Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Aug 2022, 18:05 (Ref:4124405)   #26
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e....WA7V6T&nrt=54

First meter of gravel has a resin added, so less gravel poured onto the track but still very little grip. Will be interesting how it will work in practise.

On the DRS through the banked corner. I indeed wished they first looked at how it worked with the new cars.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 18:52 (Ref:4124410)   #27
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e....WA7V6T&nrt=54

First meter of gravel has a resin added, so less gravel poured onto the track but still very little grip. Will be interesting how it will work in practise.

On the DRS through the banked corner. I indeed wished they first looked at how it worked with the new cars.
Quotes from the article

Quote:
Zandvoort’s Formula 1 track has fitted an experimental ‘fake’ gravel trap solution for this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix to help reduce the risk of red flag stoppages.
Quote:
Eager to avoid having asphalt run-offs, race organisers have created a special one-metre wide area that runs behind the kerb at Turn 12 where the gravel has been encased in a resin type material. This makes it look like gravel but it in fact totally solid.
I think it is an interesting idea, but has this been tried elsewhere first? The use of the word "experiment" seems a bit frightening. The articles makes it sound like this is the first time it has been tried? If so, that seems a bit... crazy to go from concept straight to trying it in an F1 race!

Can anyone point to it's use elsewhere or the testing that was done to ensure it doesn't become a mess??

Looking at the photos, it has a nice boarder between the resin gravel and loose gravel. It somewhat looks like maybe they groomed the gravel then sprayed the resin after the fact.

My concerns...

1. The article says "totally solid". How deep did the resin permeate? What if it just a crusty layer on top of more loose gravel?
2. Depending upon how much traffic it experiences, I can totally see it breaking into big chunks and landing out on the track. Nothing like large rocks getting kicked up into drivers heads. Red flag anyone?
3. Is there a hard lip between the resin gravel and loose gravel. Hopefully nobody is that aggressive and gets into the boundary between those two, but I can see it catching the edge of tires. A new sausage curb type of issue?

It just comes across a bit like a science experiment. High risk and maybe low reward.

Richard
Old 31 Aug 2022, 20:02 (Ref:4124416)   #28
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valid points. One would expect them to have tested it, but you never know.
Old 31 Aug 2022, 20:56 (Ref:4124420)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Valid points. One would expect them to have tested it, but you never know.
I don't see where they would have got a 2022 spec car to test with?
Old 31 Aug 2022, 21:19 (Ref:4124425)   #30
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well given F1 ain't the first thing on track I don't think they'll be testing it with the F1 cars first. And sounds like a better solution than the red flags previously and oh yeah, there was already debris being kicked. Changing the material slightly won't change the outcome and could limit the crying about dirt on the track because the best drivers on the planet can't figure out where the wheel is
Old 31 Aug 2022, 21:45 (Ref:4124427)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well given F1 ain't the first thing on track I don't think they'll be testing it with the F1 cars first.
So the first time we will know how the surface copes with the forces applied by a 2022 F1 car is during a live F1 session?

I hope I'm wrong, but binding gravel into larger chunks of debris sounds like a recipe for disaster....
Old 1 Sep 2022, 15:33 (Ref:4124476)   #32
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the amount of downforce F1 cars generates has been known to literally pull up loose concrete...how could this fair any better is a legit concern.

obviously will wait and see unfortunately, but a potential red flag to clean it up once is preferable to their potentially being more red flags anytime someone (intentionally) goes off track there and drags gravel/sand back on track?

not that any red flag is a good thing so really playing devils advocate here, but a smooth but bumpy low grip surface for an area more prove to drivers intentionally running wide rather then a spot for major offs (thats an assumption i am making of course) could prove an elegant solution to the track limit issue?
Old 1 Sep 2022, 16:12 (Ref:4124479)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
obviously will wait and see unfortunately, but a potential red flag to clean it up once is preferable to their potentially being more red flags anytime someone (intentionally) goes off track there and drags gravel/sand back on track?
I'd agree - less red flags is better than more. But - is one large chunk of debris preferable to lots of tiny ones?

(I think we might be into the horse-sized duck territory here)
Old 1 Sep 2022, 16:29 (Ref:4124482)   #34
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
(I think we might be into the horse-sized duck territory here)
lol thank you for that image! im now thinking about the various animals drivers have hit over the years!
Old 1 Sep 2022, 17:41 (Ref:4124487)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's a gravel trap, not the race line.
Old 1 Sep 2022, 23:00 (Ref:4124508)   #36
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the amount of downforce F1 cars generates has been known to literally pull up loose concrete...how could this fair any better is a legit concern.
Because it’s not loose, and it’s not even on the track.
Old 2 Sep 2022, 03:16 (Ref:4124522)   #37
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I can't remember the details of the track, but isn't the point of the "solid" resin gravel that it is being used in a location where cars were previosly putting a wheel off outside the white line and dragging gravel back onto the pavement?

