Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 7 Oct 2013, 04:18 (Ref:3313956)   #4026
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Action Express was one of the NASCAR-funded teams, and in their first race they go out and win the Daytona 24. Whoops.
And a car that was found post-race to be under weight to boot.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3313978)   #4027
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
And a car that was found post-race to be under weight to boot.
I believe that was when Brumos won the year before that the car was penalized for underweight.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 07:05 (Ref:3313979)   #4028
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
You answered yourself there-"the sob on their phone"

It isn't on the DIS website (I looked and public note, I don't have a hidden agenda), so I think it is like tests, not publicized to avoid crowds showing up and being turned away. These aren't general admission events, which allows a much lower insurance cover and also reduces payroll costs by not having spectator handling staff. I don't think the track informs about who is testing when that occurs.
Unless things have recently changed, a small section of the grandstands is open everyday for visitors to look at the track or watch whatever testing is going on.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 07:06 (Ref:3313980)   #4029
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
If they're on the Conti rocks they would probably be behind most of the GTE cars.
Thats what I said before Continental tires + amatuer drivers = behind GTE. Look at the alms teams' cars at LeMans this year with their tire struggles compared to the WEC teams. They make a world of difference!
Old 7 Oct 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3314155)   #4030
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Unless things have recently changed, a small section of the grandstands is open everyday for visitors to look at the track or watch whatever testing is going on.
yes, the grandstand at Daytona USA, but that is hardly general admission like infield access would be.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3314191)   #4031
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Yeah Idk its all under construction now.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3314780)   #4032
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://speedblog.speed.com/speed/spo...-jens-walther/

Mr. Walther says that GTD cars will probably be much slower than this year due to the influx of GTLM. However, he also says that there's so many changes that the 997 GT3 Cup cannot be used anymore in GTD (and IMSA has chosen to not accept the 997 GT3.R since it's too close to GTLM).

Walther thinks that the 911 GT America will be cheaper than the current GTD Porsche since it comes from the factory with the 4.0L engine rather than teams trying to shoehorn it in on their own. More standardization and fewer custom parts.

The factory 911 RSRs will not be available in 2014-spec for testing till after WEC Bahrain. So testing will probably begin in December.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3314788)   #4033
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://speedblog.speed.com/speed/spo...-jens-walther/

Mr. Walther says that GTD cars will probably be much slower than this year due to the influx of GTLM.
That's a dagger in the heart for me. GTD is already slow enough anyway... the Ferrari 458s and Audi R8s among others are significantly slower in GTD spec than the original car already! PLEASE, only five MPH slower, no more than that.

Hopefully if GTD turns into some sort of Touring Car category years down the road people will eventually find out that GTLM is the way to go.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3314808)   #4034
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
I've been saying it all year, GTC is already to slow versus GTE. We're in the way everywhere, including the straights where we out drag the GTE cars.. it's ******* ridiculous.

So the solution is to have all the competitors pay MORE and go even SLOWER.

It's just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

edit: as related to the schedule in the topic at hand, count me out of GTD.

-mike

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Oct 2013 at 21:42. Reason: Autocensor dodge
Old 8 Oct 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3314850)   #4035
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/alms/negri-r...petit-le-mans/

A little tidbit here, it says that PC could be slower than GTLM next year since it looks like the PC engine will be getting a smaller restrictor (while GTLM will be untouched). Enzo Pottolichio has decided to delay his purchase of PC cars until the ruleset is more finished.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3314875)   #4036
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A little tidbit here, it says that PC could be slower than GTLM next year since it looks like the PC engine will be getting a smaller restrictor (while GTLM will be untouched). Enzo Pottolichio has decided to delay his purchase of PC cars until the ruleset is more finished.
Well, that's one way to phase out PC's.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 8 Oct 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3314876)   #4037
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's at least 2-3s gap between the slowest PC and fastest GTE cars looking at the qualifying times on the tracks that will be run next season. To make them slower than all of the GTE cars would be insane - you'd need them to lose at least 6-10s and then they'd have zero straightline speed.

The only reason to slightly nerf the PCs is if the DPs are having problems speeding up...
Old 9 Oct 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3314885)   #4038
smcorolla
Rookie

smcorolla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I've been saying it all year, GTC is already to slow versus GTE. We're in the way everywhere, including the straights where we out drag the GTE cars.. it's ******* ridiculous.

-mike
I don't understand this at all. Why would GTC/D need to be slowed? Aren't GT3 cars eligible (sans spec wing) they certainly aren't slower than current GTC? Hate to hear a driver say he wants no part. No formal announcement has been made so I'm not jumping ship yet but hope this isn't true.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3314898)   #4039
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I'll believe it when I see it! A smidge may be taken back to adjusted some of the gain from the tire change, but I do not see them being dragged back to the GTLMs much less behind them.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 9 Oct 2013 at 00:51.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 01:06 (Ref:3314902)   #4040
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Well, that's one way to phase out PC's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
There's at least 2-3s gap between the slowest PC and fastest GTE cars looking at the qualifying times on the tracks that will be run next season. To make them slower than all of the GTE cars would be insane - you'd need them to lose at least 6-10s and then they'd have zero straightline speed.

