Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Oct 2006, 01:22 (Ref:1745643)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Farewell GT1?

Reading quotes from DSC and watching Speed, it does appear to be a very real possibility there will no no factory GT1 cars competing in next years ALMS.

Regulations that suit GM will drive away Aston Martin and vice versa.

Without competition neither will compete.

With competitively priced LMP1/2's (Radical etc.) enticing privateers with reasonably large budgets, and a resurgent GT2 and GT3 attracting those with fewer funds, GT1 seems to be left high and dry.

Doug Fehan, “If we were to leave, I think you’d see about 20 cars show up in the GT1 class next year.” (Source DSC)

Obviously an exageration, but Fehan seems to be prpearing the ground for a withdrawel and, maybe, saying that wouldn't be such a bad thing for the series.

Over on this side of the pond FIA GT is going through struggles, while looking long term, you have to ask were the next generation of GT1's are coming from?

Will Prodrive build a DBR9 successor?

Will Corvette concentrate on GT2 and/or step upto P1?

After their struggles with the MC12, would Maserati build a car to the 2010 P1 regs or go up against the 911, 430, Panoz in GT2?

No imminent succesor to the 575GTC from Ferrari.

IMO, the best we can hope for in GT1 is a factory withdrawel from all series, leaving privateers to battle it out, hopefully slowing the pace of development/increase in costs.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:12 (Ref:1745675)   #2
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Reading quotes from DSC and watching Speed, it does appear to be a very real possibility there will no no factory GT1 cars competing in next years ALMS.

Regulations that suit GM will drive away Aston Martin and vice versa.

Without competition neither will compete.

With competitively priced LMP1/2's (Radical etc.) enticing privateers with reasonably large budgets, and a resurgent GT2 and GT3 attracting those with fewer funds, GT1 seems to be left high and dry.

Doug Fehan, “If we were to leave, I think you’d see about 20 cars show up in the GT1 class next year.” (Source DSC)

Obviously an exageration, but Fehan seems to be prpearing the ground for a withdrawel and, maybe, saying that wouldn't be such a bad thing for the series.

Over on this side of the pond FIA GT is going through struggles, while looking long term, you have to ask were the next generation of GT1's are coming from?

Will Corvette concentrate on GT2 and/or step upto P1?

After their struggles with the MC12, would Maserati build a car to the 2010 P1 regs or go up against the 911, 430, Panoz in GT2?

No imminent succesor to the 575GTC from Ferrari.

IMO, the best we can hope for in GT1 is a factory withdrawel from all series, leaving privateers to battle it out, hopefully slowing the pace of development/increase in costs.

Jag, good questions, and I believe the normal rational to answer them does not apply due to the bizarre constricting rules that are applied.
But I agree with your last statement as being a good starting place for starting top line GT racing all over again.
Bob
Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1745692)   #3
Naruto
Racer

United States
Philadelphia, PA
Naruto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corvette is done ???????
Old 23 Oct 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1745875)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Grand Standing and Politics.

Aston and Corvette will be in GT1 next year.

There are three NEW manufacturers looking at 2008.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1745922)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT500/GT300

far better
Old 23 Oct 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1746024)   #6
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
GT500/GT300

far better
What's that? Rules?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1746055)   #7
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope they stay in GT1.
If GT1 is doomed to brake up, I will have to cry myself to sleep for the next couple of days or so.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1746100)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes rules. If a GT500/300 variant replaced GT1 it would instantly mean that you would gain Toyota, Nissan and Honda, who could race the GT1 Astons and Vettes
Old 23 Oct 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1746142)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
yes rules. If a GT500/300 variant replaced GT1 it would instantly mean that you would gain Toyota, Nissan and Honda, who could race the GT1 Astons and Vettes
The JGTC silhouette rules go completely against what the ACO believes in though. Besides, I'd suggest some of those listed are looking at GT1 for 08' anyway.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1746280)   #10
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with JAG GT1 is becoming less and less viable, while AM and the GM boys did the best they could to make a 4 car class interesting, a 4 car class has no long term viability...hopefully Fogelhund is right and GT1 is going to see a resurgence in 08....NISSAN? who else though, I think 3 GT1 manufacturers by 08 sounds a tad optimistic
Old 23 Oct 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1746382)   #11
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My most recent AutoWeek quotes Fehan as saying they're looking at Europe and the LMS becauase of their issues with IMSA and the competition rules to keep the DBR9 and C6.R in balance.