Richard
Old 2 Sep 2022, 07:15 (Ref:4124533)   #38
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Because it’s not loose, and it’s not even on the track.
We don't know if the forces of an F1 car will cause it to come loose.
The gravel (that was also a problem) was being brought onto the track.
Old 2 Sep 2022, 07:23 (Ref:4124535)   #39
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Many circuit guides reference the use of the kerbs on the inside as being the optimal line.

It might not be the 'ideal' racing line, but it is close enough that cars regularly put a wheel in the gravel.
Old 2 Sep 2022, 09:13 (Ref:4124542)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it’s a nice compromise what they have with the gravel. Have something to prevent gravel being put on the circuit, whilst retaining the challenge, where you will be punished if you get it wrong
Old 2 Sep 2022, 12:41 (Ref:4124565)   #41
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would prefer we end it all and just drop off the edge of the curb, you drop a wheel and your race should be over. Tired of the best drivers in the world and then can't stay on the damn track. The lap time penalty is no where near enough, time needs to be spent in the garage after so there's no running. It's getting to be a joke and not it's not the officials interfering, it's drivers cheating flat out
Old 2 Sep 2022, 14:19 (Ref:4124583)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Drivers are not cheating, they are trying to push the limits and try to get the best lap possible and occasionally they will go over the limit. The problem is they don’t seem to lose time by going off anymore….
Old 3 Sep 2022, 02:03 (Ref:4124633)   #43
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was always under the impression that the black stuff was the race track and not the coloured stuff which was always there to keep the edges of the black stuff from falling apart. That concept does not seem to penetrate F1 minds for some reason and surely is not a fuzzy concept at all but the best drivers in the world don't seem to be able to grasp it and the FIA aren't man enough to write the rule.
Old 3 Sep 2022, 06:25 (Ref:4124652)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

F1 drivers use kerbs to get the best lap time. They will push the limits as they say. It’s not the drivers fault they take advantage of the runoffs. It’s too easy to get away with it. It’s time to bring back runoffs that act as a deterrent
Old 4 Sep 2022, 08:02 (Ref:4124751)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
F1 drivers use kerbs to get the best lap time. They will push the limits as they say. It’s not the drivers fault they take advantage of the runoffs. It’s too easy to get away with it. It’s time to bring back runoffs that act as a deterrent
No. Of course it's their fault, they're the ones with a steering wheel in their hands.... aided and abetted by the fact that all too often they're allowed to get away with it. If the run-offs and the area beyond the kerbs actually slowed you down, they wouldn't use them. Jeez, they have massive DRS zones to enable them to overtake with little or no effort, so driving all over the kerbs and beyond really should have been clamped down on years ago.
Old 4 Sep 2022, 09:06 (Ref:4124766)   #46
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Us orange lot (not the Dutch or the papaya people, the other orange lot!) have a rather trite but nice and clear phrase on this:

The black bit is yours. Anything else is ours and we reserve the right to call you out for using it.

It's been that way for many many years. Drivers now aren't really any different to any other era, excepting the era where you could be decapitated by running wide - and they still did it then!
Old 4 Sep 2022, 09:29 (Ref:4124769)   #47
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Us orange lot (not the Dutch or the papaya people, the other orange lot!) have a rather trite but nice and clear phrase on this:

The black bit is yours. Anything else is ours and we reserve the right to call you out for using it.

It's been that way for many many years. Drivers now aren't really any different to any other era, excepting the era where you could be decapitated by running wide - and they still did it then!
That’s long been marshal myth though.

As long as one wheel is on ‘the black bit’ the car is classed as being on the legal track.
Old 4 Sep 2022, 12:57 (Ref:4124776)   #48
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It used to be used frequently by a very senior clerk of the course in the UK. I dare say quite a lot of F1 drivers heard it in driver briefings on their way up the ladder.

Still - the gravel panics didn't happen, did they?
Old 4 Sep 2022, 13:08 (Ref:4124780)   #49
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It used to be used frequently by a very senior clerk of the course in the UK. I dare say quite a lot of F1 drivers heard it in driver briefings on their way up the ladder.

Still - the gravel panics didn't happen, did they?
True! I heard it from him myself on numerous occasions. That didn’t make it any more accurate then than it is now though, not that I risked telling him LOL.
Old 6 Sep 2022, 04:46 (Ref:4125076)   #50
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Well refreshingly little fuss about track limits. No tarmac does work.

On another note, the increased camber towards the outside of turn 3 (Hugenholz) seems a bit too strong. Last year the ideal line was not clear yet. This year everyone just ran as high as possible for maximum (exit) speed. Everyone who tried to go low couldn't hold enough speed. If they were to reduce the amount of camber progression more lines would become viable again. This would make it an overtaking opportunity again and also a more interesting corner in my book. It was the right idea with the progressive camber but just taken a little bit too far I feel.