Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Oct 2005, 00:57 (Ref:1421854)   #1
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to make clubs toe the (CAMS) line

A number of Victorian car clubs have been reporting recently that CAMS have been instigating 'terror' tactics by having their state manager attend Club nights and telling the members, in no uncertain terms, what will happen if the club runs any events under AASA instead of CAMS.

One club has reported that this person even went to the lengths of trying to ensure that no recording equipment of any kinds was being used at the meeting to record what he said - which begs the question - what are they (CAMS) so afraid of if they stoop to these levels?

At least two clubs have also reported receiving phone calls (with no names being provided by the caller) suggesting that it would be in the clubs 'best interests' if they abandoned any AASA events they had planned on running.

However, despite these calls, it appears that with some clubs, at least, the plan is backfiring - some clubs are becoming more resolute to move away from CAMS (in one clubs words 'stop them ripping money of us for every time we sneeze) and see the need to move towards a more friendly atmosphere than CAMS have projected to club members over the last 12 months or so.

Once again - interesting times ahead.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1421865)   #2
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This kind of tactic is just what the AASA needs. You're right, I can't think of a quicker way to alienate clubs than to try the standover thing on them.

It might have worked in Hell's Kitchen early last century and it ultimately didn't work for the old Soviet Bloc and is pretty much doomed to failure in this case.

Hurrah, CAMS. Dinosaurs have a place in this world too.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1422046)   #3
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats new, these are the tactics CAMS have been using for years now, heavy handed autocratic management style. Do they understand the legal implications of these tactics? Do they realise that there is no law stating that they are the only people to provided insurance to motorsport in Australia?

The more people that realise that there is an alternative to the CAMS way of life, the better. Less cost, same coverage, less hassles, GO AASA!! All the licence fees and permit fees we are all paying to CAMS covers the extraordinary wages bill each week and the flash offices. As far as I know AASA doesn't employ anyone and the offices are run out of the circuits (according to their website.)
Old 2 Oct 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1422336)   #4
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Whats new, these are the tactics CAMS have been using for years now, heavy handed autocratic management style. Do they understand the legal implications of these tactics? Do they realise that there is no law stating that they are the only people to provided insurance to motorsport in Australia?
They must, that's why they don't want any tape recorders around!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1422368)   #5
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Been there, done that, got kicked out of the club's motorsport director role due to me "daring" to use AASA for a hillclimb at Morwell, after cams applied a heap of pressure on other committee members who unfortunately ate up all of the BS and threats that where feed to them.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1422371)   #6
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Been there, done that, got kicked out of the club's motorsport director role due to me "daring" to use AASA for a hillclimb at Morwell, after cams applied a heap of pressure on other committee members who unfortunately ate up all of the BS and threats that where feed to them.

Datto I admire your stance.

Without sounding patronising, you are probably better off away from the role, if you club is choosing to follow the old boys club mantra.

As a Jerry Springer guest would say,

"You know Jerry, that AASA; they're keepin it real Man, you know what i'm saying Jerry"

BTW, Datto, in about 18 months, how much fun will it be to waltz into a club meeting, after the ACCC have given CAM$ a serious pull-through ?

As much fun as a Springer "trailer park" episode, i'd reckon.....
Old 3 Oct 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1422382)   #7
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

I still enjoy making them squirm by reminding them that they choose to make their own bed, and that they now should not be *****ing about the increased costs of running events under cams.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1423288)   #8
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
The problem with this issue is, that until CAMS put anything in writing (which, btw they have with Garry Grants recent missives in the CAMS Magazine - so point one has already been satisfied) and then start to implement any of these strategies or sanctions, the ACCC have already stated they can't become involved.

CAMS are trying to play it smart - but those that are driving this stance have apparently not realised that they have already tripped themselves up because of Garry's articles - they should have left well alone.

So - what does this mean for motor sport in general?

First CAMS will find that the tactics they have been trying to take have no backing under Australian law - they seem to think they have when, in fact, they don't.

