Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Apr 2003, 20:40 (Ref:579897)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Panoz Esperante GT

Apparently the second chassis has been built, and they're working on the bodywork now. The chassis got a shakedown yesterday.

Details, as reported by a superfan who's well known on some other (North American) fora, will show up at my favourite site for daily sportscar (.com) news in a day or so. You mayk or mayk not know to whom I'm referring...

Anyway, apparently the Yates powerplant sounds pretty throaty.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Apr 2003, 20:48 (Ref:579909)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what Autosport says today it has an Audi/Cosworth powerplant......
Old 24 Apr 2003, 20:51 (Ref:579910)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport.

The Panoz Esperante GT has the modular Ford V8, developed by Yates. It's the same block as the Ford Focus Daytona Prototype, developed to different specs.

Could you find or type the quote?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Apr 2003, 21:08 (Ref:579922)   #4
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car is being built in Ontario by Multimatic.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:00 (Ref:579968)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The Panoz GT car does indeed have a Ford V8. The GTS car for 2004, however, will have a twin-turbo Audi/Cosworth-derived powerplant.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:37 (Ref:579996)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the car of which you speak? It does look rather sweet!
http://www.bmwsport.net/51sebringmisc/gallery.php
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:57 (Ref:580012)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
GTS, hmmm? So, the GTP rumours have fallen by the wayside? Well, maybe that too will come out in the reports - I know the author hinted at some wow factor.

-Bill James
Old 24 Apr 2003, 23:27 (Ref:580030)   #8
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good: It's a new car; they're always welcome

Bad: They drew it with their eyes shut, it's as if they thought the entire heritage of GT design resided in the MX-5 and Z3
Old 24 Apr 2003, 23:28 (Ref:580031)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
As far as I know, Don Panoz - Dr. Don Panoz, I forget myself - had always intended to switch his efforts to GT or GTS in the near future. A shame, in my view. Will JML keep running the prototypes? Who can say?
Old 25 Apr 2003, 01:03 (Ref:580063)   #10
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an oft' overlooked quote from Panoz that says, in addition to GT(S) class cars, he does want to build more cars than can compete for overall victories. I just wish i could find that actual quote to show you word for word. It sounds like he still wants to win Le Mans; i think he likes the wine (if you happened to hear the soundbite from Le Mans '02 where he was totally hammered you'll know what i'm talking about - i think it's still on the 2002 version of www.lemans.org at the bottom of the page).
Old 25 Apr 2003, 01:37 (Ref:580091)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GOOD at least we Know Panoz will continue to put up figts in the series. Course we will see if the ultimate constuctor win wil be A 1-1-1 in every class,and the overall
Old 25 Apr 2003, 06:24 (Ref:580224)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just got this from DSC - Audi-derived twin-turbo 4.2 litre engine from the RS6, that's pretty much what it said in Autosport too.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 23:42 (Ref:581178)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Sorry, rd, didn't mean to cast aspersions on you. I just thought that they were saying Audi engines for the GT, not the GTS...

-Bill James
Old 26 Apr 2003, 22:35 (Ref:581721)   #14
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Osella, have you ever seen the road version? If so, do you like it? It's essentiall the same car without the front and rear wings. I like it a lot. I would have seen the debut, too, if the D.C. race wasn't cancelled.

But I never knew that he had plans for GTS. When is this supposed to happen, 2005?
Old 27 Apr 2003, 10:38 (Ref:581946)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Old 27 Apr 2003, 11:31 (Ref:581990)   #16
Osella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by RM40
Osella, have you ever seen the road version? If so, do you like it?
not sure, was it at LM last year or the year before?

I'm probably being rude about it for the sake of it really, it looks ok. I just prefer the original Panoz, and I was also put off by that slightly artless buggy-type thing they do. But honestly, I take my hat off to him and them, for all they've done. But please, let's have Callaway back in action too!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 12:14 (Ref:582787)   #17
danhx
Racer

"artless buggy-type thing" - Panoz AIV (Aluminum Intensive Vehicle)
Are you referring to the Callaway C12, or just Callaway in general?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 12:35 (Ref:582800)   #18
Osella
Veteran

I'm not sure if it was called an AIV, I think it's something with a Mustang engine and scuttle buried in it?? Like a Plymouth Prowler type thing, only a bit more agricultural.

Callaway in general, the C12 in particular. We need these to remind the GT3RSs that there is an alternative!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 13:51 (Ref:582848)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I seem to remember another name, too, but the AIV Roadster is what you find on www.panozauto.com ...

-Bill James
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:46 (Ref:583797)   #20
Ken May
Rookie

Ken May should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forum:
New member here and I was the "guy" at Putnam Park last week watching the Multimatic, Panoz GT, and Intersports teams practice. Watching both a LMP900 and Daytona DP on track at speed at the same time was a once in a million chance!

The Panoz GT is an unbelievable car and the sound is even better! Unfortunately, all the pictures I took and posted of the car, engine, etc., have been asked to be taken down as the car is not race ready.....Scott Maxwell did about 7 laps in the car and the Yates Engineer as well as everyone else all gave the test a thumbs up! There will be two GT's at the Atlanta June race..........

Ken

My three reports are now all finished and up with pictures............
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:54 (Ref:583807)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Uh oh, here comes trouble.

Welcome, Ken.

-Bill James
Old 29 Apr 2003, 14:21 (Ref:583825)   #22
Ken May
Rookie

Ken May should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does my reputation proceed me? Just a "casual fan" who enjoys sportscars here......

Just received a nice email from John Graham- who test drove the Panoz GT at Putnam Park.........

Are you going to Barber Park?

Ken
Old 29 Apr 2003, 15:02 (Ref:583874)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Ken, I'm only able to get as far as Mosport, the Glen, or le Circuit these days. I expect a good report on the facility from you, though.

-Bill James
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:55 (Ref:584018)   #24
A.D.K.
Rookie

A.D.K. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a sort of related story on the Panoz Car company nothing really to do with their GTS program but a fun read never the least.
It's a review of the turner version of the Esperante which has 600hp from it's supercharged 5.2 liter strocer motor.
http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...91312&record=1

Andy K.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 20:02 (Ref:584216)   #25
danhx
Racer

I saw that tuner version in the paddock at PLM '02. It quite viscious looking even though they've just done relatively minor tweeks to the bodywork, but there's nothing minor about that engine.

As far as the "bug eyed" panoz question goes, to my knowledge there have only been two production cars from Panoz: the AIV and the Esperante. Both have SVT Mustang engine in street guise.