Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3351341)   #5276
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
At least Barfield admitted to looking at all the angles he could before calling a penalty or if an incident deserved an penalty. Audi Sport did a video with Freitas where he admitted the same and showed that he had plenty of angles to judge from, including many that weren't used by broadcasters.
Would be good if you could find that video for us.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 20:31 (Ref:3351359)   #5277
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
This is just ridiculous, why bother finishing if you will still get rewarded.this one is stupid just stupid! So I guess we won't see DNF anymore.get what you deserve.

sorry but I don't agree with this one.
Wait a minute (pun intended). IMSA races are timed. This means that a car can win without crossing the finish line!

This is a disgrace.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3351361)   #5278
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or just a choice of how you want to judge the results. One way can be objected to because the car wasn't running at the end. The other way can be objected to because there could be a car that has covered a greater distance than the one declared the winner.

Disgrace? Or just a choice that has to be made. Philosophically I can see the argument for both. And the good thing is that whatever the choice we can be angry about it.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3351363)   #5279
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Or just a choice of how you want to judge the results. One way can be objected to because the car wasn't running at the end. The other way can be objected to because there could be a car that has covered a greater distance than the one declared the winner.

Disgrace? Or just a choice that has to be made. Philosophically I can see the argument for both. And the good thing is that whatever the choice we can be angry about it.

lol. I'm going to go out on a limb here... I bet the winner of each race this season finishes said race.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3351368)   #5280
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe mike is speaking of his incident at lagunaseca where he was hit and damaged by the shank car, but there was no penalty because it wasn't even shown or caught by the broadcast cameras so paul never saw it.

Also i don't think this will be much of a factor with lap down wave bys, any time lost from penalties will be regained if the ldwb is played right.....shame.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3351369)   #5281
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I believe mike is speaking of his incident at lagunaseca where he was hit and damaged by the shank car, but there was no penalty because it wasn't even shown or caught by the broadcast cameras so paul never saw it.

Also i don't think this will be much of a factor with lap down wave bys, any time lost from penalties will be regained if the ldwb is played right.....shame.
WE CAME BACK FROM SEVEN LAPS DOWN! IT'S AMAZING!
Old 7 Jan 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3351370)   #5282
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There´s always the report from the corner workers to work with (well, let´s hope there was one...).

Quote:
I´m afraid you´re spot on...
Old 7 Jan 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3351373)   #5283
Intimidator
Rookie

Italy
Intimidator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking about broadcasting, do you know if the TUSCC races are live streamed on their website flag to flag like ALMS did? And for Europeans as well
Old 7 Jan 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3351378)   #5284
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
There´s always the report from the corner workers to work with (well, let´s hope there was one...).
I wasn't directly referring to my incident at Laguna, but it's as good an example as any. Paul will tell anyone who asks him the same thing, if he doesn't personally see it either on the live broadcast or on the CCTV in race control he will not issue a penalty. It doesn't matter what the corner workers say or if you have in-car video after the fact and show it to him. It's the way he does things.

My primary issue with this is even after talking with him about it, he has no interest in improving the system. It's just The Way It Is.

But back to the original point, he was much more lenient on car-to-car contact after the Rolex weekend at COTA.

I won't even go into cars failing post race tech inspection with multiple infractions and when the tech steward recommends exclusion from the race he decides "no, it's ok.".

Personally, I think he's a nice enough guy even if we disagree on certain aspects of the rules or on their execution. IMO, he's simply overworked on the race weekends and either doesn't have the power or ability to properly delegate responsibility so that more things can be done. Funny, that's similar to my views on how the whole merger has gone down over the last 18 months... maybe my expectations are just to high? :-)

-mike
Old 7 Jan 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3351380)   #5285
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

lol. I'm going to go out on a limb here... I bet the winner of each race this season finishes said race.
Hope it is a VERY BIG limb as there is likely to be MANY, including myself, out there on it with you.

L.P.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3351399)   #5286
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
Would be good if you could find that video for us.
Video entitled "Race Control" at this page:

http://www.audi-motorsport.com/de/en...-shanghai.html
Old 7 Jan 2014, 23:52 (Ref:3351401)   #5287
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Personally, I think he's a nice enough guy even if we disagree on certain aspects of the rules or on their execution. IMO, he's simply overworked on the race weekends and either doesn't have the power or ability to properly delegate responsibility so that more things can be done. Funny, that's similar to my views on how the whole merger has gone down over the last 18 months... maybe my expectations are just to high? :-)

-mike
Sums up how I feel about Paul and the ALMS/GA merger as a whole. Great potential, wishy-washy execution with some things that still leave me scratching my head as a fan.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 03:40 (Ref:3351438)   #5288
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

-mike
I'm sure he's a nice enough guy and if he's saying that's the way it is, I suppose he's not doing anything wrong per se. I definitely believe those employing him are doing something wrong to allow such a situation to slide, however. Were it my series, and the race director felt that's the way it was, I'd sure as anything be telling him that the way it was is no longer the way it is effective immediately, or 'the way it is' would be 'being administered by another race director'. Perhaps my expectations are also too high, because it's clearly impossible to steward a series the way the WEC is...oh, um, er...
Old 8 Jan 2014, 04:33 (Ref:3351446)   #5289
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey At laguna last year there was two or so minutes left after the delta wing caution, which would of given at least two full laps to the p1s.but race control fudged up and only gave one green lap to the finish.after I remember they scribbled in the regs they can do it again if they want.