Second - the winner in any 'battle' that will ensue will be the club level motor sport enthusiast - much to the disappointment of some of our Queensland 'brothers and sisters' in here.

And no - this is NOT CAMS bashing - merely stating that there is a very small element within CAMS that are trying to restrict motor sport in this country to only operating under their (i.e. CAMS) rules - however, the high cost they are putting on this and the gargantuan set of rules they are trying to implement are having a negative impact which some within CAMS are now starting to notice - but maybe it is a bit late to prevent intervening action by an outside body?
Old 4 Oct 2005, 03:16 (Ref:1423332)   #9
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah you know me so well.

You are aware I work at AASA events?
Old 5 Oct 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1424280)   #10
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Did I mention any names? You must be a mind reader. And yes - I know you work at both CAMS and AASA events - doesn't mean, however, you support both though.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1424295)   #11
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Oh you didn't mean me? Then my apologies for my arrogant presumption about where the throw away line was directed.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1424302)   #12
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
There are a few banana benders who that I could readily think of - but you are right - a throwaway line usually gets caught, doesn't it?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 01:20 (Ref:1432303)   #13
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Interesting press release from the AKA, another of the Clubs/organisations CAM$ are currently trying to shaft.

With thanks to RACETIME.

AKA
Oct 12 2005
AKA Reject CAMS Proposal

AKA NATIONAL OFFICE

The National Karting Council of the Australian Karting Association Inc last night voted to reject the CAMS proposal to move to a Company Ltd by guarantee known as Karting Australia Ltd.

The National Karting Council stated last night that they wish to move forward, with their own governance model that has been in progress for the last two years. This model is on the agenda of the October 29th meeting.

Donald Wells
National President
AKA Inc.

Once again confirming part 1 of the 'theory of relativity', as contained in

Uncle Crankers Pocket Guide to Motorsport in Australia

"The words CAM$ & Shaft are almost always found together..........."

A very interesting read can be had in the forums on the Karting Australia website,
kartingaustralia . com .au and look in general discussion/open forum.
The thread title is 'karting australia'.

As karting has been the 'breeding ground' of many many very good circuit racers in this country, the potential damager of this poo fight could be far reaching. [even as far away as Paris ?]

This blue actually makes AASA vs CAM$ look like a support bout.

P.S Part 2 of the theory involves PIARC, CAM$ and the nepotism than breeds within.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 05:57 (Ref:1432363)   #14
ezepze
Racer

Australia
south 'o' th border
ezepze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive just gone thru that thread and thats some scary stuff uncle.
clubs and organisations are going to have to get all their rules and regs written up by lawyers just to make sure they cant be claimed by the overlords.
to have the potential expense of a company structure forced upon them for no benefit to them is unbelievable.
especially when it was not the AKAs problem to start with.
hope they hang in there.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1432526)   #15
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
And CAM$ excercise their right of reply.

CAMS
Oct 13 2005
CAMS SUPPORT AKA'S RENEWED EFFORTS FOR CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM

Following last weeks announcement that a new entity, Karting Australia,
would be formed to take on the delegation of karting in Australia, the
Australian Karting Association (AKA) has undertaken to renew its efforts
to bring about its own constitutional and structural reforms.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) has determined that
it will continue to support the AKA's reform process for the time being.

"CAMS requested the AKA to implement constitutional and structural
reform and a renewed commitment within the AKA to achieve this is
welcomed," he said.

"Karting Australia was created as an alternative structure to overcome
what seemed to be insurmountable difficulties with the proposed
structural reforms of the AKA. The Karting Australia option is seen by
CAMS as a faster track to the same destination."

Osborne noted that there had been some misinterpretation and potential
misrepresentation relating to the establishment of Karting Australia.

"CAMS has no desire to take over the governance and management of
karting in Australia. Rather, CAMS' goal is for Australian karting to be
governed by a single national structure, in accordance with the
requirements of the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile and CAMS
and consistent with the recommendations of the Australian Sports
Commission regarding best practice in sporting governance.

