Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 11 Apr 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3391277)   #6426
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It makes sense. You can build a great racecar but it will be slowed down below a DP. Why go with that failed business plan? If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd buy one of those 1970's tech cars. They might cost much more than a P2 car but at least the car will win and can do it with rudimentary technology. Winning is what sponsors want to see. So price your program around a DP and at least give that sponsor some time on TV.

Once the sponsor finds out that all of us will refuse to go to races, then they will demand that the teams go toward high tech and teams being able to make their car go faster through hard work.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3391278)   #6427
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They were slower for a lot of the Sebring race. Slower at Daytona, now probably slower again this weekend. Thats not even.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3391282)   #6428
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Why are people commenting as if the P2s have been obliterated by the DPs. We are dealing with a very small sample size: 2 races.
Sebring was the first race with the high-downforce configurations on the cars, so it's really just one race after which all the P2 teams are threatening to leave if they're not guaranteed a win.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3391291)   #6429
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
The WEC has developed as the premier series for international sports car racing. Before the WEC came on strong, the ALMS had that role (except for LeMans).

If only we had better coverage of the WEC in the U.S.
It feels like a throwback to the times before ALMS. All the cool cars are running elsewhere and we have to scramble to find coverage.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3391292)   #6430
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
It feels like a throwback to the times before ALMS. All the cool cars are running elsewhere and we have to scramble to find coverage.
We have great coverage of the WEC in the US. A commercial-free stream in HD.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3391294)   #6431
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
They were slower for a lot of the Sebring race. Slower at Daytona, now probably slower again this weekend. Thats not even.
Might want to check you speed info from Sebring. The gt-eins site would be a good place to start. Also one of the cool things about endurance races is you never know how things are going to play out. 3 p2's in top 5 at Sebring all on lead lap seems pretty good to me.

It also seems that a lot of folks in this thread are more than happy to write off this series after 2 races and one practice. I'm still willing to give it a shot. No it isn't perfect but it is still early.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3391296)   #6432
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Might want to check you speed info from Sebring. The gt-eins site would be a good place to start. Also one of the cool things about endurance races is you never know how things are going to play out. 3 p2's in top 5 at Sebring all on lead lap seems pretty good to me.

It also seems that a lot of folks in this thread are more than happy to write off this series after 2 races and one practice. I'm still willing to give it a shot. No it isn't perfect but it is still early.
This is not an endurance race. It's a 100 minute sprint race at a circuit that heavily favors a DP. Sprinkle in the inevitable 25-minute FCY and you have even less time.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:14 (Ref:3391302)   #6433
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
This is not an endurance race. It's a 100 minute sprint race at a circuit that heavily favors a DP. Sprinkle in the inevitable 25-minute FCY and you have even less time.
I was responding to a comment about Sebring. And i was making a comment that it is getting old hearing the same old negative diatribe time and time again.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3391309)   #6434
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I was responding to a comment about Sebring. And i was making a comment that it is getting old hearing the same old negative diatribe time and time again.
But it is the truth and nothing but the truth judge!

It looks like TUSCC will only be DP pretty soon until the new cars in 2016/17.

Why would you race if you can't win,some American teams will use it to test their new P2 Coupes to get ready for WEC thats it.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3391312)   #6435
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
These session times have pretty much killed my interest in TUSCC.

I will have a hard time dragging myself to the event at Indy and certainly won't be going to Petit this year.

This is a real shame. Hope someday I can really love American sportscar racing again.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 00:59 (Ref:3391330)   #6436
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I did not repeat a tired old diatribe. I pointed out that there seems always to be a one-second difference in laptimes between the two types of prototypes and that given that DPs have 150 more bhp and who knows how much more torque, it is hard to imagine how a p2 could beat them--All of them--givent eh simple facts of physics--including the bit where two masses cannot occupy the same space.

I am not writing off the series but I--a race fan for years who thinks he knows at least a little--don't see where a car which cannot keep up on the fast or the slow tracks, is going to win. Any slow corner, long straight, or restart gives the DPs the edge.

P2s Might have a chance in endurance races--but once the DP teams figure out how to run their cars in changing conditions (and with the Honda and Ford turbos getting stronger in cooling night conditions, as the ESM motor did) then it is hard to see where the P2s will make up the difference.

What we saw at Daytona is the same thing we might see at any track with a long straight--the P2s rule in the mid- and fast corners, and the DPs make it up on the straights.

I cannot blame any of the old ALMS/ crew, or really any racing fan, for being disappointed when it does seem that at every track DPs have a second in speed over the P2s, and no a lot of tracks which favor the P2s ... but I am not giving up on the series yet.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3391367)   #6437
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
These session times have pretty much killed my interest in TUSCC.

I will have a hard time dragging myself to the event at Indy and certainly won't be going to Petit this year.

This is a real shame. Hope someday I can really love American sportscar racing again.
+1
I'm regretting having already bought my tickets to the Road America race.

