Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3388035)   #6276
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still no code 60, still have the lap down wave by...

Just stupid.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3388044)   #6277
Rookie

962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All good changes that should alleviate most of the major race control problems that we've seen so far. Three driver/stewards in race control is awesome! Combined with driver accountability for mistakes like they had at Sebring I have to say I'm impressed with the changes.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3388047)   #6278
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We still have the NASCAR lucky dog wave-by nonsense at all races except Long Beach. The attitude and desire to throw yellows to bunch things up remains unchanged as the same folks are still calling the shots… If ones is not familiar with all the cars in the RACE and has to rely on numbers on a screen perhaps one should not be in RACE control...
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3388049)   #6279
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
We still have the NASCAR lucky dog wave-by nonsense at all races except Long Beach. The attitude and desire to throw yellows to bunch things up remains unchanged as the same folks are still calling the shots… If ones is not familiar with all the cars in the RACE and has to rely on numbers on a screen perhaps one should not be in RACE control...
Laguna Seca won't have them.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:35 (Ref:3388052)   #6280
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You get my drift, the cancerous philosophy of what meddling with the on track action and purity of the race remains unabated. To me this announcement shows a compromise reached by the two camps behind the scenes. There are those who insist on maintaining a "racing entertainment" attitude and meddling with the genuine flow and integrity of the races. This will leave the ill-will of the majority of the fans in tact and a resentment towards the series.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3388059)   #6281
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This free food is terrible and there's not enough of it!
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:43 (Ref:3388060)   #6282
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I understand, and I PERSONALLY believe this new way should be adopted for any race under 6 hours, but that isn't happening.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3388064)   #6283
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be better - only half the yellows will take a half hour. The competition will only be half as compromised, shows TUSCC only half gets it - but still a major improvement.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3388066)   #6284
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I don't like this statement at all:

Quote:
Efforts also will be made to use “Debris Yellows” where a situation is likely to involve the simple removal of debris or the flat-tow of a stopped car to a safe location. A Debris Yellow includes the Pass-Around procedure, but the pits remain closed until the race is restarted.
"Simple" removal of debris and stopped cars should only involve local yellows unless the debris or car is in a very dangerous position.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3388072)   #6285
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post

"Simple" removal of debris and stopped cars should only involve local yellows unless the debris or car is in a very dangerous position.

Equally sad is that this procedure was available at Daytona and Sebring and would have helped a lot but was unused - it took two disastrous races to remind them - and in fact a local or no yellow would often be even better. It seems to me that these yellow practices are based on oval racing standards.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3388074)   #6286
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
They used a debris yellow at the end of Daytona, no?
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3388077)   #6287
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post

Pure fact. Again, Code 60 works just fine. Doesn't require a wave-around, or anything else.

Code 60-remove car or debris-green flag.

Should take no more than 5 minutes, I don't understand the aversion to this. The debris yellow does nothing but ditch the pit sequencing which takes little time. The wave-by is the worst of it. So instead of a 30min FCY, we now get 20min FCY...

That's a minimal improvement. In my eyes, it's equal.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3388080)   #6288
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yes, they used a "debris" yellow. Too bad there was no debris or stalled car.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:54 (Ref:3388081)   #6289
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yes, else it would've finished under yellow since the pit sequence/ldwb takes so long.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3388094)   #6290
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Pure fact. Again, Code 60 works just fine. Doesn't require a wave-around, or anything else.

Code 60-remove car or debris-green flag.

Should take no more than 5 minutes, I don't understand the aversion to this.
Lawyers. I wouldn't have expected a large rules change like the implementation of code-60 mid-season. Maybe it's something they will look at for next year.

So they have acknowledged that they have 'heard' the complaints. That really doesn't make any difference and everyone knew this statement was coming. We will have to see if there is a change in implementation and overall philosophy in race control.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3388099)   #6291
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Lawyers. I wouldn't have expected a large rules change like the implementation of code-60 mid-season. Maybe it's something they will look at for next year.

So they have acknowledged that they have 'heard' the complaints. That really doesn't make any difference and everyone knew this statement was coming. We will have to see if there is a change in implementation and overall philosophy in race control.
Is it really that big of a rules change though? The pit limiters are already set to 60kph.