"Karting Australia offers the opportunity of a unitary structure with a
Board that has the vision to ensure karting takes its rightful place
within the spectrum of Australian motor sport. This will help to provide
talented young karters with a career path to motor sport competition at
a national and international level, both within karting and other
disciplines."

Osborne confirmed that the Karting Australia option will be maintained
should the Australian karting community wish to avail itself of the
opportunity. Furthermore, CAMS will consider reviewing some aspects of
the Karting Australia proposal in the event that the renewed efforts
towards reform within the AKA fail to achieve their objectives.

Gee do I detect a group in damage control mode ?

And i especially liked this bit.
Osborne noted that there had been some misinterpretation and potential
misrepresentation relating to the establishment of Karting Australia.

Is this the new touchy-feely CAM$, who actually admit they may have been wrong ?

Don't quote me, BUT; the captain may have swung the wheel, it's a shame the engine room are asleep.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1433155)   #16
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
The firemen and repair crews are definitely on the job though!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1433160)   #17
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
The firemen and repair crews are definitely on the job though!

Old 14 Oct 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1433190)   #18
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
In yesterdays very hastilly written CAM$ press release, those with a keen eye would have noticed some errors, as I am a kindly old gent, I chose not to highlight them.

CAM$ have obviously now actually read the release, and discovered the errors, promting them to send this Correction out at 8:49 am this morning.

--- Original Message -----

To: "Chris Terpos" <ChrisT@CAMS.com.au>

Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 8:49 AM

Subject: CORRECTION: CAMS Media Release: CAMS SUPPORT AKA'S RENEWED EFFORTS FOR CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM
Please note that the quote in the third paragraph of the below media release is attributed to CAMS President Colin Osborne (now correctly displayed below).

Kind regards Chris Terpos Communications Officer Confederation of Australian Motor Sport
(CAMS) Ph: (03) 9593 7768
Fax: (03) 9593 7700

Email: ChrisT@cams.com.au
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, 13 October 2005 5:43 PM
To: Chris Terpos
Subject: CAMS Media Release: CAMS SUPPORT AKA'S
RENEWED EFFORTS FOR CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM CONFEDERATION OF AUSTRALIAN MOTOR SPORT (CAMS)

MEDIA RELEASE 13 October 2005
For Immediate Release
CAMS SUPPORT AKA'S RENEWED EFFORTS FOR CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM
Following last weeks announcement that a new entity, Karting Australia, would be formed to take on the delegation of karting in Australia, the Australian Karting Association (AKA) has undertaken to renew its efforts to bring about its own constitutional and structural reforms.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) has determined that it will continue to support the AKA's reform process for the time being. "CAMS requested the AKA to implement constitutional and structural reform and a renewed commitment within the AKA to achieve this is welcomed," said CAMS President Colin Osborne.

"Karting Australia was created as an alternative structure to overcome what seemed to be insurmountable difficulties with the proposed structural reforms of the AKA. The Karting Australia option is seen by CAMS as a faster track to the same destination."

Osborne noted that there had been some misinterpretation and potential misrepresentation relating to the establishment of Karting Australia.

"CAMS has no desire to take over the governance and management of karting in Australia. Rather, CAMS' goal is for Australian karting to be governed by a single national structure, in accordance with the requirements of the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile and CAMS and consistent with the recommendations of the Australian Sports Commission regarding best practice in sporting governance.

"Karting Australia offers the opportunity of a unitary structure with a Board that has the vision to ensure karting takes its rightful place within the spectrum of Australian motor sport. This will help to provide talented young karters with a career path to motor sport competition at a national and international level, both within karting and other disciplines."

Osborne confirmed that the Karting Australia option will be maintained should the Australian karting community wish to avail itself of the opportunity. Furthermore, CAMS will consider reviewing some aspects of the Karting Australia proposal in the event that the renewed efforts towards reform within the AKA fail to achieve their objectives.

--- END
For more information regarding this release please contact:
Jenny Thompson, Communications Manager, CAMS Tel: (03) 9593 7777
FOR MEDIA INFORMATION PURPOSES - NO REGULATORY VALUE

Kind regards
Chris Terpos
Communications Officer
Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS)
PH: (03) 9593 7768
Fax: (03) 9593 7700

Are they rattled at the moment ? I think they are.

