Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Sep 2007, 12:49 (Ref:2002568)   #1
Robert_R
Rookie

Robert_R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheel sizes in Historic Technical Passports

I have applied for a HTP for my 1965 Brabham BT15 at our german motorsport authority, the DMSB.

Regarding the wheel sizes, I tried to get two sizes entered in the HTP:

1. The original Brabham wheels currently on my car (7x13" front, 9x13" rear). These wheels are probably more than 40 years old.

2. In addition, the sizes which are commonly used in historic F3 today, for example the Historic F3 1000cc European Trophy or the German Open series (8x13" front, 10x13" rear), using the AVON tires laid down by the regulations. My idea was to get a set of new wheels in this size (e.g. Revolution wheels) for actual racing, simply for safety reasons.

The DMSB, six months after I sent them my complete application form, now asked me if I could bring a proof that this larger size has been used between 1965 and 1970 on a BT15 in any international race. Otherwise they wouldn't accept this size. Do you think there is a chance to get such evidence? Or does it make more sense simply to stick to the 7 and 9 inch wheels for the HTP, rather than fiddling around with the DMSB/FIA?

Thank you and best regards,
Robert
Old 3 Sep 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2002608)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
is the Historic F3 European Trophy a good series?
Old 3 Sep 2007, 13:51 (Ref:2002619)   #3
Robert_R
Rookie

It certainly is. The only problem is that they still struggle to attract enough owners for a F3-only grid. Until today they are forced to share the grid with other non-winged formulae of similar performance, like FJunior or FFord. Hopefully the 1000cc screamers will become more popular in the future.

Their website is www.f3historic.com

Robert
Old 3 Sep 2007, 13:55 (Ref:2002621)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_R
It certainly is. The only problem is that they still struggle to attract enough owners for a F3-only grid. Until today they are forced to share the grid with other non-winged formulae of similar performance, like FJunior or FFord. Hopefully the 1000cc screamers will become more popular in the future.

Their website is www.f3historic.com

Robert
I really like the F3 screamers but as you said there is not enough out there to play - goodness knows where they have all ended up, its a form of single seater I would consider
Old 3 Sep 2007, 15:10 (Ref:2002702)   #5
Brendan Roberts
Rookie

Brendan Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be prudent to have papers that match the spec of the car, particularly in Germany where the powers that be tend to be very unsympathetic to small disparities............So I suggest that you track down Ted Walker who is not only a Brabham registrar but the man behind Ferret Photographics and may be able to help you find evidence if it exists to support your desired wheel sizes. ted@ferret1.co.uk, or 0044 1453 543243.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 06:45 (Ref:2010814)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See if you can find any pictures of car 70 (René-Pierre Alié) at Brands 19-10-69. It was just about the last appearance of a BT15 at an internaional race, and, I am sure that it would have been updated with wider wheels by that time.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 16:03 (Ref:2011314)   #7
Robert_R
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Roberts
It would be prudent to have papers that match the spec of the car, particularly in Germany where the powers that be tend to be very unsympathetic to small disparities............So I suggest that you track down Ted Walker who is not only a Brabham registrar ...
Thank you, Brendan. I wrote a message to Ted, but didn't receive an answer yet. Let's see if he can help.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 16:10 (Ref:2011331)   #8
Robert_R
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan
See if you can find any pictures of car 70 (René-Pierre Alié) at Brands 19-10-69. It was just about the last appearance of a BT15 at an internaional race, and, I am sure that it would have been updated with wider wheels by that time.
Hi Alan,

thanks for the hint to car #70 at Brands Hatch 1969. It will probably not be that easy to find such photos. But even if I should find them, I actually doubt that the FIA will accept a photo as an evidence - I assume even for real experts it isn't that easy to tell a 9'' wheel from a 10'' wheel from a photo.

Robert