I have committed myself to following the New IMSA for the first year, however this is really feeling more like a burden rather than something that I enjoy.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3391369)   #6438
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I dont need to check anything. I watched the race through. Only at certain times were select lmp2 cars setting faster laps. That didn't matter much when they were SLOWER than the dp's, as in speed. The huge deciding factor is power, which dp's have an abundance of. Im not writing off the series, Im saying their bop is off. How are they going to be better in the future if they cant get it right now? Just seems like favortism is going on, thats my opinion.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 03:57 (Ref:3391371)   #6439
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm thinking that IMSA is wary of the DP teams complaining, "you told us to buy >$100,000 worth of upgrades and now you want us to take some of it off? Why did we even spend that money in the first place!"

It probably wouldn't be exactly like that, but I can imagine at least a few teams complaining. Even if the change might help the credibility of the series.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 04:15 (Ref:3391376)   #6440
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
What IMSA should do it buy the parts back from the teams.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 04:16 (Ref:3391377)   #6441
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
But it is the truth and nothing but the truth judge!

...some American teams will use it to test their new P2 Coupes to get ready for WEC thats it.
EUROPEAN teams did exactly that at Sebring and Petit under ALMS; leaving the rest of the season as "The Audi Show" until even Audi got bored with it. ALMS eventually had to pad skimpy fields with spec GTC and the spec class everybody here loves to hate, PC.

Last edited by belt driven; 12 Apr 2014 at 04:21.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 04:23 (Ref:3391378)   #6442
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A lot of us realized there was a tremendous opportunity to combine the marketing strength and deep pockets of NASCAR with the ability of ALMS to attract the top teams, cars and drivers in the world and have them race in America on a regular basis.

If, and that's a huge if, the powers and money behind the new series were interested in continuing this trend then they had a chance to be the best in the world. They decided otherwise and the results have become very obvious. Instead of BOP, they decided to follow a script and manipulate outcomes rather than running with the opportunity. A lot of us happened to notice that.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3391379)   #6443
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we made it in time, for practice 2 and qualifying. Gotta say i am not impressed and really disappointed with the P qualifying and top two fords just seems fishy. gtlm oddly felt different. Not super excited for tomorrow thinking about just going home.and I have laguna booked too, feeling very disappoints.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3391440)   #6444
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
I'm thinking that IMSA is wary of the DP teams complaining, "you told us to buy >$100,000 worth of upgrades and now you want us to take some of it off? Why did we even spend that money in the first place!"

It probably wouldn't be exactly like that, but I can imagine at least a few teams complaining. Even if the change might help the credibility of the series.

The problem is that they PROMISED the DP teams they would be competitive in the 'merged' series, they ALLOWED the P2s in.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3391500)   #6445
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
In reference to the 'competing watch manufacturers not allowed' discussions from last year, no Breitling logos on Bentleys in BES this weekend.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3391510)   #6446
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
The problem is that they PROMISED the DP teams they would be competitive in the 'merged' series, they ALLOWED the P2s in.
And that's why DPs are so overpowered in any ways... Even more with bad officiating.

On the other hand, I'm worried that Porsche could win Long Beach. I want someone other than Porsche to win.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3391512)   #6447
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
And that's why DPs are so overpowered in any ways... Even more with bad officiating.

On the other hand, I'm worried that Porsche could win Long Beach. I want someone other than Porsche to win.

It takes a fair bit of skill to officiate the winner of choice.

Sadly, Porsche was a favored manufacturer of both ALMS and Grand-Am, pretty likely of the 'merged' series too.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3391516)   #6448
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Most were happy to write it off in 2013 and have only sought affirmation in 2014. To their credit, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the positives so far, but that sentiment can be applied to just about ALL forms of motor racing these days and only gets exacerbated with all the negative waves in here and other threads. However, their are plenty of positives that I can still focus on in TUSC and elsewhere. Spot on MrB, 2.25 races in and I am not jumping ship just yet.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3391519)   #6449
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Most were happy to write it off in 2013 and have only sought affirmation in 2014. To their credit, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the positives so far, but that sentiment can be applied to just about ALL forms of motor racing these days and only gets exacerbated with all the negative waves in here and other threads. However, their are plenty of positives that I can still focus on in TUSC and elsewhere. Spot on MrB, 2.25 races in and I am not jumping ship just yet.
I'll admit that I had low expectations but was optimistic enough to go Sebring anyway. So, one of the few good green flag periods was during the Bikini contest so I missed the contest and then they screwed up the rest of the race. I feel that the current incarnation of IMSA is operating well beneath my previous low expectations and their halfway solutions aren't enough to get me past the DVR, even though the racers are doing a great job in spite of the organizers
Old 12 Apr 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3391522)   #6450
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Not super excited for tomorrow thinking about just going home...
But they have "the best life style expo," as Jim Michaelian once told me when I expressed concern about the yearly expansion of advert banners covering previously good track viewing areas. Also the continuous comparison of LB to Monaco cracks me up.
Stay and enjoy the atmosphere. Or stay and go across the harbour to San Pedro Brewing.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Closed Thread