Santos taking the wheel for the July race at that track.

Those are three of the most talented kids out there. Not sure Blaney is fully ready for Nationwide, but he can drive. Truex has shown what he can do already, too, and Santos...I've been watching him for a decade now and I've never seen anyone as good as he was racing midgets and modifieds and all those cars. Good kart racer, too.

Huge kudos to Tommy for giving real, good, young drivers a shot at this stuff. I know Blaney and Truex have some backing behind them (Santos has none), but still. His loyalty to Santos after getting him set up at Bill Davis Racing has been admirable.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3017072)   #250
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Loose ends from the Camping World Truck Series:

Ward Burton and his son Jeb will share a truck this year. Ward at Daytona, Jeb for the rest of the season.

Mike Skinner is the likely driver of the third Eddie Sharp Racing truck; Justin Lofton and Cale Gale will drive the other two.

Jason White has purchased his own truck team for next year. His sponsor is GunBroker.com.