The only reason to slightly nerf the PCs is if the DPs are having problems speeding up...
For the first time in a while, I feel complete disaster is looming on the USCC horizon because of simple, unforced lapses in judgment. Slower GTD and GTLM faster than PC?
Old 9 Oct 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3314903)   #4041
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slowing down LMPC eh? I mentioned this topic last week and there were some who agreed, but disagreed as well that this would be a possibility. Yes its prototype but it is a spec class and pro am. So if they need to be slowed down some then that's ok with me. The LMPC folks should worry about racing each other and not worry about the rest of the field. If the LMPC teams don't like it then go get a Daytona Prototype. GTLM cars are fast, professional, and high profile. Just like Leo says on his Shakedown last week they should have a shot at overall victory too. At least an outside shot. It should be doable I think.

Also I don't know who that guy in the article about the Porsche GT3 America is but I just don't believe him about the slowing down part with GTD.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 01:18 (Ref:3314907)   #4042
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
For the first time in a while, I feel complete disaster is looming on the USCC horizon because of simple, unforced lapses in judgment. Slower GTD and GTLM faster than PC?
Really don't think it is time yet to get the knickers in a twist.

L.P.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 01:39 (Ref:3314911)   #4043
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Slowing down LMPC eh? I mentioned this topic last week and there were some who agreed, but disagreed as well that this would be a possibility. Yes its prototype but it is a spec class and pro am. So if they need to be slowed down some then that's ok with me. The LMPC folks should worry about racing each other and not worry about the rest of the field. If the LMPC teams don't like it then go get a Daytona Prototype. GTLM cars are fast, professional, and high profile. Just like Leo says on his Shakedown last week they should have a shot at overall victory too. At least an outside shot. It should be doable I think.
GTLM having a shot at overall victory is a fantasy, and isn't doable, or even close under current rules.

LMP-C needs to be at about current speed or close, or the entries will disappear. It was published by the most visible press guy covering the series. If it wasn't true, there would have been a retraction by now. They won't get a DP, or a LMP2... they want to race Pro-Am. Slower than GTLM is ridiculous, you'll see the category disappear quick.

Quote:
Also I don't know who that guy in the article about the Porsche GT3 America is but I just don't believe him about the slowing down part with GTD.
That would be Porsche Motorsport North America's President, you might think he'd know. As I state earlier in this thread, separation was needed between the GT categories, and it will be done. I didn't think they would slow down GTD further though.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3314925)   #4044
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dual post

Last edited by Breitling24; 9 Oct 2013 at 02:31.

Old 9 Oct 2013, 02:30 (Ref:3314928)   #4045
Breitling24
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post

Last edited by Breitling24; 9 Oct 2013 at 02:35.

Old 9 Oct 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3314929)   #4046
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
GTLM having a shot at overall victory is a fantasy, and isn't doable, or even close under current rules.

LMP-C needs to be at about current speed or close, or the entries will disappear. They won't get a DP, or a LMP2... they want to race Pro-Am. Slower than GTLM is ridiculous, you'll see the category disappear quick.

That would be Porsche Motorsport North America's President, you might think he'd know. It was published by the most visible press guy covering the series. If it wasn't true, there would have been a retraction by now. As I state earlier in this thread, separation was needed between the GT categories, and it will be done. I didn't think they would slow down GTD further though.
I'm not certain how.. but my prior post was mixed up... this should have corrected it.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3315094)   #4047
xjb
Rookie

xjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the article to suggest PC could be slowed to make it closer in speed to GTLM but still faster than GTLM. Here's the quote:

"Recent rumors have indicated a possible restrictor change for the 6.2-liter Chevy V8s that could result in a slowdown when compared to the GT Le Mans category, which is expected to remain unchanged."

Quote:

Old 9 Oct 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3315149)   #4048
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, when was this announced?

Quote:
The existing 911 GT3 Cup cars currently seen in GRAND-AM and in the ALMS will not be legal in USCC next year.
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/uscc/po...or-gt-america/
Old 9 Oct 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3315152)   #4049
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
PC cars already tend to get in the way of GTs. Why make the problem worse?
Old 9 Oct 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3315157)   #4050
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only reason I can see to slow PC would be if DPs weren't gaining quite the speed people thought.

Unless ... TUSCC really thinks there will be too many quality entries and wants to thin the field.

Otherwise slowing Any of the existing classes is just asinine.
Closed Thread