Pretty much made it so they wouldn't look bad, is that dumb rule still there.i mean if it is its bs to rob us of 3-5 minutes, that's two to three good laps.alot can happen in three minutes.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3351638)   #5290
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I'm sure he's a nice enough guy and if he's saying that's the way it is, I suppose he's not doing anything wrong per se. I definitely believe those employing him are doing something wrong to allow such a situation to slide, however. Were it my series, and the race director felt that's the way it was, I'd sure as anything be telling him that the way it was is no longer the way it is effective immediately, or 'the way it is' would be 'being administered by another race director'. Perhaps my expectations are also too high, because it's clearly impossible to steward a series the way the WEC is...oh, um, er...
I just don't understand the rational of "if I didn't see it there is no penalty" when we have so many camera angles available. What does it matter if you see it live or on replay from track or in-car cameras? I think most teams, drivers, and fans would like to see the correct call made, even if it takes a few minutes to get there.

The series went out of their way to say sandbagging will not be allowed and they use technology to enforce this policy. Why not use technology to enforce the rules of the race as well?
Old 8 Jan 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3351646)   #5291
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
And touching on what lead to the officiating debate, at Daytona, aside from the infield, you have a nice wide oval to pass on. At Sebring and elsewhere, that's where the speed separation will be potentially a very big problem.

I just remember the combined WEC/ALMS race at Sebring in '12, where there were a ton of full course cautions because of pro vs pro-am drivers, traffic congestion, and speed separation issues between classes, and that was largely to ACO regs. The problem there is that the ACO don't want the LMP1 cars to go beyond a certain lap time, or at least above a certain percentage. So we have LMP1 cars that can run the same lap times the 3.5 liter Group C cars could, but whilst doing so, are significantly slower in top speed--the 331km/h (205mph) that an Audi did last year is on the order of nearly, or potentially more than, 10mph slower than the Peugeot 905s did in '93.

They want LMP2s to be a certain percentage slower than LMP1, GTE-Pro being a certain percentage slower than LMP2, and GTE-Am being legislated to be slower on average than GTE-Pro though the use of year old cars and gentleman drivers.

The old problem is that it's much easier to pass down a straight than in a corner.

I don't think that the DP's can be made faster, have to be made faster, nor does it seem that IMSA wants them any faster. LMP2 at Daytona need to be sped up, but IMSA worries that they can't without threatening reliability. LMPC is borderline LMP2 pace, in line with what IMSA wanted (target lap time of a 1:42), but they're the slowest cars down the straights and on the oval. GTE's aren't a ton faster than the GTD cars, which are much faster on top end on the power sections of the track.

May not be a huge problem at Daytona because of their being a lot of room to pass on the oval, but at Sebring or any of the shorter or slower tracks where full fields race, there can be definite issues. Especially Sebring, because the last time they had as big a field as they might with the TUSCC/NAEC was the combined WEC/ALMS race, and that probably set a record in the modern era for full course cautions.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3351799)   #5292
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wasn't directly referring to my incident at Laguna, but it's as good an example as any. Paul will tell anyone who asks him the same thing, if he doesn't personally see it either on the live broadcast or on the CCTV in race control he will not issue a penalty. It doesn't matter what the corner workers say or if you have in-car video after the fact and show it to him. It's the way he does things.
It doesn't matter how nice a guy he is, that means he's simply not doing his job. But it does explain why the ALMS officiating has become so useless.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3351826)   #5293
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
It doesn't matter how nice a guy he is, that means he's simply not doing his job. But it does explain why the ALMS officiating has become so useless.
It was certainly worse in 2013 than I've ever seen it before.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3351829)   #5294
Mac K
Rookie

Canada
Ontario,Canada
Mac K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Speaking about broadcasting, do you know if the TUSCC races are live streamed on their website flag to flag like ALMS did? And for Europeans as well
Doesn't look like it...

http://www.imsa.com/imsa101/how-watch-faqs

HOW TO WATCH - FAQS

On what channel can I find IMSA TUDOR United SportsCar Championship races?
All TUDOR Championship races can been seen on FOX Sports 1 or FOX Sports 2.

What do I do if I don't get FOX Sports 1 or FOX Sports 2?
Contact your local cable provider.

Is online streaming available?
Online streaming is not available at this time, but will be in the future.

Where can I watch archived races?
Archived races will be available on IMSA.com 24 hours after the broadcast on FS1 or FS2.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3351845)   #5295
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least there is online archive.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3351848)   #5296
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac K View Post

Is online streaming available?
Online streaming is not available at this time, but will be in the future.
And yet...

Quote:
Bob Varsha ‏@bobvarsha 4 Jan
“@LarryCarta: @bobvarsha thanks Bob. FS1 or 2? Or both? We still don't have 2 on Xfinity I n my area!” Live streaming is available.
Quote:
Bob Varsha ‏@bobvarsha 4 Jan
“@LarryCarta: @bobvarsha has a broadcast schedule for Rolex been announced? Will many hours?” No, but about 15 hours, plus live streaming.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3351850)   #5297
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by extramundane View Post
And yet...
Yeah, but that's been done for only the Rolex for a couple years now. The rest of the races aren't subject to that.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 01:14 (Ref:3351860)   #5298
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Yeah, but that's been done for only the Rolex for a couple years now. The rest of the races aren't subject to that.
I must have missed the announcement that there would be no streaming for the rest of the schedule.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 02:09 (Ref:3351870)   #5299
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by extramundane View Post
I must have missed the announcement that there would be no streaming for the rest of the schedule.
That's what it says on IMSA's website right now. Seems like enough of an announcement to me.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 02:33 (Ref:3351882)   #5300
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
And yet a member of the Fox broadcast team says otherwise.
Closed Thread