Elkins/Atherton have stated a billion times that Code 60 doesn't work for them, even in the ALMS days. They feel compelled to do the wave around, pit sequence, and green. There just is no need.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3388104)   #6292
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I definitely don't want to see anyone hurt at a car race, particularly corner workers or emergency responders. However, I think IMSA uses it as an excuse, just like NASCAR uses it as an excuse, to throw as many FCYs as they can get away with. FCYs are NOT just seen as a means to safely clear debris and/or vehicles off the track. It is seen as a way to bunch up the field, prevent cars from going a lap down and artificially create drama. NASCAR has openly stated that their fans absolutely LOVE restarts, which is beyond fine for NASCAR. Yellow flags are the way to create more restarts. The problem is this "one size fits all" mentality of NASCAR. Yes, there are many good,things ANY racing series can learn from NASCAR (like promotion of races), but not everything from NASCAR applies to every racing series.

That's why IMSA doesn't want to use Code 60. It doesn't bunch up the field, give back free laps and artificially create drama. There is ZERO chance of a car in any class at any TUSCC race winning a race by two or more laps over second place no matter how brilliant the drive, efficient the pit crew or genius the team manager. It will NOT be allowed to happen unless it's the only car in its class still running at the end of the race.

Last edited by Dodge_Swinger; 3 Apr 2014 at 00:31. Reason: Forgot to reference Code 60
Old 3 Apr 2014, 00:57 (Ref:3388111)   #6293
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
I definitely don't want to see anyone hurt at a car race, particularly corner workers or emergency responders. However, I think IMSA uses it as an excuse, just like NASCAR uses it as an excuse, to throw as many FCYs as they can get away with. FCYs are NOT just seen as a means to safely clear debris and/or vehicles off the track. It is seen as a way to bunch up the field, prevent cars from going a lap down and artificially create drama. NASCAR has openly stated that their fans absolutely LOVE restarts, which is beyond fine for NASCAR. Yellow flags are the way to create more restarts. The problem is this "one size fits all" mentality of NASCAR. Yes, there are many good,things ANY racing series can learn from NASCAR (like promotion of races), but not everything from NASCAR applies to every racing series.

That's why IMSA doesn't want to use Code 60. It doesn't bunch up the field, give back free laps and artificially create drama. There is ZERO chance of a car in any class at any TUSCC race winning a race by two or more laps over second place no matter how brilliant the drive, efficient the pit crew or genius the team manager. It will NOT be allowed to happen unless it's the only car in its class still running at the end of the race.
The talk about having code 60 in TUSK is like Promotion/relegation in Major League soccer. Which is: a cool european concept that is not going to be implemented in America any time soon.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 02:18 (Ref:3388128)   #6294
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Is it really that big of a rules change though? The pit limiters are already set to 60kph.

Elkins/Atherton have stated a billion times that Code 60 doesn't work for them, even in the ALMS days. They feel compelled to do the wave around, pit sequence, and green. There just is no need.
Maybe I'm jaded because I've been dealing with lawyers all week but yes. My apologies to any poster that happens to be a lawyer, but, hey, I'm a contractor so I'll buy you a beer in hell.

I haven't put much thought into this, but what about increasing the speed of the safety car?
Old 3 Apr 2014, 03:19 (Ref:3388135)   #6295
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
And the green flew and they had to fuel the car, THEN change tires, thereby negating most, if not all of an advantage they gained.
Right, that's why so many laps were not regained using the process.

L.P.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3388136)   #6296
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962 View Post
All good changes that should alleviate most of the major race control problems that we've seen so far. Three driver/stewards in race control is awesome! Combined with driver accountability for mistakes like they had at Sebring I have to say I'm impressed with the changes.
I think that they certainly are positive adjustments.

L.P.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3388285)   #6297
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I haven't put much thought into this, but what about increasing the speed of the safety car?
LDWB would take more time. To exaggerate, how long would it take a LD to catch up to the field if they were stopped vs. the amount of time it would take the LD to catch up to the field if there was no FCY? Roughly the time for one lap vs. they wouldn't catch up because they are a lap down....And should stay there without external aid.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3388316)   #6298
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure why at the split races they can't just pit all cars on the same lap. Pit lane should surely be able to hold 30 cars at most tracks.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3388322)   #6299
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoske View Post
Not sure why at the split races they can't just pit all cars on the same lap. Pit lane should surely be able to hold 30 cars at most tracks.
In general I'd say that they like to have the procedures consistent between rounds to keep people (drivers, teams, and officials) from screwing up. However, I don't disagree with you..

-mike
Old 3 Apr 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3388340)   #6300
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
In general I'd say that they like to have the procedures consistent between rounds to keep people (drivers, teams, and officials) from screwing up. However, I don't disagree with you..

-mike
How hard is it in the drivers meeting to say...

"...There is no split pit procedure, you can all enter when pits open..."

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but, I feel like things are just way, way too complicated sometimes.
Closed Thread