Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Mar 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3627806)   #10001
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
There is still a lot of potential in this radical car and this year's Prologue actually looks much more promising than last year's. I can't wait to watch the first race of the season.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3627809)   #10002
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, not going for the quicker lap until an actual race begins is typical audi (and then setting the quickest race lap). however, it's very not audi-like to have reliability problems and with the new car, it seems they have them all the time. hopefully they manage to get this car to work properly until silverstone. so far we haven't heard anything but reliability issues about this car. no fast times, no trouble-free runs, nothing too encouraging.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 15:55 (Ref:3627810)   #10003
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It was said in the WEC thread that Porsche's and Toyota's fastest laps in each session came after 3-4 lap runs. Outside of the night practice, Audi did almost exclusively race simulation runs. Also, when Porsche and Toyota did long runs, most of their laps were in the 1:39-1:41 range. Basically what Audi were usually doing.

Besides, this is a public test, and Audi (and Toyota) have two more days of testing there. I think that if Audi are slow at Silverstone, then it's time to worry.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 17:04 (Ref:3627819)   #10004
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Photo from Audi's test today at Paul Ricard:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDdq5kDRP-U/
Old 27 Mar 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3627916)   #10005
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
It was said in the WEC thread that Porsche's and Toyota's fastest laps in each session came after 3-4 lap runs. Outside of the night practice, Audi did almost exclusively race simulation runs. Also, when Porsche and Toyota did long runs, most of their laps were in the 1:39-1:41 range. Basically what Audi were usually doing.
well, that makes sense. it gives me some hope that, at least pace-wise, the new car is competitive. toyota are already saying they don't feel they're on pace with porsche yet (and say nothing about audi), which indeed suggests they can compare, so toyota and porsche must have run some similar strategy, in terms of trying to achieve fast lap times (aka qualifying runs). audi seemingly didn't. however, reliability seems to be their main issue thus far.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 08:10 (Ref:3627975)   #10006
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe a little side note, but I was watching Truth in 24 at the weekend and it was kinda sad to see that most of the people have now moved on from their roles. All 9 drivers have since retired from Audi LMP racing and H has moved on too. Even from Truth in 24 2, 6 of the drivers no longer race Audi LMPs and the rumors were that Lena Gade will be moving on too.

For me, the Audi magical era has finished unfortunately!
Old 28 Mar 2016, 16:09 (Ref:3628075)   #10007
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well if you think about it, Truth 24 was eight years ago, and if in 2008 you would have looked back eight years from then, it'd had been 2000 and the LM debut win with R8. In very different team... we all get old!
Old 28 Mar 2016, 16:57 (Ref:3628091)   #10008
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
For me, the true magical era ended when Audi retired the R10 and restarted when the brought in the R18. A ton of the guys who worked with Audi Sport Team Joest and ASNA/Champion Racing were around in the R8 era. But with the R18 came change with the current Audi "dream team" being enlisted and winning LM first time out in the R18, with the second era "dream team" nearing the end of their LMP racing careers.

A lot of the guys at Audi Sport now, including Dr. Ullrich, are near, at or (in Dr. Ullrich's case) technically past retirement age. In some ways, the past decade in a half does feel just like yesterday, and sometimes, eons ago. Even Brad Kettler, who's been to almost every LM24 since 2001 at least, won't be at LM this year, at least as part of a race team. From people that I've talked to who have some inside knowledge at Audi, Brad semi-retired after LM last year and now focuses on running Audi Sport Customer Racing's NA branch.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3628093)   #10009
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But you still get to see many familiar faces in the garage, what with the "brand ambassador" and other guest PR roles many of the old drivers and personnel have at LM.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 10:01 (Ref:3628333)   #10010
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting article in the latest issue of French magazine AutoHebdo. The Audi drivers are very positive about the new car's potential and do not appear to be worried at all.

I am really looking forward to this new season. Toyota appear to be back in the mix and this will surely lead to even more fascinating races.

I love this car. It's really fascinating to look at the aerodynamic solution at the front. BTW, this is probably the best picture I have seen so far which best highlights all visible details at the front:

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 29 Mar 2016 at 10:13.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 15:20 (Ref:3628422)   #10011
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It'll be fast, but the cockpit area looks horrible. Reminds me of previous gen daytona prototypes with it "sitting on top" of the car instead of being a part of it. That's partially the fault of the new regulations. Hopefully 2018 is more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 17:24 (Ref:3628462)   #10012
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
That'll only work if the rules lower the roof height max back to 1030mm and encourage "true" fastback rooflines like the pre 2014 R18 and TS030 had.

There's also some good HQ pics on Vision Sports Agency, but you need to have an account and probably work for some publication (print or online) to get the photos, and even then, you probably gotta pay for the non-watermarked HQ photos.