Interesting fact highlighted to me yesterday whilst lunching with a collegue,
the 3 major issuse facing CAM$ in 2005 have been.

a) The HPDC, and how poorly run it has been, with a clear lack of direction, and an inability to make decisions during times of (minor) crisis.
b) The AKA fiasco.
c) The ongoing AASA issue, especially the defection of the AMRS.

There is one CAM$ employee who has had his fingers deep in all 3 pies mentioned above.

Which is a little different to him having his finger in a Dyke.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 05:40 (Ref:1443576)   #19
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Further to some of the above:

Grumblings from East Malvern see two jobs being examined very closely, especially for performance clauses, as possible out's.

Without making a terrible pun, CAM$ may be revolting, attempts are being made to possibily remove those who are determinedly holding the gates open.

Because those with broader vision, realise that when most of the Horses are gone, potentially, their cushy jobs will dissapear quicker than free beer at a Grand Prix Officials afterparty.....

Eyewitness accounts tell of the Board not being happy about two individuals, and the very poor public perception of their actions.

And my birdie was siting on a window sill looking at computer screens, with Motorsport forums on them, and furrowed brows on the viewers...

Perhaps the truth hurts......
Old 26 Oct 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1443590)   #20
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Also interesting that I learned today of the departure, 3 weeks ago, of a sttaunch CAMS supporter in their IT section. Now far be it from me to say that he had deduced, at the time, who Narnarny was (those who visit other places will recall this persons nickname) but it seems like even those still working there are having second thoughts about continuing to support a crumbling wall..
Old 26 Oct 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1444430)   #21
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Nice.

No Storyline, that was not the case, my information was that it was a career based decision. To turn that into a rats leaving the sinking ship...

This little missive has left me to question your motivation here and wonder whether it is more than an average poster...
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1444572)   #22
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Falcadore - if this is the case then I accept it - it is how it was passed to me (by two sources btw) - nothing more. There was/is no other 'motivation' however I am hearing of a number of 'battles' currently fighting it out amongst various sub-groups in CAMS at the present time which, as I understand it, may well lead to a bit of 'blood letting' in the near future.

Please - if this information was wrong - accept my apologies - I said/reported nothing until a second source provided the same informaiton as the original source.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 08:14 (Ref:1444824)   #23
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Falcadore - if this is the case then I accept it - it is how it was passed to me (by two sources btw) - nothing more. There was/is no other 'motivation' however I am hearing of a number of 'battles' currently fighting it out amongst various sub-groups in CAMS at the present time which, as I understand it, may well lead to a bit of 'blood letting' in the near future.

Please - if this information was wrong - accept my apologies - I said/reported nothing until a second source provided the same informaiton as the original source.
And i'm pretty sure i know who one of the sources is. It wouldn't be too far wrong if that's where it come from.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 06:46 (Ref:1445728)   #24
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Heh - you know that's kinda funny.

I've known Shane Rogers for over five years and we've been partners together on the VESRIX website since its inception. Pop over and read the credits.

I've spoken to him today - and basically he left CAMS because he'd taken CAMS as far as he could professionally and the organisation wasn't big enough to provide a career path. It had gotten to the point on the IT side where development was becoming maintenance and Shane's ridiculously over-qualified for that.

Actually while Shane no longer has an office at CAMS, he's still working for them, finishing up some stuff in his own time.

So Shane's now looking for a new challenge - anyone out there looking for a Manager with strong IT and Managment experience let me know pls

So I don't know who your source is, but that's from the proverbial horses mouth.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 06:52 (Ref:1445729)   #25
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Well interesting - one source was from inside CAMS, the other outside and neither - as far as I know - know each other.

That aside - I just hope he wasn't involved in the CAMS web site (ever tried to find anything there by searching for it! Especially if it is old information - and by old I mean happened prior to today - almost impossible to find!)