I think it's all grandstanding and sabre-rattling. I don't think they'll leave.

Last edited by rblanshard; 23 Oct 2006 at 15:51.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1746399)   #12
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard

I think it's all grandstanding and sabre-rattling. I don't think they'll leave.
I agree.

That is why it is called Silly Season
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1746576)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Grand Standing and Politics.

Aston and Corvette will be in GT1 next year.

There are three NEW manufacturers looking at 2008.

Real manufactuer cars or half hearted, ala 575GTC's and Murcielagos?

Former customer car markets are drying up so it's big budget factory programs, as we see at GM, or nothing IMO.

What privateer would go up against factory cars in GT1?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1746604)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd like to see GT1 stay but if not .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
A GT2 V8 Vantage?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1746708)   #15
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not. The VLN car was very near to the road car but I think they learned a lot with that car
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1746733)   #16
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the GT1 Ferrari for next year is on it's... way... dunno if it's going to be raced in USA but... somewhere it will race
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1746739)   #17
Viper GTS-R***
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Viper GTS-R*** should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
the GT1 Ferrari for next year is on it's... way... dunno if it's going to be raced in USA but... somewhere it will race
Wherefrom did you know this information?
Sources?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1746749)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Which one?? the 599 GTC ?? last tests that were publiszed showed that it was slower then the 575s.

Hope Prancing Horse does come though.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1746750)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember hearing about this a while ago too, over at DSC I beleive. If I remember correctly the car is also being factory developed, there were some shots of it testing at Monza a while ago, albeit in lots of cladding.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1746752)   #20
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding a GT2 Vantage, when the DBR9 project was announced a couple of years back David Richards did mention that Prodrive, with Aston Martins blessing, were looking at developing a GT2 Vantage circumstances accepting.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1746842)   #21
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Will the current GT2 become the new GT1??
Old 23 Oct 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1746853)   #22
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I pray NOT!!!!!!!!!

That is like setting your buddies clothes on fire, and then saving his life by peeing on him.

Bob
Old 23 Oct 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1746903)   #23
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
It's happened before....
Old 24 Oct 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1747002)   #24
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
as far as farewell gt1 goes, i think it is heading that way. in the alms despite the corvettes being fast and strong they are beatable, aston martin showed this by wining 5 races including a 1,2 in petit le mans. overall though i feal that gt1 is lacking big grids in alms, lms and fia gt and those grids will continue to decline if new manufacturers, and exsting ones dont get involved in the series. i was just watching the french gt championshio on motors and noticed they have numerous dodge vipers, a few corvettes, a couple of 550s and even a lister storm competing. couldnt the fia offer these cars bigger restrictors so they are still competitive in the fia series and therefore boost gt1 grids. im sure with careful monitoring of pefromance these 'older' cars the fia, and even alms to have big gt1 grids and good close racing.

also im sure if the fia series could attract bigger crowds then more manufacturers would see a potential market to sell there cars in.

to attract more fans to the series the fia could take a leaf out of the alms book by involving spectators more.

open up the grid before race so that fans can get close to the cars and crews

run something similar to the pit challenge the alms have

try and keep the fans up to date with whats happening on the track ie. positons of the cars

in the paddock area dont keep the cars locked away in their pit garages, place the teams and cars in awnings in the paddock so that fans to see the cars up close

ovbiously these are all things i would like to see happen, but im sure theres a few people who feel/ think the same, thanks for letting me speak my mind its much appreciated
Old 24 Oct 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1747157)   #25
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
I pray NOT!!!!!!!!!

That is like setting your buddies clothes on fire, and then saving his life by peeing on him.

Bob
Another typically upbeat analogy!

Pray just how do the two scenarios compare Bob?