At least Audi Media Center has good HQ pics in medium and large (read: very large and extra large even on a 17 inch laptop screen!) where you can make out details like the VGs in the brake duct intakes.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3628489)   #10013
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It'll be fast, but the cockpit area looks horrible. Reminds me of previous gen daytona prototypes with it "sitting on top" of the car instead of being a part of it. That's partially the fault of the new regulations. Hopefully 2018 is more aesthetically pleasing.
Agree fully.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 18:55 (Ref:3628492)   #10014
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Probably the best photo I've seen so far of the front end aero on the R18:
Attached Thumbnails
25494266533_619603470d_o.jpg  
Old 29 Mar 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3628500)   #10015
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

WhatIsWatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hy guys,
I compiled a small diagram of the LMP1-H laptimes from Saturday (due to this being the only day where all three teams ran high-downforce aero).
The laptimes have been sorted lowest to highest and show a nice overview over the current situation, although no one knows who did how much sand bagging. I will do another diagram which only contains longer runs.

Old 29 Mar 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3628514)   #10016
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

As promised here comes the same diagram as before but only including laptimes of sequences with more than 4 laps in a row and excluding obvious qualifying runs (sequences of cool down and fast laps).

This draws a clearer image about the competitiveness, but again it of course lacks the knowledge about what exactly those guys were up to.
If Audi did not sandbagg and Porsche did then Audi is in big trouble. If it is the other way round then Silverstone could be a very interesting race to watch.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3628517)   #10017
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

My post including all laptimes not only the long runs had a broken image link. So here is the diagram that I wanted to show in my first post:
Old 29 Mar 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3628522)   #10018
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Probably the best photo I've seen so far of the front end aero on the R18:
Interesting pic. The front aero is very F1 driven. The first pair of turning vanes seem to be attached in a curved shape on the the high nose. I see also a central air divider under the nose. The second pair seems to be close to the front fender, while the third pair is attached to the brake ducts.

Very interesting layout but looks also more draggy compared to Porsche and Toyota
Old 30 Mar 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3628622)   #10019
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatIsWatt View Post
My post including all laptimes not only the long runs had a broken image link. So here is the diagram that I wanted to show in my first post:
Call me stupid, but what does x axis represent? Number of laps?

It's interesting, but did any team confirmed that they ran a race simulation?
Old 30 Mar 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3628641)   #10020
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatIsWatt View Post
And what does this tell about Toyota's overall performance ? It looks like the diagrams suggest that the Toyota was the least consistent car at the Prologue compared to Porsche and Audi.

As far as Audi is concerned, and considering that they were actually faster at the Porlogue than last year's, I am not too worried about their performance at Silverstone. Porsche will likely have the edge during qualifying practice but the race promises great entertainment.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:50 (Ref:3628761)   #10021
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Another pic of the front end:
Attached Thumbnails
12888592_10154111528565159_5705357354058222862_o.jpg  
Old 30 Mar 2016, 18:53 (Ref:3628810)   #10022
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Call me stupid, but what does x axis represent? Number of laps?
Yes, it's number of laps.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3628821)   #10023
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
And what does this tell about Toyota's overall performance ? It looks like the diagrams suggest that the Toyota was the least consistent car at the Prologue compared to Porsche and Audi.

As far as Audi is concerned, and considering that they were actually faster at the Porlogue than last year's, I am not too worried about their performance at Silverstone. Porsche will likely have the edge during qualifying practice but the race promises great entertainment.
Well, compared with the long run chart it shows that Toyota is only fast for a short number of laps but then seems to drop behind Audi.

I think about adding the 2015 lap times to that chart, but still: No one knows who lifted where...so I am not really sure, if we should try to read anything more in those times.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 12:01 (Ref:3629010)   #10024
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excuse my tech question, what is Lotterer referring?

http://fourtitude.com/news/motorspor...-a-major-step/

Where does this year-on-year step rate?

“It’s a major step, under the skin there have been a lot of changes. We’ve shifted towards a more hydraulic-based system instead of the electronic components we used before, which is a whole new world for the engineers.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 12:24 (Ref:3629015)   #10025
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post
excuse my tech question, what is Lotterer referring?

http://fourtitude.com/news/motorspor...-a-major-step/

Where does this year-on-year step rate?

“It’s a major step, under the skin there have been a lot of changes. We’ve shifted towards a more hydraulic-based system instead of the electronic components we used before, which is a whole new world for the engineers.

This may answer your question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi-MediaCenter
In addition, new solutions for the actuators of individual systems of the Audi R18 help reduce weight. While in the previous-generation vehicle electrical actuators were still operating in the braking, transmission and engine systems, the new Audi R18 uses an all-new development of a high-pressure central hydraulic system. The regulations prescribe a minimum weight of 875 kilograms for the LMP1 hybrid sports cars. In spite of a more powerful and therefore necessarily heavier hybrid system, Audi does not exceed this limit.
(source: Audi MediaCenter)