Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jun 2002, 21:44 (Ref:318460)   #1
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huninderes cafe view

Why did they block so much of the view from the cafe, i always spend many a happy hour viewing from there and now they have restricted it? Are we to soon view the whole track formula one style, from 100m away, their doing it little by little.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 21:56 (Ref:318471)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand your views but with the latest news about cars flipping the safety measures are understandable. The last thing Le Mans needs is another 50's style crash. It is sad, and I have seen the view as well from over a few straw bales. Would they stop a 200 mph Merc / Audi / Porsche ??

Simon
Old 21 Jun 2002, 22:50 (Ref:318499)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must confess I didn't venture up as far as the Mulsanne eateries this year, so I don't know what the modifications were to the safety precautions.

I do recall a couple of years ago, though, that the green debris netting wasn't lasting very long, and I think Bluebottle's got pictures of people taking down the crowd fencing and using it as a grappling board, to prop against the actual crash barrier and climb up....
Old 22 Jun 2002, 07:31 (Ref:318699)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Seeing the Ascari crash, I'm changing my mind about the debris fences and safety systems... lucky there was enough space around at Indy for the poor pilot inside... ACO proved to FIA this week-end that a real great race could run without major problem, despite of speed and fight between very different categories...

Last edited by Fab; 22 Jun 2002 at 07:33.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 09:50 (Ref:319455)   #5
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Fab. However much we like getting close to the cars, safety for both the drivers and for spectators has to be paramount. We brought our young(ish) children to PQ this year. We accept that there is a small risk to them, we would not accept them behaving in a dangerous manner and we would not take them to anywhere on the circuit that was dangerous for them.

I think drivers are much more likely to push that bit harder if they know that they are less likely to be killed or hurt if they do. One driver on Radio Le Mans was complimenting the gravel traps around the entrance to Indianapolis saying that previously that section was "really scary". Personally I think the gravel traps at Tertre Rouge, Indianapolis itself (where the Ascari still had a heavy impact) and Arnage could all be improved, though it would be impossible to do this at Arnage without changing a lot, probably the corner itself. I've seen several cars outbrake themselves at Arnage, and while it's great to watch, their safety really concerns me.

FG
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:16 (Ref:319476)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A lot of yards belong to privateers (?), that's why it's not easy for the Sem (kind of society which rules the circuit) to buy or change the safety parts of the track...

Works are not finished at LM, pleasant or not pleasant for us, the spectators... it will change, we cannot nothing about it...

BTW, completely agree with FG about our kids...
Old 23 Jun 2002, 12:01 (Ref:319522)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We tried both restaurants at about 00:30 without success, but wandered a bit further along (back towards Tertre Rouge) and only 100 yards back past Hunaudieres found a very nice little viewing spot where we spent about half an hour marvelling as usual at the speed in the darkness......